Author Topic: Thor: The Toys!  (Read 77615 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Thor: The Toys!
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 05:10 PM »
I picked up Loki a few days ago at Target, not a bad figure. 

Really I envisioned custom fodder for Star Wars when I saw him, and some of the other figures look like decent fodder as well... the Thor ones have really cool chest armor which I could see being used for Star Wars customs, but the figures of course are constructed in a way that makes it harder to work with.

Also the 3-3/4" stuff looks pretty good from what I saw, and that included Odin and the Frost Giant.  The one real issue is too many versions of Thor - they should load up with more bad guys in the line, and God forbid, some "non aggressive" characters.  Variety helps Star Wars so much, I don't get why Hasbro doesn't do that with more of their lines.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2011, 05:18 PM »
I saw these last night. Wow. The facial paint & hair masks look horrible and it almost looks as if they based the likeness on Kevin Nash from WWF/E versus the actual actor.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Hmmm... the ones I saw looked fine, I thought. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I agree with Jayson, I think the quality is terrible.  All of the Lokis I have seen do not have the neck jointed painted and it looks like ass...and most of the Thors have a weird white wash over the top of the paint that looks awful

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 1, 2011, 10:16 AM »
I have not seen these in great abundance yet - but based off the one Loki I saw I can agree with Scott, the unpainted neck joint looked bad.  IIRC it was green and stuck out like a sore thumb. 

The one Odin figure I saw actually looked pretty good - I think the only minor complaint would be his hips joints being a bit small looking. 

As for Thor - I think I looked at 4 of the battle hammer versions.  Out of the 4 I looked at only one of them had good enough facial paint apps that I would have considered for purchase.

As it stands right now, I am waiting for a sale on these before I buy any of them - I am in no rush here.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 1, 2011, 11:18 AM »
On Loki, the only one I have seen had a good paint job on the face, and the paint application all over the rest of the figure seemed good.  Yeah, the neck joint is a different color, but for my interests that's not the end of the world.

I've seen a few Frost Giants, and each one looks awesome.  No paint issues.  The only Odin that I have looked as appeared fine to me.  

I guess I haven't inspected the Thor ones too much, but they don't seem to be God awful like most of the Indiana Jones line.  And I've seen several Marvel figures that look worse, and even some of the Vintage figures in the "premium" Star Wars line appear to have less effort put into them; so I don't really think Hasbro dropped the ball that hard in terms of quality on these.  Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2011, 11:21 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 1, 2011, 01:00 PM »
I saw these at our local Target over the weekend as well, and although I did notice the lack of paint on the neck joint on Loki, I guess I didn't see quite the overall problems others have either.  I picked up a Thor, and it seems to look decent enough to me, but hopefully the line won't suffer from various paint problems that Indy and others have.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 1, 2011, 01:06 PM »
HTS now has the singles up for pre-order including the Ice Giant and the Deluxe Ice Giant.  Pretty lame that for $5 more all you are getting is darker paint apps, 2 of those rocket shooting ice launchers for the kiddies, and one extra club.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 1, 2011, 11:48 PM »
Saw these at Target today.  They looked okay but I didn't buy any.  One of the Thor figures I picked up looked a little off in the face, but the others were fine.  Odin and Loki looked good, though, and so did the Frost Giant that I saw.  I don't really care for the light-up Thor that they did...similar to the Iron Man with the push down head, but the others were okay.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 5, 2011, 12:45 AM »
I picked up the caped Thor and the Frost Giant today and am pretty happy with both, great sculpts and the paint on my samples seems pretty spot on. They're nice quality and fit in nicely with the Iron Man stuff, it looks like they'll have a nice variety of figures coming as long as the multitudes of Thors don't clog the pegs too much.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 6, 2011, 02:53 PM »
I'm not collecting this line, but a friend of mine is, and every Loki we've seen thus far has that unpainted neck joint.  She's far more picky about what she buys, so she marked Loki off her list entirely until they do an updated version (if they do, which I doubt). 

One question, though:  why did Hasbro feel the need to include a firing missile in the role play Thor Hammer toy?  When I saw that feature mentioned on the package, I laughed out loud in the aisle.  Are kids today that devoid of imagination that Hasbro has to include a FIRING MISSILE in Thor's hammer for play value?  Did they have to include something like that to distract people when some kid inevitably calls down the power of Asgard on another kid's head on the playground? 

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 7, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Theres a Loki coming out in a later wave that has a cape and the big horned helmet. Thats the one I'm holding out for.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 7, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Theres a Loki coming out in a later wave that has a cape and the big horned helmet. Thats the one I'm holding out for.

Good to hear - I will wait for that one!  I'm probably just going to get Sword Spike Thor out of what is currently out there - assuming I Can find one with a good paint job.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 7, 2011, 08:54 PM »
saw these at Walmart today.  Cant remember if this has been discussed here, but their is an Odin paint variant.  One has all silver on his chest and white hair and a couple of other things, the other has a some gold on his chest and grey hair and a couple other little things.

anyway, I went to WM today and they put out 2 cases and there was one of each.  The silver on with White hair, to me, just looks like unfinished product when compared to the other.

still passing for now.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Boy these Thor figures really came in with an apologetic whimper.  What a ho-hum bunch of crap!

This line really had some great potential for some comic line figures.  Instead we have about a billion Chris Hemsworth figures clogging the pegs.

Hasbro is so stupid sometimes.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda