Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 93634 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #270 on: July 14, 2009, 11:40 PM »
Yeah, the Canadian 3 3/4" figs don't have the accessories. I have seen a lot of them just peg warming, such a waste.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2009, 11:43 PM »
No wonder...  They're sorta sparse figures here, but at least they've got the playset part.  I'm assuming you guys don't have the playsets at all then?  Or are they "complete" with the parts already in the packs?  That's really goofy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 14, 2009, 11:49 PM »
I have seen the playsets here, the accessories are not packed in. Like with SW figs, Canada gets screwed over again. My TRU'S have butt loads of ST stuff, just not moving. Even with a sale, the figs sit.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #273 on: July 15, 2009, 12:01 AM »
PM claims they're selling...  I think a lot of it has to do with them being, basically, cheap.  There's few new sculpts really.  The Starfleet Academy and Enterprise uniforms make up most of the figures, and are easily shared.  Cheap...

The 2nd wave looks like more unique sculpts.

I'm hoping to get the 2nd wave and a full set of the first wave cheap at some point.  I have about half of it but I won't cave just yet and buy the rest.  I like the accessires, I think most of the sculpts are quite nice, but really the line is "eh".  It doesn't have the diversity available that Star Wars does, and benefits from because of it.  Another movie might do it some good if it's trying to break into that kind of realm of a toy line.

I'm geeked to get the little dude, if wave 2 is ever made available anywhere.

The chairs and consoles are nice though, as they are.  I'm hoping to nab a 2nd Bridge playset for the screens and things too.  Very good customizing/diorama fodder for Star Wars.  Just a little paint on some of it, and you're good to go.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 23, 2009, 10:54 AM »
I haven't been collecting this line (although I really liked the movie), but I did notice that Target has now put all the Trek stuff on clearance in our area.  I'm wondering if that means this line will have a Indiana Jones-type lifespan, at least until the sequel is released.  Wal-Mart and TRU still seem to have plenty of stock, although I haven't looked closely at which figures they have for awhile now.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 23, 2009, 10:57 AM »
I saw that at Target, too.  And funny enough, one of the toy magazines just finally showed the next wave of figures for the Star Trek line.  I wonder if they'll see the light of day.  Especially since each figure has those pack-in parts for the Bridge and Transporter playsets.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 23, 2009, 04:42 PM »
One Target in my neck of the woods put these on clearance back in July.  That's a long time back... now all the others in the area have done the same.

Nicklab, are you talking about wave 2 figures, or is there a wave 3 as well?

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2009, 01:22 PM »
One Target in my neck of the woods put these on clearance back in July.  That's a long time back... now all the others in the area have done the same.

Despite everywhere being on clearance they are still sitting. That's pretty sad, I do not think you will see Trek toys in big box stores for a long time to come after the precedence this line set.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2009, 01:23 PM »

Despite everywhere being on clearance they are still sitting. That's pretty sad, I do not think you will see Trek toys in big box stores for a long time to come after the precedence this line set.

Yeah, I think the Targets around here are about to reduce the clearance to negative $1.50.  That's where they will pay you $1.50 per figure just to get them the heck out of the store.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #279 on: September 28, 2009, 01:40 PM »
Yeah, I think the Targets around here are about to reduce the clearance to negative $1.50.  That's where they will pay you $1.50 per figure just to get them the heck out of the store.

They would be better off donating these to Goodwill or some Toy Charity to get the Tax write off, they would make out better. I can see one those starving/needy kid commercials with one of them in the back ground holding a badly sculpted Kirk in their hand. All jokes aside charity would be a good way to go.

Playmates got their asses handed to them this year that could seriously hurt the company. I think Avatar will be another Terminator/ST peg warming line. Kids are not going to care about Tall blue aliens or their very Kenner-esk beasts. Joe fans have already gave the line thumbs down as the stuff is not compatible.

Any bets?
We should start are very own Fantasy Football Tournament but call it Fantasy Figures. We can start a pool and bet what lines will flop like a pair of D's on an old lady jogging.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:41 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 28, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Hey, just because people are poor doesn't mean they should have to play with Star Trek toys.  Send them off to to the Middle East.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Hey, just because people are poor doesn't mean they should have to play with Star Trek toys.  Send them off to to the Middle East.

:D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #282 on: September 28, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Around me, the playsets are moving and certain figures are now disappearing.  Scotty, Pike, Uhura (long gone anyway), and to a lesser degree Spock, Cadet McCoy, and Nero, are all selling I'd say steady at this point, or are sold out totally.  Old Spock, Kirk, Sulu, Cadet Chekov...  they're still hangin' about.

Also the transporter playset (arguably the better set) isn't going as fast as the bridge, ironically.

Most Targets are out of Bridge playsets though, which is sort of a bummer since it has some nice Star Wars ish pieces. 

I got a complete set except for Old Spock.  I may nab an extra Spock and McCoy if I see them.  $3.50 for the chair and console isn't bad and I'll make a Service Uniform McCoy since I hold little hope for seeing the basic one.

One thing I do find interesting though is that usually in retail, initial clearance isn't a loss...  $3.50 is what, half what they originally sold for?

Anyway, PlayMates kept insisting they were happy with the 3.75" line...  I wonder what they say now?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Playmates did a good job with the 5" Trek figures in the 90s, for the most part, but have they done any other realistic line any justice?  seaQuest, maybe?  Other than that, most of what they have done is based on animation and comic properties.  They really have no track record in realistically styled 3.75" figures. 

I think that's why they threw so many scales at us for the Terminator and ST lines this year.  They would have been better off concentrating on one scale and put their top people on it to make a splash.  Then win, lose or draw with consumers, at least they would have two outstanding toy lines that at least most people could look at and say "Yeah, that's good, but I can't afford it" rather than passing due to looks and price.

I thought the figures were mixed, about half good and half so-so to bad.  The accessories looked to be well done although I would have liked the base for the bridge to have been made of better material.  Like a fold-out board game or something. 

I didn't buy them because the price was kind of high and they were only mediocre for the most part.  Same with the Terminator figures.  They didn't even have a John Connor for us to buy (The one they did give us was not Connor in anything but name). 

But also keep in mind that neither film was really worthy of a toy line.  The Terminator film was average at best and ST, while a fun movie, didn't have the adventure to it that a good toy line would need to support.  I think that's also why Indiana Jones failed.  The movie did a lot of bank, but it wasn't a stand-out winner...and a lot of the adventure of the previous three films was not there in KOTCS.  Were there really any scenes you wanted to run out and reenact with your toys?  No.  Not really.  But even today I would still love to recreate the whole Well of the Souls dig with toys...THAT'S adventure!

Speaking of Avatar, what scale are those figures?  I haven't found a good review of them, just photos (I could write a 5-page essay on why toy reporting pisses me off....)

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #284 on: September 30, 2009, 03:30 AM »
I've read somewhere that the regular line of Avatar toys is something like 4.5/5", much like the kid's lines for the recent Batman flicks. Boy, that Mattel company. They might have been better served by a 3.75" line, but it IS Mattel. It's kind of dumb to have a line in that scale when you have a Movie Masters line as well at 6", but they can have the most popular line of collector-aimed toys (DCUC) since Marvel Legends under Toy Biz, and completly screw it up in every way.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk