Author Topic: Jedi Points? Your Prediction  (Read 12916 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Jedi Points? Your Prediction
« on: July 17, 2003, 10:15 AM »
Looks like this will be announced tomorrow.  What are your thoughts of what it might be? Like most people I have so many points I am afraid that it will be an item that will only use up about 1/10th of my points.  I am hoping for some type of army builder which will allow us to get rid of them all.  It would of been nice to offer a few items to those who collect different items or have a certain amount of points.  Hasbro should of offered 4 items that would appeal to everyone.

1.  Basic fig
2.  Micromachine
3.  12" fig
4.  Playset

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Jedi Points? Your Prediction
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 10:30 AM »
Oh boy!  Finally!!!  I would think a figure makes most sense since that is the bread and butter of the line.  Wasn't a silver Clone rumored at one time...that is what my money is on right now

And nice of you to swing in Jim  :)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 10:33 AM »
The Silver Clone Trooper is going to be a Toys R Us exclusive at Holiday time.  Pretty much the same deal as the silver R2-D2.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 10:35 AM »
I hope it's an army builder of some sort.  I just know that I have a ton of points and should be able to get multiples of whatever they offer.  (That 12" line, along with the ships, really ring up the points).
I just hope it's not one per address.    :P
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 10:35 AM »
Hmm, strike one...well...

Super Articulated Clone Trooper???

Ties into the Clone Wars line to boot

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 10:43 AM »
And nice of you to swing in Jim  :)

Thanks Scott!  I have been away for about 8 months now with only about 1/2 dozen posts in other forums.  Thought I would try out the water here once again.  There seems to be quite a few familiar faces and the maturity level seems to be much better.  

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 11:30 AM »
I can just hear Hasbro now...

"Oh, and our announcement concerning Jedi Master points, just keep saving them, we have something in store for you soon!"
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 11:47 AM »
The way I see it is this....

If they're going to do this promotion, it has to be on some level where children can get in on it.

Meaning, if I was 8 years old, I probably wouldn't have the means to save up 3000 jedi master points.

So, if it was say a figure, it would have to cost around 100 or 200 points max for a child to be able to get it.

So I hope they make something where we can order multiples.

Quite frankly, I'd prefer that it either be something completely exclusive - prefereably an army builder, OR...

Commtech stormtroopers - because then I'd be happy getting more than 1.  Because i have around 3500 JMPs and I'm sure many of you guys have even more than that.

If they do make something that costs 1000 or more points, that's fine with me, but it would make lots of people upset (carded collectors, kids).

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 12:49 PM »
Hey Jim, nice to finally see you stop in for a visit here at JD!   8)

As for the points...  Hmmm...  No idea what Hasbro's got up their sleeve on this one, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  Ever hear of that children's story Never Cry Wolf?  Yeah, after hearing Hasbro's excuses, delays, purported upcoming announcements, blah, blah, blah for what - 5 years now - I'm not expecting diddly squat here really...

But I'd be more than happy if Hasbro pleasantly surprises us all with something nice.  Hopefully I'll be sitting there at their session tomorrow at the Comic Con when they finally make the announcement.  I might get to personally witness one of the truly historical moments of collecting in the modern era...   :P

What are my guesses?  Obviously I'd love a new figure, or any figure for that matter.  I'm guessing if it's a figure, it'll be an older one, a rehash - possibly the Commtech Stormie like Rob mentioned.  That'd be a decent choice at least, though they'd have to place some kind of limit on the amount each address could receive, or just produce several hundred thousand more of these things!

Other possibilities:  Figure stands (boring), Hasbro collecting T-shirts...  Not really sure what else.

My question is, do you think they'll offer up just one item, for X number of points?  Or perhaps they might have a "tiered/pyramid" reward giveaway type of setup, like 300 points gets you some figure stands, 750 points gets you a shirt, 1500 points lands an army builder (rehash) figure, and 5000 points lands you a new, exclusive figure...   8)

I'll be quite curious to see how they handle the "you need to include your receipt(s)" deal.  Obviously a lot of the points we've saved up are pretty damned old now, and most people have tossed their respective receipts out long ago (but not me!  ;D)...  'Cause if it's just a "receiptless" offer, you're going to wind up seeing a lot of badly damaged product on the store shelves!  This is going to be very interesting to see how they run their JMP rewards program...   :-\

Hasbro's delay has backed them into a corner where they're now in a lose-lose situation for running their program IMO.  If they require receipts for all the old points, people will be PISSED!  If they don't, people will be PISSED at the chopped off points on a lot of retail store product.  If they say that the program is starting NOW, and will require receipts from 7/03 and on, people will be PISSED they wasted all their time collecting the old points.  Hasbro's in deep doodoo methinks!   ;)

BTW, here's an old thread with some further ideas on the Jedi Master Points redemption:
What do you want for your Jedi Master Points?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 12:53 PM by JediMAC »

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 12:54 PM »
i just hope it's something new, and not some rehashed fig or some revamped vehicle/playset.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 01:16 PM »
I'll be quite curious to see how they handle the "you need to include your receipt(s)" deal.  Obviously a lot of the points we've saved up are pretty damned old now, and most people have tossed their respective receipts out long ago (but not me!  ;D)...  'Cause if it's just a "receiptless" offer, you're going to wind up seeing a lot of badly damaged product on the store shelves!  This is going to be very interesting to see how they run their JMP rewards program...   :-\

GNT said that hasbro announced at some point that reciepts would NOT be required for whatever program they decide to put into place - specifically for the fact that it's been 4 years since JMPs first hit, and only now will there be a promotion.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 01:35 PM »
Matt makes a good point... Hasbro has backed themselves in a corner on this one.  I don't think they would be stupid enough to ask everyone for their receipts.  I hold all of my receipts for two years, and then they get tossed in the trash.  I'd say the majority of the people who buy Star Wars toys immediately throw out their receipts after making a purchase.

What exactly will Hasbro offer?  If I were them I would offer something in the "holy cow, is that awesome or what!?" category.  But, I have a feeling that it's not going to be anything great.  They'll probably offer something like...

-- action figure carrying case

-- some lame figure that didn't sell well (Lott Dodd, Mace Windu, flipping deluxe toys

-- Star Wars / Hasbro clothing

Whatever it is, we should find out tomorrow.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's actually going to be something worthwhile.  We can only hope for the best.
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2003, 01:35 PM »
If you turn in so many million, or even billion points, you get a signed letter of thanks from every executive at Hasbro, and George Lucas personally writes you a letter stating how he loves the funding you've provided for him to live in his own community, make his own movies, and basically do what he wants.

Or you get a solid gold Jedi Master Point that's like the size of a coffee table...

Oh, and Hasbro did say last year that the points wouldn't require receipts...  Whether they remain true to that word is up in the air.

If this redemption is lame, and they forced us to wait ALL this time, I'm gonna be one PO'd consumer...  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2003, 01:56 PM »
What if it turns out to be some kind of "rebate" of sorts. Like turn in 100 (or any amount) points and get sent a $5 coupon to be used towards any future Hasbro purchase. This way, you don't piss off the carded collectors because they don't miss out on a cool exclusive for lack of points to send in, and it will get people back in the store picking up more product to use these coupons on.

I know, probably very unlikely but as a carded collector who has at most a couple hundred points, I'd hate to see some awesome exclusive items that require 500 or even 1000 points to obtain.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2003, 05:01 PM »
Aw Jim, I can sell ya some if you like ;D

This should be very interesting.  WE'll see if they recognize the market as collector's or both simply by the amount of points and the reward.  The average kid is going to have maybe 300 points (30 single figs) whereas the average collector has somewhere between 1000-10000.  It will be interesting to see what happens but they are basically in a no win situation.  No way can they go with the receipt mentality given the length of time these things have been on cards and the fact that distribution has been horrible for most people since last fall.  

I hope it ain't clothing.  An army builder would be fine.  Silver Fett would kill the scalper market ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.