Author Topic: Jedi Points? Your Prediction  (Read 12946 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Jedi Points? Your Prediction
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2003, 03:53 PM »
Not worth the wait...

That's the best way to describe this debacle with the Jedi Master Points.

Offer an exclusive figure...  A 3.75", never before made, mail-away promo...  Do something civil for your consumers instead of this.

I have a lot of JMP's to use on an auction, but I could've given a rat's behind about their idea...  I have Toy Fair Vader...  I have Silver R2...  I have Jorg Sacul.

What this boils down to is Hasbro didn't want to do much for this pomotion...  They realize we are getting impatient on using these and that they needed to do something that would remedy the situation with the points, but not cost them anything because the franchise is failing.

So what's the answer?  Oh we'll auction off crap for them...  

It's insulting really, and they should've done something that let everyone get something they didn't have...  I'm sorry, but after the years of "Don't throw those away, you'll need them!" rhetoric, this answer they've given is unacceptable.

Maybe had this been 1998, we'd have gotten some new figure, but alas it's for not...  I miss the days of Muftak/Kabe, Spirit of Ben Kenobi, or Bo'Omar Monks...  Where have those days gone?  

Bad bad bad idea...  

Here's one...  Why not just make the bonus pit droids in a baggie...  So many points gets you a set.  I'd have been happy personally, wouldn't you have?  Or a grey jumpsuited Imperial Officer (just redeco the POTJ one in grey instead of black)?  I'd have gone for that.  Hell, I'd have used every point I have on that.

Nah, too simple, logical, and too giving to the fans I guess.

They've devised a plan where they think many people will use their points up wastefully, and those who don't win will just be SOL on the situation and may as well chuck those JMP's in as packing material the next time they're shipping a Star Wars figure to a friend who can't find diddly squat in his area.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2003, 03:56 PM »
Worth Posting Again

Just got off the phone with JediMAC, here is what hasbro had to say

The auctions will be held on eBay
Jedi Master points will somehow be converted to a $$$ amount
Only 3 months
Maybe only One time Deal
Auctions will be 1 week long
Need to be a registered starwars.hasbro.com member
US Citizens only

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2003, 04:01 PM »
Auctions? Ugh. This just sounds like a mess to deal with logistically and a good number of people won't be able to "spend" their points as they will be outbid. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that (hopefully) some collectors will be able to fill in holes in their collections, but this just isn't a good way to do it, IMO.
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2003, 04:06 PM »
Worth Posting Again

Just got off the phone with JediMAC, here is what hasbro had to say

The auctions will be held on eBay
Jedi Master points will somehow be converted to a $$$ amount
Only 3 months
Maybe only One time Deal
Auctions will be 1 week long
Need to be a registered starwars.hasbro.com member
US Citizens only

Hasbro is not making friends with the international market! US Citizens only  >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2003, 04:20 PM »
Just remebered Shipping and Handling will be included with the auction...so that is not extra

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2003, 06:45 PM »
From my post at RS:

Auction? It took them four years to come up with a friggin' AUCTION idea to spend the Jedi Points? What a load of bull***t. Why can't they just give away a Sacul, or some other exclusive/Hard to find fig for about 100 points each? I am extremely disappointed with Hasblow for this idea. I'll participate, but they'd better have some damn good deals on that site.

Now with the rules that OCB has posted, I will NOT be participating in this.

**** you Hasblow.

>:(
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2003, 02:24 PM »
Yep I agree.  Well maybe 3 people will be able to use their points when they win the auction.  LOL!  What a damn joke.  

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2003, 03:13 PM »
At least they could do is give us some more generic clones or something.

This auction idea maybe a "in the works" project but it's still a lame idea.

Good luck to those who has a billion JMPs.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2003, 01:14 AM »
Might I reinforce this...

WRITE to Hasbro.  Pen & Paper, or print it out, but send a letter to them ASAP.  I plan to this week...  Let them know your opinions...

I think the whole JMP debacle is insulting that they think this would have gone over well with the collecting community.  

I'm curious also, who is going to save theirs now?  I have a TF Vader, a Sacul, and an R2-D2...  Why should I spend them?  I may hold them still...  I wish others would as well, and boycot this most assenine of maneuvers by the big H.  Getting on Hasbro, and not acknowledging these auctions would be a nice way to send a strong message  to them that if they have their finger on any pulse, it's that of a corpse, and not this collecting community.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
How many JP points will it take?
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2003, 10:40 AM »
Like everyone else, I totally disagree with  the way Hasbro handled the JP's.  I just hope the figs dont end up being 10,000 points for some figure that has already been released. I also hope that collectors are not beat out by online stores.  What also scares me is the quantities available on a fig.  If they have a dozen TF Vaders then you are screwed.  Thousands of people will be bidding, leaving 99.9% with nothing to show.  This promotion will most likely fail and the Jedi Points in the future will be useless.  BTW, I have close to 8000 points and I probably dont even have a chance.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: How many JP points will it take?
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2003, 11:48 AM »
I have never really went and added my points up but the whole thing sorta is blah to me and unless that announce a full list of what will be up for auction I'll probably not even bother

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2003, 12:29 PM »
I was curious as to what the "cost" of some of the items may go for but with any auction I guess it will be upto demand.

I added up the points I could find, after 2 moves I lost a bunch. I doubt I will be in the running for anything as I keep most of my collection carded and boxed.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2003, 01:44 PM »
8000 points??!!  How you could you NOT be in the running for something??  I opened all my dolls, ships and other stuff (not all my figures but about half) and I have less than half the points you do!  Heck, I even have the UPC pieces that have no points (Jabba's dancers, orange card back etc..) .  
Just curious if you collect dolls also or if all your points are from figures and ships??

Beth

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2003, 01:53 PM »
8000 points??!!  How you could you NOT be in the running for something??  I opened all my dolls, ships and other stuff (not all my figures but about half) and I have less than half the points you do!  Heck, I even have the UPC pieces that have no points (Jabba's dancers, orange card back etc..) .  
Just curious if you collect dolls also or if all your points are from figures and ships??

All my points are from Figs, Ships, Beasts and Playsets.  At one point I had quite a few army builders which allowed me to acquire so many points. I sold most of my collection about 6 months ago due to  personal reasons and within the last few months have been re-acquiring what I had sold off.  Which in turn has allowed me even more points.  I gave away about 2000 more points to me nephew recently when he heard about the news of the auction. It may seem like alot, but I am sure there are greater numbers out there.  Plus, some online dealers must have tons of these.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2003, 02:01 PM »
I just found about 760 points worth of stuff I will open over the next couple of days.  Add that to probably about 1500 or so points already.  I haven't opened or touched any of the ships, beasts or deluxe sets yet.  I'm guessing I'll top out around 5000 or so points, but I too don't think I'll be in the running.  

I hadn't been paying attention to the lack of JMPs on POTF2 stuff, so you can imagine my dismay when I looked at those.  On the bright side, all my He-Man Lukes can stay on their orange cards.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.