Author Topic: Thor: The Toys!  (Read 77616 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Thor: The Toys!
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2011, 07:49 AM »
Seriously, Hasbro sucks at this.

All of those figures should be hanging on the pegs the day the movie comes out.

By the time Whiplash was released, I didn't even care about it anymore.

Did they ever release Whiplash?  I have yet to see him or really any of the last wave of IM figures.   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2011, 08:57 AM »

Did they ever release Whiplash?  I have yet to see him or really any of the last wave of IM figures.   ::)

you really have never seen movie series Whiplash at retail?  Not even the one in the Target 3 pack?  Perhaps you are talking about the comic series version - that really never made it out - though I did hear one guy say he found a comic series version at TRU.

On the Thor figures - my Kmart.com order I placed yesterday afternoon was cancelled and they gave me a number to call and try and reset the order for some reason (kmart.com you suck as a website and service) so  I might go back to debating ordering a case of Thor wave 2 from HTS.com and I will just swap some of the extra figures in the case for a gold Odin and some frost giants at Target.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2011, 09:04 AM »
I did see the multipack with Whiplash, but never saw him single carded.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2011, 09:25 AM »
I got the helmeted Thor and Destroyer from wave 2 today.  A buddy of mine ordered a case.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2011, 10:20 AM »
I did see the multipack with Whiplash, but never saw him single carded.

I"ve seen a single carded whiplash recently, at one of my local targets. THe single carded drones haven't been around since last fall. TRU still has a few of its exclusive drones w/Nick Fury, wouldn't mind getting it but ya know, it's NOT new TRU - mark it down and they'll sell.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Yeah, they had Wave 1 out MONTHS before the movie was released, and now that the thing is out and the "iron is hot" they suddenly stop shipping new figs?

Dudes, everyone wants that Destroyer! Hook it up!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Seriously, Hasbro sucks at this.

All of those figures should be hanging on the pegs the day the movie comes out.

By the time Whiplash was released, I didn't even care about it anymore.

INDEED.

At the very least these figures should be turning up at retail now that the movie has been in theaters for close to two weeks. 

Right now I only see at least 4 versions of Thor between the basic & deluxe lines, a couple of Frost Giants (basic & deluxe), Odin and Loki.  If Hasbro was really interested in striking while the iron is hot, the Destroyer, the Warriors Three and Sif should have all come out right around now.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I agree, Hasbro should really try to get these figures out there sooner.  I agree with the example of Whiplash, etc., but by the time some of those "other" figures hit retail in the IM2 line I had lost some interest as well.  I ordered the "Warriors Three" and Destroyer online, just because I didn't know if they would ever hit retail.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2011, 11:34 AM »
I don't see why Hasbro frontloads their super hero movie toy lines with so many versions of the main character.  That's really what the problem is, in my opinion.  If they didn't do that, they could have a better variety of character selection.  One would think they would seen this from Iron Man 2 toys... it's really absurd.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2011, 03:21 PM »
The only reason seems to be that they don't want to give away plot points or reveal anything from the movie in the toy line, but with trailers, SDCC previews, rampant Internet leaks and even photo teases from directors via Twitter and Facebook, it's really a moot point anymore.

Adult collectors are going to know more than the toy line is going to reveal, movie fans have seen the preview stuff and kids, who may not see that stuff, probably won't investigate the toys till after they've seen the movie in many cases.

On the other hand, I remember back in 1999 when the track listing for the Phantom Menace soundtrack became known and it spoiled Qui-Gon's death.  The novel dropped before the film also, but reading a book and harmlessly browsing the CD rack are two different things.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2011, 10:25 PM »
Yeah, who knows... my theory is that it's bad market research on Hasbro's part.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2011, 10:29 AM »
I keep going back and forth on ordering a case of wave 2.  I cant make up my mind - but if I am going to do it I need to do it in the next couple of days to take full advantage of the HTS sale or before they sell out.

I have never ordered a case before, and the price per figure after tax comes to $7.62 each and I can exchange some of the duplicates at Target for and Odin and more frost giants.

But I still cant pull the trigger - yet.  I am cheap.  I know at some point these will go on sale again 2 for 11 at TRU.  Also, I would rather just have comic versions of all of the characters - but at the same time I would also not enjoy not ever getting the characters (warriors 3 specifically) in one form or another.   hmmmmmm  what to do
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:31 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2011, 03:12 PM »
I think Hasbros biggest problem with these movie lines is that they try to drag it on too much. 4-5 waves for a summer movie line is just too much, non collector interest usually doesn't last that long. 2 waves is a nice number for a movie line, one sneak preview wave and then a wave that comes out with the theatrical release,  with maybe a third coming out around the dvd release, but nothing past that. If they find there's still demand after the initial releases, then would be a good time to throw together an easy repaint and variants wave to appease consumers. Honestly though, I think they did better here with Thor than they did Iron Man, aside from missing the boat to get wave 2 out for the movie release. Theres actually some character selection and not just a million Thor variants, villains are out in the early waves and not at the lines end etc. The only real gripe I have is putting Sif in wave 4, pretty much ensuring most will never get her.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2011, 10:49 AM »
well, I bit the bullet.  I ordered my first case ever of any action figures.  I ended up ordering Thor wave 2 figures.  As some of you may know - I am pretty cheap when it comes to my collecting.  I figured at most it cost me $20 more then what I would find them for cheapest at retail (excluding clearance) - and that is "if" I were to find them. 

Another concern of mine was whether or not these figures (Warriors 3, etc.) would ever be in their comic styling. Well, after doing some research it looks as if no members of The Warriors 3, or Odin for that matter, were ever made as Marvel Legends figures figures.  So, going off that, I figured it may be a long time, if ever, that we see them in the MU line. 

So, all said and done it was like $91.50 shipped to my door for 12 figures.  I already have bought an Odin and a Frost Giant from Target to exchange some of my extra Thors with.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 1, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Saw some Thor figures with the helmet today.  No sign of figures like the Destroyer or the Warriors Three, but they were shown on the cardback of the new Thors I spotted.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback