Author Topic: Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi  (Read 38260 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern
Legacy ANH Wave

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Despite the wonky neck, this Ben is a real winner and one of my favorite Legacy figures.  I usually prefer plastic to soft goods but this turned out really well,

Vintage Ben never really did much for me...old guy syndrome I guess :P

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Having an Obi-Wan collector focus, I have to agree that the new Legacy ANH Obi-Wan is the best OT Obi-Wan out there.

I have 4 or 5 in my collection.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 03:10 PM »
In a simplier way 30 years ago vintage kenner gave figures a realistic appearance, sometime naïve, but deserving credit for what it was for original collectors.

I think, if paintjob was more advanced in the 70´s, Kenner could have released vintage Obi Wan Ben Kenobi with the colours of potf2 Obi Wan. Note that all details from the long tunic are sculpted on the figure´s legs.

The tlc Ben Kenobi is a great update, perhaps a Saga Legends issue.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:29 PM »
I agree, the Legacy Obi-Wan is the ultimate version (so far  ;) ) I'm also quite fond of my two vintage ones (white and grey hair). The vintage Obi-Wan is a pretty much spot on figure for the character. Obi-Wan wore the same outfit throughout the OT and I didn't need a clear light blue version of him to have him assume his role of Force ghost in my epic adventures.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 12:28 AM »
The Legacy Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi is fantastic and a true modern upgrade to the vintage figure...  The way the hands are sculpted, the softgoods robes (I always take softgoods above plastic on anyone who did more than just stand there), and the likeness are outstanding.  It should be too considering this was an Evolutions figure at first, which are usually pretty decent.  That planned Kenobi set would've been, I believe, one of the best all-around Evo sets they ever did just based on the 3 figures we finally received.

Kenobi, to me, doesn't need much of an upgrade...  I've nabbed several for various scenes, and I dig the table too.  I've got one for cruising in the landspeeder, one for dueling, and so on.  One of my favorites from Legacy I'd have to say, as they really neatly upgraded Old Ben, and have pretty much removed him from my wishlists forever.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:56 AM »
The Legacy Obi-Wan is one of my favorite figures in the line and one of my favorite characters in the movies. The only improvement to this  figure that is needed is a Lightsaber hole on his belt. I was hoping they would have corrected that but if that is the worst of it that's not bad.

I would be perfectly fine if they never upgrade this figure again. I hope to see this figure used again as a Force Ghost in a blueish tone. (Not made in a WTF gold please!)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 01:24 PM »
The vintage Obi-Wan was one of my first figures as a kid (a Christmas present, if I remember correctly), so I've always had a soft spot for Obi.  As everyone else has already mentioned, the Legacy Obi-Wan is pretty much perfect, and I can't see a whole lot of improvement to be made here.  It is quite an improvement over the VOTC version, and another one of those "release until the end" figures as far as I'm concerned.  I've picked up a few, and am always tempted when I see them on the pegs.  Just a really nicely done figure of one of the key characters of the OT.

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 05:08 AM »
The Legacy version, for me, is an amazing figure. In the Uk, we often get figures a lot later, so by the time you get them, you've read all the hype and seen a boat load of pictures. Sometimes when you've got them in hand they don't live up to your expectations, but I have to admit this one exceeded them.

I'd really like if they made a version of this figure exactly the same, but gave him that scruffy hair look he had for most of the Tatooine stuff. Although the face sculpts on the Legacy sandstorm figures weren't too hot, I though the sculpting of the hair on them was executed really well.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 12:37 PM »
I was just reorganizing/cleaning my collection room this weekend and was checking this figure again he is so awesome! After seeing the Jedicon Zuckuss/4-Lom in vintage colors I really would love to see this figure in the vintage orange color scheme.

Anyone else care to see it?
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 11:48 AM »
I always was disappointed that there never were yellow lightsabers in the movies.  Obi has one on his card, the 12 inch one came with one and the 3 3/4 Luke had one. 

Offline zombieted

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Any opinions on the Legacy version vs the Resergence of the Jedi version?  I know it's the same figure - Which one has a more accurate paint job?

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Fun fact:  Vintage Ben could wear Monopoly's Hat token.  Made him spiffy!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Who knew he was so dapper?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 12:09 AM »
I always was disappointed that there never were yellow lightsabers in the movies.  Obi has one on his card, the 12 inch one came with one and the 3 3/4 Luke had one. 

They also gave one to Plo Koon in the PotJ days. Sadly, we never saw him wield it onscreen.