Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 93801 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #195 on: April 17, 2009, 03:21 PM »
I had hope for this line, the 3 3/4 stuff I consider the Figures as "Pack-ins".  They are so below par with what other lines offer.  I appreciate the ambition that Playmates has with 4 different scales at one time (and it is movie year so strike while the iron is hot)..but if they could have put 10% more effort into the head sculpts, this line would ROCK.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2009, 07:21 PM »
Our local Wal-Mart seems to have gone all out with the Trek stuff (and Wolverine for that matter - they love the movie lines it seems).  I stopped there today and they had a place in the aisle for the 3 3/4" figures and playsets, an entire endcap of the 3 3/4" figures, an entire endcap of the 6" figures, and an entire endcap of the Enterprise.  They seem to really be banking on this line, at least locally.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2009, 11:41 PM »
Yeah, WM is the place to be to find any decent numbers. It's the only place I've seen Uhura, since they have so much product. I'm still in the 'tickled to have new Trek toys' phase, but I hope we see the older incarnations in this scale from Playmates.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2009, 10:24 AM »
but I hope we see the older incarnations in this scale from Playmates.

Yeah, I'd probably bite then.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2009, 11:40 AM »
I would like to see older stuff, too.  I like the DST stuff but it's too pricey and too out of scale for me.  I like the figures so far.  They're not perfect, but some of them like Old Spock and Uhura are really nice.  Some like Kirk are not, but it's no different with SW.  I really like the six inch stuff.  If I wasn't a 3 3/4 inch devotee...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2009, 01:14 PM »
I'm liking this line quite a bit, it seems very collector focused in the 3-3/4" scale.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2009, 03:19 PM »
Found the ST figures today at Target.  They also had some of the Terminator figures out as well.

They had both the 4" and 6" ST figures along with a couple role play items, the Enterprise and both the Bridge and Transporter playsets.

The figures look a little better in person than in the photos but the Kirk figure is not the best.  Uhura looks good but she does have kind of odd legs.  The others all looked fine with one other exception and that is, at first glance, Pike and Kirk don't look very distinctive.  I could see someone (parent, gift buyer, someone who doesn't read) grab a Pike figure thinking it was Kirk.

Anyway, overall, the offerings look pretty good.  I'm undecided on this though.  While I'd love to put together the bridge and transporter playsets, I don't think I want to invest the money into all of the action figures needed to complete them.  It's a fun set and nice to see a company try the build-a-playset theme on this scale of figure but part of me wishes that the playsets were another $10 and included everything they needed.

The 4" figures were $6.99 at Target.  I don't think I've seen a price for them at WalMart yet.  Same, similar?  How about the playsets?  $24.99 at Target.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2009, 07:33 PM »
4" are $6.47 at WM, which is by far the best deal around for that scale right now.  I went today I bought Spock, Sulu and Scotty (after buying Spock 1.0 and Uhura yesterday).  I love these actually.  I'm waiting on Kirk for either a better paint job or the bridge set.  The others I'll nick off as I go.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2009, 12:24 PM »
Saw these yesterday at TRU. They're pretty neat. I might end up getting the bridge playset if the movie's any good, and maybe a few of the figures.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Picked up the playsets today. I wish I had room to properly display the Bridge, since that's a pretty big thing with the mat rolled out. I think my favorite of the two is the Transporter, but I kind of have a soft spot for those kind of toys.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2009, 09:45 PM »
I like them.  I think Scotty is my favorite figure of the first group. He is only I have right now.  I dig the whole bridge and transporter build up thing.

I curious in seeing that they didn't do Chekov or McCoy in their Starfleet uniforms in this first set ?  :o
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:46 PM by Darth Rock »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2009, 11:24 PM »
I curious in seeing that they didn't do Chekov or McCoy in their Starfleet uniforms in this first set ?  :o

I think those two and a Kirk in the black shirt are coming in the second wave this summer.  :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2009, 12:01 AM »
I'd wager we'll see versions of Kirk and Sulu in their space suits (from the sky diving scene) as well.  Plus Cadet Uhura, who's in the 6" line.  I wonder how many folks will just swap heads.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2009, 02:38 AM »
Are the heads removable? I'm afraid to try, since I managed to break the Scotty I got with the Transporter at the knee.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2009, 10:25 AM »
I'm not sure.  The hands come out pretty easy.  Jeez, dude - how hard were you trying to transport Scotty?    ;)