Author Topic: Bib Fortuna  (Read 12528 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Bib Fortuna
« on: February 9, 2011, 10:39 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
Re: Bib Fortuna
« Reply #1 on: February 9, 2011, 11:16 PM »
The vintage Bib was molded according to the tusken or Obi wan Kenobi pants and robe sculpt. The figure spotted the necessary traits. The brwon robe is the original colour, but in case of vinty seems a bit faded. Other feature was the removable chest stomach armor of the majordomo.

Potf2 brought the improvement of his legs, he was depicted with boots, but the robe got darker, a gray tone caught on the film, but not the original of the character. More, the bracelets got a grey slight silver paint, different from flesh colour, as the vintage version has.

The otc repack from potf2 only added colour to the finger nails, but the grey slight silver applications on armor faded considerably, blending their shade with the blue of the clothes.

2006 saga Bib Fortuna represented an update in scale and sculpt, but with less articulation than earlier versions, while the knife is a good addition, the presence of the gun or staff is missing.
A new version must avoid the use of one piece mold for the robe and torso, cause teh exigence of collectors is higher nowadays. Hasbro must follow sideshow to adapt the robe into the scale.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Never got the OTC version. Looks like a salt shaker with cut elbows being the only poseable parts.

I prefer the old 1983 Kenner one, I mean as a toy. Staff was never much of a weapon, though,

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:47 PM »
I don't mind the modern Bib but know he could get an update...softgoods robes, more articulation etc.  The likeness and sculpt are actually really good for their era

OCB Honesty time...only had one vintage ROTJ figure...I'll let you know who later when we get to it because it is a slightly amusing story.  I never liked Bib Fortuna as a kid though, he was lame.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:46 PM »
Loved vintage Bib, still have the one from waaaaay back. Like others, Bib never saw that much action, so he still looks really good. I really liked the robe on him and the headsculpt. Even today a pretty good sculpt, bearing in mind it's from the early 80s.

You can say what you want, but Kenner really got their softgoods down. Examples: Bib, Lando General, Klaatu, Jedi Luke, Yoda, to name a few.

I have the OTC one as counterpart to my vintage version and will wait for Hasbro to release über-Bib to replace him.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 07:31 PM »
My vintage Bib Fortuna ended up being the crime boss since I did not have a vintage Jabba.

I did not get the Saga version so my modern version displayed is the POTF2 version.  If they made a better update, I'd probably buy it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:00 PM »
George Lucas actually based his own neck waddle on Bib Fortuna's...  true story.

Anyway, I never cared for, nor owned a Bib as a kid...  I kind of dig him though, and I agree that the vintage figure is actually probably the nicest Bib Fortuna the action figure line has seen in this scale.  The softgoods, the expression, the armor belt, etc.  Pretty cool figure.  Creeped me out tremendously as a kid though and I never bought one.  I didn't own one till probably 15 or 16.

That said, the crispness of the latest figure's sculpt is pretty nice...  I like too that they made the knife and it fit into the belt nicely.  He's got horrendous articulation though, and I think it's clear he could be a much better figure if given a different look.  Softgoods, a removable belt thing, and still slip the knife accessory in and maybe even a hidden holster/blaster to make him a little more action-y.

A woman at work has the last name Fortuna and I call her "Bib".  She gets it too which is even funnier.  *shrugs*

I'd be all for a resculpt here at this point though.  Give me a new one!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Bib freaked me out when I first saw him in ROTJ.  So, I was happy to get his action figure when it came out.  I still like the vintage Bib Figure the best.  I don't care for the modern updates to him at all.  It would be cool to get an update of him.  As always, I'm up for vintage card of just about any OT figure.