Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 93649 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #345 on: February 19, 2010, 09:59 AM »
Did the second waves of Playmates' Star Trek movie line ever come out?

I think they got cancelled.

Correct.  The last waves of 3.75" and 6" stuff went from retail to "online shared exclusive" in Oct 2009 to cancelled in Late Nov.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:00 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 19, 2010, 09:58 PM »
Thanks guys - one more question - were the 12" Uhura, Nero and Scotty figures also cancelled?

And what about their plans to extend the line to the original series? Is that now cancelled as well?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #347 on: February 20, 2010, 12:29 AM »
Playmates has stated that Star Trek and TMNT toys are 'on hiatus' for 2010 so they can concentrate on their new Shrek line. TNI link.

I think it sucks, since I was kind of looking forward to their comic-related TMNT stuff, and of course whatever they had planned for Star Trek.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 21, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Thanks for the link - I totally missed this bit of news.

Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about trying to track down any more toys from the recent movie...

It looks like even Diamon Select/Art Asylum are pulling back over the next year as well - I didn't see a single picture of a new 7" figure in all of the Toy Fair coverage, only ships, role-play accessories and minimates stuff.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2010, 09:13 AM »
And 4 new Retro-Vintage figures.  Salt Creature, Nurse Chapel (?), Green Girl and Green Shirt Kirk.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 21, 2010, 01:34 PM »
And 4 new Retro-Vintage figures.  Salt Creature, Nurse Chapel (?), Green Girl and Green Shirt Kirk.

Oh yeah - I forgot about them - my wife and I have a complete set of the original Mego Trek figures so we haven't really been paying attention this line either, but now that they're doing figures that Mego didn't originally do, we may have to think about picking up some of the figures in the retro sub-line.
Peter

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #351 on: February 22, 2010, 07:14 PM »
I think they got cancelled.

E...

Correct.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 11, 2010, 03:14 AM »
The Star Trek stuff at my local TRU sure isn't moving. 

I picked up the 2009 movie Enterprise on clearance at K-Mart about a month ago.  I didn't pick up any of the figures.  I would have bought them if they were the same size as the regular 1992-2000 Playmates versions.  I remember Playmates released 6" inch movie figures for First Contact and the new size turned collectors away.  3 3/4" is nice but it didn't go far.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 11, 2010, 05:51 PM »
After originally thinking I was going to buy a few pieces of the ST collection to go with other lines in the scale, I ended up completely passing on everything.  I've been in two TRU stores recently and both still had a lot of ST stuff and it's not moving.  The local Big Lots has several figures and the playsets (Playsets are $10 each I think) and they're not moving there either.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #355 on: February 10, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Oh man - remind me to bring my Trekkie repellant to Toy Fair 2013.   :P

How long before we see Kirk vs. Vader 2-packs at Toys R Us?   :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 10, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Kind of surprising to see Hasbro pick up the Trek license, but then again the last movie was great and the toyline wasn't the best (or at least wasn't tearing up retail).  Makes you wonder if they (Hasbro) are getting tired of no movement on that live action SW series, and figure this might be the next franchise to latch onto as SW moves out of the spotlight after the 3D releases.  Then again, maybe its just another license to have.  They really have a lot of stuff covered out there now between their own lines and licensees (particularly stuff tied to movies, which everyone seems to covet).  Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers, Joes, and now Trek....really staking claim to the action figure aisle.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 10, 2012, 04:53 PM »
Just hope they don't send them to the same factory that painted the Indiana Jones figures.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 10, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Star Trek?  Nice to see them nab an up and coming franchise like that.  At least they didn't waste money on something fruitless like DC/Marvel Superhero bricks. 

In a totally unrelated note, I'll be cashing in my Hasbro stock effective immediately.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 10, 2012, 07:07 PM »
imagine 3 3/4 figures and a BMF Enterprise :)  all over it