Author Topic: Thor: The Toys!  (Read 77576 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Thor: The Toys!
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2011, 04:37 PM »
HTS now has the singles up for pre-order including the Ice Giant and the Deluxe Ice Giant.  Pretty lame that for $5 more all you are getting is darker paint apps, 2 of those rocket shooting ice launchers for the kiddies, and one extra club.

Mm hmm.

Found all the new Thor stuff at Target.  I bought a regular Frost Giant basic figure for 7.99, but passed on the deluxe Frost Giant for 12.99.

The only differences between the 2 are the deluxe version is painted a darker blue, and comes with 2 wrist ice missile launchers.  $5 more than the basic figure.

Um.  Sure.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2011, 07:23 PM »
after reviewing our posts - it appears you forgot to mention the extra club   :P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2011, 06:34 AM »
after reviewing our posts - it appears you forgot to mention the extra club   :P

For $5 I knew I must have forgotten something.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2011, 01:32 PM »
marverlousnews.com has a pic of the 8 inch Destroyer from this line and, while it has what looks like to be extremely limited articulation, I still wonder if a purchase of this might still be warranted to go with any 3 3/4 inch figures.  Would these guys be in scale?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2011, 01:36 PM »
marverlousnews.com has a pic of the 8 inch Destroyer from this line and, while it has what looks like to be extremely limited articulation, I still wonder if a purchase of this might still be warranted to go with any 3 3/4 inch figures.  Would these guys be in scale?

I looked it up. officially Marvel has Destroyer listed as 6'2".  However, in the movie trailer, he looks twice that tall.

See he looks like 15 feet tall in this clip.

So, I dunno.  This could be like Iron Monger.  The 3 3/4" release was basically useless but the 6" scale figure was perfect.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2011, 12:19 AM »
Saw these for the first time today. The line has about 8 pegs at the local Target (Star Wars and other various lines are down to about 4 each... Tron has around 12, which confuses me) and each peg has maybe 1 or 2 Thor figures hanging on... I wish I could say this was surprising but we've all expressed our opinions on the Hasbro Marvel movie lines before.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Judging from the releases so far, it seems like Hasbro is taking a more conservative approach with this line (similar to the first Iron Man in a way).  I remember when the IM line came out for the first movie, it just had a small section and a small(er) selection of characters and Iron Man suits.  Of course that all changed with IM2.  With the Thor line looking to be all movie based (at least so far), I think the more conservative approach is probably pretty smart.  It looks like, judging by Toy Fair, that they are putting a lot more of a push behind Captain America.  On a side note, I don't understand all the space still dedicated to TRON either, but perhaps they figured they just as well leave it out until the BD/DVD release.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2011, 01:14 PM »
The Tron line actually seemed to sell rather well around here.  At least the 4" figures, the light car and maybe one or two other things.  The larger (6"? 8"?) figures didn't seem to sell and my Walmart has them on clearance along with the remote control ligth cycle and the white figure compatible version.  Role play came and went and the small die cast vehicles did okay too.

My Walmart has a larger section for Thor than Target does, but it's still nothing compared to what IM2 got.  I saw the regular Frost Giant at WM yesterday, not bad looking.  I'd only seen the deluxe version before.  The figures actually look okay, it remains to be seen how they sell, though.  I don't really have any thoughts that, even if the movie rocks, this will become an evergreen line.  If Hasbro can get one, maybe two more waves with more heroes/villains and then let it fade in favor of Captain America, I think they'd be serving the market.

I'm not looking forward to seeing the glut of red, white and blue that the CA lines looks to be about to unleash on us.  I do think that line has the potential for better looking villains, though.  But if we actually see them at retail is the question.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2011, 01:33 PM »
I think a 6" Destroyer might be an okay fit into the MU lineup, but an 8" seems way too big.  Maybe they'll make the armor that big in the movie, but I think the comic version of the armor was intended to fit around a god/human sized being.  If it is 2-3 times the size of a person, that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2011, 08:10 AM »
I've finally seen some of these as well. Not bad looking for the ones I've seen, the two versions of Thor and the Loki plus deluxe Thor and Ice dude. But I've never been into Thor so may or may not see this. Def don't need to collect the figs. Though I wouldn't mind having ONE Thor to put with the half doz IM2 figs my son wanted. Maybe Capt AM too. Haven't seen those in stores yet.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Very limited character lineup in the Thor 4" figures.  We've got what, 4 or 5 different versions of Thor in both the basic and deluxe lines.  Only 1 version each of Odin & Loki (and does Loki have his helmet?).  A couple of different versions of the Frost Giants in both the basic and deluxe lines.  But no Destroyer?  No Warriors Three?  Hmmm.  I hope this line doesn't fall into some of the same patterns the Iron Man line went through, with a BAJILLION versions of the hero and nobody else.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Yeah, the Thor stuff definitely seems to be hanging about here as well - although the movie hasn't been released yet.  I don't see it being a huge seller in terms of action figures, but I think with a conservative approach it could do ok.  They do need more variety though.  I know the next (or perhaps third) wave has the Warriors Three and a Destroyer in it, so hopefully that makes it out there soon - and in decent numbers.  Beyond that I think there are more versions of Thor, Loki, Odin and a Sif planned a bit further out, if we ever see them.  I know they are up for preorder at BBTS anyways.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: May 4, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Okay, now that the movie has been out for a little while....

Will some of these actually make it to market?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:51 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2011, 06:34 AM »
Seriously, Hasbro sucks at this.

All of those figures should be hanging on the pegs the day the movie comes out.

By the time Whiplash was released, I didn't even care about it anymore.