Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 93651 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Star Trek
« on: July 23, 2003, 03:25 PM »
I collected Playmates Toys' Trek line from the beginning, pre-Modern Star Wars, of course. It was fun while it lasted, but in the end it became more frustrating than satisfying. Impossible to get exclusives, arbitrary scale changes, short-packing, you name it; this line had it. I gave up about a year before the line's demise.

Art Asylum's line doesn't really do anything for me. They look terrific, but there's VERY little selection and the 7" scale doesn't allow for viable vehicles or playsets. Had this been a 3 3/4" line, I'd have been all over it. The Minimates are kinda cool, but unfortunately there's very little retail support for Trek in general so the entire line is waning.

That said, I have picked up a few items on clearance at Target. The Enterprise Deluxe figures feature bridge components that will help make a really cool Batcave and/or Birds of Prey Clocktower for my DC Direct figures. The scale is a little off, but not too bad. And the Borg: Assimilation figures are currently available for under $5 at Target and will look stunning trapped between my Alien Queen and Predator figures.

Anyone else into Trek?
Post sober.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 06:50 PM »
I agree that a 3.75" line would've enticed me to collect some ST figures, should they have been heavily articulated anyway.

AA's stuff looks nice, but I just can't afford larger scale figures anymore.  About $6 or $7 is my maximum per figure price range I think.

XD's $5.99 so I go with it...  BBi's are $4.99 which is a steal, and they're making multi-packs now so they are going to be a little cheaper I think...  Dragon's figures are few and far between and I only ever want one of each so that's cool.

A Star Trek line would break the bank, but if it were 3.75" scale, and diverse like the Star Wars line has been (With army builder-type figures too), and some vehicles and playsets...  Well, I'd gladly part with the $ for it.  The customizing possibilities would be as limitless as Star Wars has been, probably even easier considering the 'uniform" nature of the series and films.

I'd prefer modern series figures BTW, as opposed to the classic series or films...  I much preferred TNG and DS9 to anything.

It's a shame what Playmates did to the line and its fans.  Kinda like what Hasbro's doing to Star Wars right now, or what Hasbro/Kenner did to the Batman line...  Not pretty.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 07:41 PM »
Star Trek.  What's that?   :P

You tryin' to score some brownie points with the JD boss here John?!?   :-*

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 01:38 PM »
This place is run by a Trekkie? That would explain a lot.

And Jesse, DS9 is my favorite Trek, but at a 3 3/4" scale, I'd find room for everybody, even the gang from The Final Frontier in their commando suits. (Uhura certainly went commando.)

Now if I could just unload my entire Playmates collection for a pretty penny.  :-\
Post sober.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 08:02 AM »
I can see it now...

"Jesse James Inc. announces new license...  Star Trek, 1:18"

1) Basic figure series of main characters, sub-characters, etc...  
-From all films, and all TV series.
-Articulation ranging from 16 to 18 points including ball/socket joints and pin/swivel joints.
-Features like working holsters, accessories with real cloth or thick thread straps, removable headgear, etc.
-figure stands.
-Removable limbs with pre-posed limbs available in sets (And "scene specific" headsculpts as well, for ease of customization).

2) Small vehicle line.
-Includes full-scale shuttlecraft, fighters, transports, runabouts, etc.
-full detailed interiors accurate 100% to their technical schematics.
-paint/damage variants.

3) Playset line.
-Full bridge playsets from all series and films, including the U.S.S. Enterprise D, DS9's Control Bridge, U.S.S. Enterprise A, U.S.S. Defiant, etc.
-"Key Area" Playsets like transporter sets, Medical Bay Sets.
-Environment sets from your Favorite Trek episodes and films.
-May work like Simpsons sets, in that they interconnect and such.

Could be a great line. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 09:44 AM »
Star Trekking, across the universe,
On the Starship Enterprise, under Captain Kirk!
  ;D

I collected Star Trek before I started the Star Wars line. Sold most of the figures & playsets. I only have the ships & odd figures left in my collection. I did pick up the new figures that are out. They are very well made.
A friend of mine has one heck of a collection that is almost as big as my SW stuff but my brother has the most. He even went as far as collecting the Franklin Mint stuff & has most of the original toys when they came out in the 60's.  :o

Yes, the boss here is a ST fan. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure he will chime in in time with his collection.  8)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 10:10 PM »
I love AA's new figures. Unfortunately the second series of Enterpirse figures featured the crew in their EVA outfits and had two really cool aliens to boot. I never have found the aliens, and I really wanted that Andorian. man, they kick ass. (Unfortuantely, I lost track of the show because the local WB screws with the scheduling. We don't get UPN here.) And I'm not pleased that my second fave character, Trip Tucker, was an exclusive to some website.

When the Nemesis line came out, I was hoping for the entire Next Generation crew in their movie uniforms. Didn't happen.

Now I'm just hoping the TOS figures do extremely well. I need me a yellow shirted Kirk, man. Can't wait for AA to get to the Romulans and the Gorn. Maybe a Mugato. Sweet.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Dammit Jim, I'm not just at the convention
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 02:04 PM »
San Diego Comic Con Exclusive Kirk available at convention price :o at Newforcecomics.com.  

Yeah, yeah, I know.  But I ordered one. ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 02:13 PM »
Yeah your head may spin a little Brent but this post is here now :-*

I thought about it but decided to pass...no room, no more packages, no more line etc etc...

The figures do look very, very nice

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Dammit Jim, I'm not just at the convention
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 02:45 PM »

I ordered 2.  ;D  One for me & one for my ST collecting buddy!  8)
Thanks for the heads up Brent!  :-*

Offline DarthWormie

• Youngling
  • Mom always said, don't play ball in the house.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2003, 01:08 PM »
I have a ton of the Playmates TNG figures as well as the Classic Enterprise bridge w/crew set that I picked up years ago at KBToys on clearance for $10.99.

I liked those figs alot, but I agree that by the end of the line PM had run that line into the ground. With my SW collection growing I unfortunately had to put my ST collection into storage (except for my vintage mego figs).

I bought a few of the MiniMates figs last week at  Target on clearance for $1.24 a piece. I wish they had done a klingon in this set. BTW, what is the puzzle piece for in these? I thought it was a stand, but it doesn't really work to well. Anybody know?
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2003, 12:03 PM »
That puzzle piece is kind of a trademark to the Minimates. I think it's a HUGE waste of plastic, as are the coins that come with AA's product. There seems to be an aversion to stands with this manufacturer, although they did include one with the NX-01 that is the best I've seen.

Too bad they couldn't have come with transporter pads for stands. Generic but appropriate. They just don't like to put pegs on plastic or holes in feet for some reason.

As for a Klingon Minimate, one was in the works, but it was dropped from the second wave which is on hold anyway.
Post sober.

Offline DarthWormie

• Youngling
  • Mom always said, don't play ball in the house.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2003, 03:04 PM »
I just got back from an after-lunch toy run and saw the new AA Star Trek classic series figures. These are pretty cool looking although I don't like the "off-duty" uni they put Kirk in. Series 2 (if it ever gets made) looks pretty good as well. Evil Spock is a definite must have!

On the back they showed a sneak peek figure from the MiniMates series 2. It was an Evil Kirk figure with a smug little expression on his face.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Dammit Jim, I'm not just at the convention
« Reply #13 on: October 9, 2003, 03:43 PM »
San Diego Comic Con Exclusive Kirk available at convention price :o at Newforcecomics.com.  

Blasphemous to bump this thread, I know.

Has anyone received their Kirk?  I have not.  Yes, I have emailed Newforce to inquire.  Am I out of luck :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2003, 03:47 PM »
Well...Funny Story

I received a box two weeks ago which i thought was the Screen Scenes Wave 2, turns out they were the Star Trek Figures and Convention Kirk.

I e-mailed Rick and asked him what was up...sounds like there is another Scott Pearson in Iowa and the Shipping department sent me his order by mistake.  So I did have one for about a week, UPS came and picked him up and sent him to Iowa yesterday.  Good Riddance :-*