Author Topic: Thor (Movie & Sequels)  (Read 50608 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Thor (Movie & Sequels)
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2010, 12:15 PM »
I had no idea that this was so far along in production.  At most I expected a lame teaser with a hammer and a Thor logo.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2010, 03:43 PM »
One that's still working

It looks ******* fantastic.

"Is that one of Stark's?"

"I dunno.  He never tells me anything."

-----------------------------------------------

I'm not a huge fan of Thor in Marvel comics, but as he related to the latest round of Asgardian action in Siege, I loved most of those books.

That said, this looks awesome and I'll be seeing it opening day for sure.  That trailer is on steroids, 5 minutes long.   Whew.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Crap.  Looks like a direct to DVD movie with *SPOILER*

Thor coming to earth and all.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:42 PM by ruiner »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I'm not sure what to think yet.  The trailer does have some pretty cool stuff, but it is a little...different...than what we're used to I guess with comic book movies.  It will be interesting to see how a movie like this does.  Although I do like Thor, I can't say that I've really read a lot of his individual stories but more so the Avengers team stuff (or event stuff).  I've read some of the somewhat recent JMS run on the character, but as far as older stuff goes, not really.  I do hope it turns out well though.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2010, 10:17 PM »
I dunno why but i totally geeked hearing them mention Stark. How crazy is it that we're getting a series of movies that intertwine with one another like this? That said, this movie looks like it'll be pretty cool, though it really looks like it's got a lot going on to fit into a normal movie length.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2010, 11:39 AM »
I dunno why but i totally geeked hearing them mention Stark. How crazy is it that we're getting a series of movies that intertwine with one another like this? That said, this movie looks like it'll be pretty cool, though it really looks like it's got a lot going on to fit into a normal movie length.

Yeah, I really like that whole "shared universe" thing as well.  The only thing that bugs me about it is I really wish characters like Spidey, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four could be included as well - but the fact that they are licensed out to other studios (Sony, Fox) means they can't be.  I mean, how cool would it be to have cameos like that in each other's movies?  Especially since the majority of the MU is based in NYC.

I hope that WB/DC tries to build the same type of "shared universe" with their movies as well, although sometimes it doesn't sound like they care about that.  Nolan's Batman is obviously a thing all its own, but his possible future Superman sounds like it may be as well.  We'll see if there is anything included in Green Lantern, but having Amanda Waller in the cast of characters might mean there is something there.  I mean, if done well, just think how cool it would be if they took the "Marvel approach" and built towards a Justice League movie.  That, at least if done reasonably well, would be huge.  There is so much buzz with the Avengers already, and I think the JLA probably has a lot more recognition among "non-fans".  The only thing is, I imagine they would have to have a new Batman - but I'm not all that sure that Nolan/Bale's Batman would really fit into a JLA movie very well.  The individual franchise is great, but it is tougher picturing Bale growling his Batman voice at the other JLA members.  Anyways...back to Thor....:)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2010, 11:58 AM »
DC is a licensing nightmare.  Too many creators and studios own too many different rights.  It's a wonder they get anything at all on TV or the big screen.  For Smallville on TV they can't show Superman's costume or even call him "Superman" because the rights are held by a different entity than owns "Clark Kent" and "Smallville."

I've heard that Marvel Studios is trying to collect back all their properties as the agreements with other studios expire.  I know the Punisher recently reverted.  I think Fantastic Four is likely to revert soon.  But with Spider-man and X-men I'm thinking Sony and Fox are going to continue to pay out huge licensing fees to keep their claws in them.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2010, 12:45 PM »
DC is a licensing nightmare.  Too many creators and studios own too many different rights.  It's a wonder they get anything at all on TV or the big screen.  For Smallville on TV they can't show Superman's costume or even call him "Superman" because the rights are held by a different entity than owns "Clark Kent" and "Smallville."

Interesting...I always figured that the costume and name was something that they were saving until the end when Clark truly became Superman.  I guess it will just end with him being the blur in the black shirt with the logo.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2010, 01:14 PM »
I know they're negotiating with the rights holders for a closing shot of him in the real costume to finish the series.  So far they haven't agreed to terms, from what I've heard.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2010, 01:44 PM »
As far as Bats goes, odds are he'll get another reboot after Nolan's 3rd installment, so maybe they can do something with that version. As far as I'm concerned though, they shouldn't even bother with a Justice League movie unless they can at least get the big 3 involved. Supes, Bats and Wonder Woman are a must. Wierd about all the licensing stuff though, I thought WB owned most of em since they always appear under that banner. Are the rules different with animation or somthing? There seems to be no trouble mixing characters together in animated form.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2010, 01:50 PM »
There are TV rights, movie rights, video game rights.  WB might own the rights to JLA for animation.  I know they couldn't use the team name "JLA" in Smallville because of rights issues, so they called them "JSA" which I guess was another DC team.  I also read how the estates of some character creators have sued DC and won the rights to various characters.  It's truly insane.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Sounds like a nightmare for the legal departments. I guess it'll be something of a miracle if it ever happens, which is a shame. I wonder what the creators of these characters would say about it all, would they be all for seeing them on the big screen together? Would they want a crap load of money for it or it's a no go? Or would they even care one way or another?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2010, 02:06 PM »
I know that DC really took advantage of a bunch of artists and writers in their early days, particularly the guys who made Superman, just because of how copyright was set up back then.  They might not be all that upset to see their heirs fights for some piece of the pie.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Yeah, as far as the JLA goes, if they can't use all the "big guns" in one movie - I don't know if I'd be interested either.  I want the "Big 3" of Bats, Supes, and WW - as well as the Flash, Green Lantern, and hopefully characters like Aquaman and Martian Manhunter.  The "Big 7" if you will....I agree though, if there is a Batman included, it will likely be a new one.  From the sounds of things, Nolan (and likely Bale) will be done with the character once their trilogy is complete (in 2012), and then we'll probably see a reboot.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Maybe the reboot of Batman can make him MORE Dark and MORE sinister and LESS of a hero.  That would be unique... ::)

Give me 60's era TV Batman any day.