Author Topic: CW "ARC Troopers" Battle Pack  (Read 13237 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: CW "ARC Troopers" Battle Pack
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 02:46 AM »
Certain armor, to me, would be "special" because of necessity...  Underwater Clones for instance would require training a basic Clone couldn't acheive...  Aquatic legions would just be a necessity to train separately.  To me though, these are fewer in number... 

This is a beef I've had with the OT "Troopers" for years now...  Sandtroopers aren't "Sandtroopers".  They're Stormtroopers in their field gear.  At least to me that's how I view them.  The Pauldrons, the modular packs that seem designed to swap out parts for different needs, are what the basic Stormtrooper wears...  No special training needed.  Same with the "Spacetroopers" we see outside the Death Star...  They're Stormtroopers, just using the zero-g capabilities of their armor.  Zero-G training is something a regular Trooper could easily receive... 

Now the elite Spacetrooper legions are, to me, a limited special group...  Like Navy SEALS in space.  They have training far beyond the basic Zero-G training a Stormtrooper goes through.

Likewise, "Snowtroopers", are just Stormtroopers in their coldweather armor to me.

I agree on the "specialized Clones" issue though...  Too many.  I like the Flamethrower Clones, but why are they sporting the special armor?  What's the point? 

I'm looking at a lot of the armor as just things available for Clones, and some batallions adopt them and some don't.  There are far too many, "Special" legions of Clones though, for my tastes.  It gets corny, and becomes more and more a sales ploy and less and less a logical reason for armor differences I think. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 04:10 AM »
I do agree that there seems to be way too many flavors of clone armor, and lets face it, it probably is a marketing thing to sell more toys. On the flamethrower troops though, one could say that maybe their armor is different because it's specially designed with heat resistant, flame retardant properties to protect them from high temperatures as well as allowing them to cause high temperatures. Maybe sometimes they're sent on missions to get deep inside an area and light it up from the inside, like maybe sneak inside a Geonosian hive or something and fry it from inside. The special armor could help their chances of escape afterword. And maybe they're reddish because Geonosis is? Might be just a camo for that specific planet to help them blend in better? Of course, one might also question the logic of having a loose piece of cloth like a skirt hanging off you when you and you're buddies are spewing flames every which way.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Bump - snagged this badboy earlier today. It's sweet. The helmet paint apps on the commander are a little sloppy, but Rex and the 2 Troopers came out very well. Other than Rex, the other 3 are no names - might have been cool to see Fives and the other dude from Friday's episode as the troopers, and whatsisname as the Comm, but no biggie.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 11:23 AM »
Couldn't the no-named Arcs in this pack actually be Echo and Fives?  We haven't seen what they look like yet in that armor, so maybe Hasbro did it as an early "surprise"?

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 12:35 AM »
Hopefully one of the ARC's in this pack are one of the ARC's Asajj gave a little too much, uh, love. :P
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:53 AM »
I received this and the Mando battle packs from HTS yesterday, and I have to say, it is really pretty well done.  I think pretty much any of these figures are realistic enough to "fit in" as well, for those looking for that.  Really some nice figures.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 04:35 PM »
I picked this set up today and it's pretty nice. Too bad the red phase 2 ARC Trooper isn't accurate to the cartoon. I wonder if Hasbro's intended him to be Commander Colt, but were working from early reference material without the skull paint job on the CGI skin?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 11:22 AM »
How different/new is the Rex in this box?  I heard he has a new head, helmet, and gun... anything else?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 11:36 AM »
How different/new is the Rex in this box?  I heard he has a new head, helmet, and gun... anything else?

The paint job is different and the pauldron sculpt seems to be different as well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:36 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 10:43 PM »
I think I like the original Rex helmet sculpt better... :-\ The new one seems wider, almost like the TLC Obi-Wan's helmet was to fit on the bigger head sculpt.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 2, 2010, 01:21 AM »
I picked this set up tonight at a WalMart on the way home.

This is a much better set than the Mando Warriors one.

I can't decide whether I like the Red or Blue ARC Trooper better. The ARC Commander is cool too - but I really like the new helmet sculpt that the Red & Blue ARCs have.

I'm definitely gonna see if I can pick up a second one of these to open.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 12:34 PM »
I picked up this set on Monday night and finally had a chance to open it last night. 

My first impression of the new ARCs was that they were too busy, but the look is starting to grow on me.  Overall, it's a nice collection of new parts - pauldrons, backpacks, gauntlest, guns - it's really a great set (and even nicer that I was able to get it at the $20 TRU sale price this week :)).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Are these plentiful outside of Iowa?

Still haven't seen one in the stores.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 06:31 PM »
Hey Travis, there's one at W'Loo Wally right now.   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 09:19 PM »
I've never seen this pack, ever.  So Pittsburgh's at least similar to your area Travis.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77