Author Topic: AT-AT Driver  (Read 11754 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
AT-AT Driver
« on: August 4, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

« Last Edit: August 4, 2010, 09:17 PM by Scott »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: AT-AT Driver
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2010, 11:41 PM »
One of my favorite ESB figures!  Mainly because I got it the same Christmas I got the AT-AT.  I thought the POTF 2 versions were fine, but the TLC version is awesome!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 4, 2010, 11:43 PM »
The Legacy Collection figure we got last year is (IMHO) perfect. I'm actually very surprised that they didn't add him into the Vintage line-up as a repack, especially with the AT-AT coming out.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 4, 2010, 11:58 PM »
The AT-AT Driver was largely overlooked in my collection I guess...  He was a pretty good figure for his day though, that's for sure.

I never got Hasbro's updating process on this one though.  I thought the Saga one was really a good figure, had scads of articulation (I'm ok with the angle-cut elbows on a figure like the AT-AT Driver or Death Star Gunner, and the lack of ankle joints).  I bought a number of those thinking "how could they bother improving this guy?", and then they did just that...

I still have to say I like the Saga figure a little better though.  The BAD figure got bashed a bit when it first came out, but it seemed to be largely from people who weren't putting the helmet on him properly or something.  I liked the effort Hasbro put into changing up the Clone head and making it OT-ish with the sideburns and hairstyle too...  The feet bother me to this day though.  Part of me prefers the Saga, but ultimately they both mix well so I've got them meshing together.

Honestly the POTF2 figure doesn't look horrific with them either.  Mine haven't totally retired yet then, and are still in the back rows (kind of like my Death Star Gunners from POTF2).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2010, 09:50 AM »
Loved the Gun on this guy.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2010, 11:42 AM »
The Legacy Collection figure we got last year is (IMHO) perfect. I'm actually very surprised that they didn't add him into the Vintage line-up as a repack, especially with the AT-AT coming out.

Probably because he's a pack-in with the AT-AT.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 5, 2010, 02:31 PM »
I'm still a fan of the Saga version of this figure.  I'm not a huge fan of the removable helmet and didn't feel this guy needed one.  There's also something about his legs/feet on the TLC figure that seems off to me.  I think his feet are too small.

I thought that if Hasbro wanted to do something to improve the Saga version, they could have updated the arms to have hinges instead of the cut joints and maybe add wrists.  Other than that, I thought that was a great figure.

The vintage is still one of my favorites of all time and is one of the reasons I collect AT-AT Driver figures and items.  Definitely a favorite. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 5, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Had five vintage ones at some point. One original, two used (one missing his lower right leg!) and two later new ones with softer arms. Enough for one AT-AT! But there were mini-rigs for them to operate and that Imperial cruiser/transport thing.

Never owned either POTF2 versions.

I think they wasted tooling over-updating the driver by making the BAD release, lower legs and new arms were all that was needed. Waist is nice to have...should've been on the Saga to begin with, but could live without it. BAD release is fairly tall, too. I did like the softer harness on BAD, as I broke my Saga one's harness on one side, by doing some crazy thing like having him sit down (Star Wars figures ain't made to sit, man!). I don't understand those harness/straps purposes anyway.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 5, 2010, 07:46 PM »
I'm still a fan of the Saga version of this figure.  I'm not a huge fan of the removable helmet and didn't feel this guy needed one.  There's also something about his legs/feet on the TLC figure that seems off to me.  I think his feet are too small.

See, I liked the helmet actually...  It was probably the only major improvement I enjoyed besides maybe the elbows getting bumped up articulation, but that was minor.  The helmet sits nicely when pushed down tight, so I was cool with it.

I was with you on the feet though E, as I hated those.  They're definitely goofy small, and detract from the figure a bit.  I was perfectly happy with the Saga figure's lack of ankle articulation since the feet were nicely sculpted and flat/unposed and stand the figure perfectly fine different ways.  The boots were properly sized and looked a lot better.

I'll still buy Saga AT-AT Drivers for a decent price when I see them so I have a nice team of those guys.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: August 9, 2010, 09:29 AM »
I hated the idea of this guy getting redone for the Legacy line, I agree that the Saga version is fine as is.  The cut elbows and other things about him bug me though.  And I also agree that the Legacy Driver isn't without flaws.  That said, I went with the more articulated version

The vintage one along with the Snowtrooper is one of my top 5 Vintage figures.  I love them both.  AT-AT was like a super Stormtrooper due to his tricked out costume

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 09:01 PM »
The vintage at at driver spots strong carved lines on his body, they define the volume and position of his limbs.
As it was a naïve version, the lack of detail and colour solves the interpretation of the character in a minimalistic way, however it ended in a decent job.
In modern era we were exposed to original esb photos showing the whole uniform of the at at driver, so detail becomes a must for sculptors.
This tlc version is decent enough, the harness could have been improved with stronger carved lines.
Seems like the psitol can fit without the plastic strap.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 02:35 PM »
I'm holding onto my Saga '06 drivers. Not a fan of the removable helmet thing at all, and the added articulation I can live without. I love the vintage one as well. I always felt he got stomped on the head by an AT-AT, making his neck disappear  ;D