Author Topic: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)  (Read 67765 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Captain America (Movie & Sequels)
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2016, 02:30 PM »
And I get the sense that the government wants to hold both of them responsible for the creation of Ultron which led directly to the Sokovia incident.  I think it is precisely because of that particular incident and it's causality that leads Tony Stark to play ball with the government regarding the registration and control of super-human activities.

OK, I'll buy that.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2016, 02:31 PM »
I haven't read the comics either, even tho I've heard that someone dies, but I wonder after all the fighting each other how do you even team up again as Avengers how do you be 'friends' again?

He's called Thanos.   8)
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2016, 03:47 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how they adapt the comics to film.  My main problem with Tony agreeing to be controlled is that he knows that Hydra pretty much controlled the whole government just two movies ago.  The World Council.  Everything.  So that's who he wants to put in charge of the Avengers?

And each of those big destructive events - what would have been the outcome had the Avengers not acted independently?  New York City nuked & the world conquered by aliens.  Every special/consequential human on earth executed.  And total global extinction.

So it just seems there has to be a breach in logic to go along with the "we caused this destruction" argument.

There is a world of difference between saying "You are a superhero, you need to register with the United States, be properly trained, and may be called into service when we need you" versus "Do anything I say because I'm the government."  I think Tony's side is attempting to obey the law, but would be watchful of anything that didn't fit with humane, ethical decisions.  Think of it more like a draft - the world could be called into a war with aliens or Asgardians or evil robots or whatever.  They can't fight that with conventional weapons, so they want the super hero community available to help as needed versus just hoping they show up.  The government might even have better intelligence to help the Avengers pursue common interests.  If they really thought there was any chance Hydra or something other nefarious group was still calling the shots, I think both Steve and Tony's teams would be trying to root out the bad guys.  As for previous destructive events, I think the government would argue that a registered, coordinated force of super powered people might have been able to better defend against those threats and maybe even prevent them all together.  Fewer deaths in New York, better ability to have infiltrated and shut down Hydra, no Ultron battle in the first place because they'd have oversight to Tony's defense plan. 

I haven't read the comics either, even tho I've heard that someone dies, but I wonder after all the fighting each other how do you even team up again as Avengers how do you be 'friends' again? I can't wait to see the movie but I'm interested in how the post Civil War plays out.

The comic is really good, with some great battle scenes and ethical debates.  There are obviously way more heroes involved in the battles and Spiderman plays a pretty pivotal role.  Looks to me like Black Widow will be a bigger factor this time around.  Without giving to much away, it is eventually discovered that a third party was helping orchestrate the civil war, and nothing brings people back together like a common enemy. Thor helps them reconcile, as does time.  Like always, the movie version will change some things around.  They don't have the time to rebuild relationships in little 2 hour spans.  Far easier to just dispose of the characters...Its definitely possible that we see someone else in the armor or carrying the shield after this movie. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Seems like the number one sort of highlight from the new trailer for Captain America: Civil War is the appearance by Spider-Man.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2016, 10:12 AM »
I personally liked seeing Ant-Man riding Hawkeye's arrow and running up Iron Man's arm.  It looked like he was about to get a pretty good shot in on Stark!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 13, 2016, 05:21 PM »
I personally liked seeing Ant-Man riding Hawkeye's arrow and running up Iron Man's arm.  It looked like he was about to get a pretty good shot in on Stark!

Ditto. That Ant-Man riding Hawk's arrow is a classic move from the comics. 

From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 15, 2016, 02:32 PM »
So excited for this. The movie itself looks great, but Spidey joining the MCU is the cherry on top. Sort of enjoying having the one two punch of Star Wars at Christmas and Marvel in the summer every year.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 9, 2016, 09:33 AM »
Just saw a number of tweets from people who went to a press screening of Civil War.  Most of them seem to have been overwhelmingly positive.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2016, 09:41 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 26, 2016, 09:02 AM »
This is just great!  Marvel Studios launched their own mock cable news channel to debate the issues at the heart of the story of Civil War.  They've got one actress to reprise her reporter role from Iron Man and Iron Man 2 for these spots, in addition to Daily Show veteran Al Madrigal.  And these videos have been getting produced and released for months with mock news stories that revolve around MCU characters.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:40 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 26, 2016, 10:17 AM »
Could you provide a link; this ones not working, Nick.  Thanks.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 26, 2016, 10:33 AM »
Just saw a number of tweets from people who went to a press screening of Civil War.  Most of them seem to have been overwhelmingly positive.

Talked to a guy at a party on Saturday who saw an early viewing and he claims it is the best of the Marvel movies yet.  Getting more psyched by the day...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 26, 2016, 10:41 AM »

Fixed the link.  Try it now.

BTW, I saw one of the LEGO sets for this movie.  And it features a GIANT spoiler!

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 27, 2016, 09:11 AM »

Fixed the link.  Try it now.

BTW, I saw one of the LEGO sets for this movie.  And it features a GIANT spoiler!

Was it a giant mechanical spider that was suppose to be in Nichols Cage Superman movie? Hollywood seems to love big CG spiders.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 27, 2016, 09:59 AM »
If you didn't pick up on "Marvel" and "GIANT", I'm just not going to spoon feed it to you.

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40 AM »
If you didn't pick up on "Marvel" and "GIANT", I'm just not going to spoon feed it to you.

That set has been out for a while.  I wouldn't say it's a huge spoiler given how another Marvel movie ended.  Cool that they are going this route though and I like the set.