Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 93638 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #285 on: September 30, 2009, 02:23 PM »
TRU seems to have had a Buy 1 Get 1 Free promotion on their 3-3/4" Trek figures for a while.  Doesn't look like any are selling.  There's quite a bit of dust on them.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 5, 2009, 04:12 PM »
Not sure if this is old news or not, but noticed the ST stuff was 50% off today at Target....Still not really seeing anything move, but I'm sure it will start at 75%.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 5, 2009, 04:21 PM »
Wow. Sounds like it's time to go get some custom fodder. :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #288 on: October 5, 2009, 04:43 PM »
ST's pretty well picked clean here save for the playsets.  The figures I spot are mostly Sulu, Nero, and Old Spock now...  Very little of the others.

At the Target I visited over the weekend they did have one McCoy and one Scotty left though, so I nabbed those for custom fodder.

Most stores only have Transporters now, but some still have bridge sets, which I'd like another if I see them.  The Transporter's real nice though too, if you want a cool display.

I would've liked an extra Spock and McCoy to make a field uniform McCoy...  but Spock's been gone now for a bit.  Bummer.

I did notice a number of Pike at this one store as well, but he wasn't at the other stores for some reason.  Weird.  Kirk's actually started to move on clearance which is funny since he was the worst seller.  He's a horrible figure though, regardless. 

Anywya my stores are down to about 2 figures per peg now.  I'd take more McCoy's since he has the most gear, and more Scotty's as he has teh best "desk/chair" combo too, and the best fodder headsculpt IMO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 5, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Jesse, if you are looking for anything I'd suggest TRU...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #290 on: October 5, 2009, 05:08 PM »
I was at TRU yesterday actually, they had a bit, but the Bogo they have has depleted them as well...  The Cadet figures of McCoy and Chekov were all gone.  Lots of Pike, Sulu, Nero, Old Spock, and Kirk...  One Scotty I think, but the Cadet figures, Uhura, and Young Spock were all gone.  :'(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #291 on: October 5, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Star Trek Toys live?

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14986

At the 2009 Dallas Toy Fair, Playmates Toys Inc., a leader in creating imaginative and innovative toy experiences and sustaining evergreens, will launch many thrilling new additions to their established properties, in support of highly successful entertainment brands and toward the debut of several new branded toy lines.

STAR TREK - Live Long and Prosper

With nearly 40 years of heritage in the STAR TREK franchise, Playmates will build on the excitement generated by the blockbuster STAR TREK movie directed by J.J. Abrams with an offering of new toys and collectibles based on the 2009 movie and the classic original series catalyst STAR TREK. In addition to new waves of 3.75” action figures, role play accessories and iconic vehicles two new segments will be introduced in the movie line that should appeal to both the long time fan and the younger fans alike. The STARFLEET DEFENDER line includes a full array of movie characters articulated in small-scale in dynamic animated-style action poses. Collectible iconic mini space ships from the 2009 movie include the U.S.S. Enterprise, the U.S.S. Kelvin, and the Narada. And for the first time ever, Playmates will introduce 3.75” GALAXY EDITION action figures and diorama’s based on the classic Star Trek series. These figures will be highly detailed with authentic life-like likenesses and feature over 16 points of articulation. Iconic scenes from the most popular episodes will be depicted in two-figure pack dioramas. So jump on the U.S.S. Enterprise and Live Long and Prosper with the STAR TREK products for young and older.

How can this be when they are on clearance? Online only? It will be cool to see a classic 3.75'' Spock. If these do happen I will be curious to see if they improved on their failings. I have a feeling it's DOA but I could be wrong.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 5, 2009, 05:57 PM »
Good for them.  It's nice to see a company with a different philosophy than Hasbro.  If Hasbro had the license, there is no chance they would have continued to explore ways to keep the line going in my opinion.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #293 on: October 5, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Star Wars has seen its fair share of clearances...  I think this line did better than people realize.  It sold through I'd say 5 times at Target near me before the movie came out, and only stagnated after a while.  WM's stock sold through steadily too for a while, and once the movie ended and any "push" for it deflated, the figures then began sitting...

Hell, my WM just put the figures back to full price around the time they re-released the movie on IMAX screens, and they actually just now put out playsets which only Target and TRU carried up till the re-release of the movie.

That tells me they did better than what the public thinks.  Consider it's been only one wave of figures too, that's been out there for this long.  Pegwarming was an inevitability really, when you think about it.  The 2nd Wave looks great so I'm excited to see these TOS figures now too. 

I have to say, besides Kirk's likeness, I think the line's actually quite decent.  I wish they weren't so expensive at full price, but that can be said for a lot of things I guess.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 5, 2009, 06:36 PM »
If you drove out to the St. Louis, I think you'd be shocked at the number of Star Trek figures that are not selling, have not sold since day one, did not sell at full price, on clearance, etc.  The amount of dust on the figures at the stores around here is stunning.  And this is at a handful of super Wal-Marts, several big TRU stores, a lot of Targets, etc.  It's bad.  The Kansas City area is just the same... and I was in Atlanta not long ago, and it was the same story at the Wal-Mart I was at there.

I'm just glad that Playmates had some patience with this line more than they did the Terminator stuff.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #295 on: October 5, 2009, 06:51 PM »
I'm sticking with the, "I bet you don't know what sold and what was replenishment" stock theory on this...  No offense meant to anyone by that either, but it's a pretty common thing really where people think they're seeing nothing move, but it actually is selling and getting replenished.  I'm sure sales weren't fantastic everywhere, but like I said around here Target got the jump and sold through a lot of product with several restocks till the movie came and went...  TRU then did ok, and WM was late to the game so they seemed to have the worst sell-through by me, but still my WM stores never put them on any steep discount ($5 I think was the lowest).  Then they put them back to full price and even brought out space for playsets, which till last month had only been available at Target and TRU (and KM for significantly more money) locally.

I don't think Playmates is willing to dump more tooling investment into a line that never sold anything.  They're not really innovating anything, they're just continuing the line that, as far as they are claiming, was a good seller (and admitting the 6" line didn't do well).  It was one wave of figures, so pegwarming was inevitable IMO if there was steady restocking, and now we're seeing a clearance.  If retailers pick up subsequent waves, then I think the proof is in the pudding that the line sold well enough to maintain shelf space for it.  If ST is dropped from the action figure aisles all together, then I think Playmates is in trouble to try and sell this stuff and maybe were reading too much into their sales data.

I'm sure everywhere right now has a glut that isn't moving, well, but the determining factor seems to be how well they did through the Summer, which all signs currently say they did better than the public must think.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 5, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Only Target stocked the Star Trek line here and they did sell pretty well as far as the 4" line and role play stuff goes.  The Enterprise ship sold okay but the two playsets didn't do that well. 

The 6" line (or is it 8"? whatever) didn't sell well except right around the time of the film.  I think locally someone probably bought one whole set of the 8" figures and then they only sold a handful more.  They're not moving on clearance very well either, but the role play items disappeared.  Those actually moved faster than I thought as I was going to snag a communicator and scanner but missed out.

I think Wed will make 2 weeks on the first mark down at Target so I'm going to stop in to see if they dropped the price again and if they did, may clean them out of the playsets and 4" figures if they're still there.  We'll see.

I'm hoping for more Hot Wheels ships, I really like those, and wouldn't mind seeing that second wave of 4" figures.  I do hope these sold well just because I hate to see a line for a property that I like fail, even if I didn't support it myself.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 5, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa.......

There's a Toy Fair in Dallas?  Damn, that one would have been cheap to cover...

The ST line is hit or miss here, the WM's overstocked (shocker) AFTER the movie had been out for a week or two (after-shocker)...

The Targets are sold out (didn't see clearance) for the most part, except playsets, those things choke the life out of the shelves.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #298 on: October 5, 2009, 10:16 PM »
Agreed on the playsets.  Locally I'd say they sold out once, maybe twice?  At least they seemed to.  The bridge seems to go first all the time though, either when they sold briefly or when they hit clearance.  The transporter's what I find kind of ironic though, as it was the better "playset" and it never sold worth poop, and isn't even going on clearance.  Seriously, it's a nice toy, buy it if you want something neat.  Turn it into an intergalactic telephone for SW figures with a paintjob and a little tweak here and there. 

It really is a neat little toy.

The bridge is...  eh.  Most of the bridge, comes with other figures, haha.  The Transporter was the only playset out of the box you really could enjoy (you don't need to buy figs to have an ultimately "complete" set).

If I see another bridge on a steeper discount, I may buy it (or two if it's a real steep one).

The parts it has are nice for SW customizing, but they're not full price nice.  I got my first one on "sale" as well.  A more substantial floor than a roll-out mat would've been really nice.  Something simple and injection-molded.  Even cheaper plastic would've been nice.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #299 on: October 5, 2009, 10:38 PM »
There's a Toy Fair in Dallas? 

TIA's Fall event, Fall Toy Preview, is not open to the press and not open to the public.  It is by appointment only between retail and the toy companies.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender