Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 93643 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #375 on: February 10, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Anyone ask Hasbro what was up their sleeve for ST beyond the Kreo they showed?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 19, 2013, 01:41 PM »
I was very surprised when the news came out that Hasbro was picking up the Star Trek license.  Especially considering how the toy line for the first JJ Abrams movie performed.

And now to see almost nothing (aside from Kreo) when the new movie is less than 2 months away?  It says to me that Hasbro must be hurting financially.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 19, 2013, 04:54 PM »
I don't know why they bothered. Star Trek has rarely had mainstream appeal as far as toys go. Playmates had a good run during a height of Trek popularity, but that was still mostly collectors. Of course, their movie stuff from a few years ago still lingers around Toys R Us, the second wave of figures never got made.

I was hoping as 3 3/4" line by Hasbro up to Star Wars standards, but the way things are now, it would've been a half dozen 5 point of articulation figures. So no loss.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #378 on: March 20, 2013, 09:35 PM »
TNG/DS9 lines could suck me in but who would give a hoot?  I mean a good or at least decent 3.75" line...  Something Hasbro-ish in quality or at least The Hobbit quality which is Hasbro quality practically.

I'd dig that but who would care ya know?  Me, a select few like me, but not the masses which is needed.

The new movie was great, and the toys were decent, but once they hit that wall, yikes...  They did shockingly well here for a while at stores like Target and WM...  TRU not so much, and then once the movie faded off, and more toys shipped, yeesh.  A very TPM-ish scenario.  Still when I see them super cheap, I buy just for the chairs and consoles.  I've gotten some for a buck, and for a buck that little extra junk's worth it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 4, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Picked up the complete Series One Kre-O sets for Star Trek the other day to add to my wife's Star Trek collection. When I got them home she didn't care for them so I took them all back today. Oh well...

Was tempted to keep one of the smaller items to see how well the light-tech stuff worked but decided against it.

Wish Hasbro had done a 3.75" line for this movie - could have been great.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #380 on: June 3, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Seconded on a 3.75" line...  Leaving the movie yesterday, it hurt not having anything to turn to in that regard.  A nice Enterprise crew, some secondary guys, a Klingon...  would've been neat.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #381 on: June 3, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Yeah it is bizzare...I really think they could have done a small line...but maybe it wouldn't work at retail (see Hulk, Fantastic Four, heck even Batman)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #382 on: June 3, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Yeah, I think they hate doing small runs of stuff at this point.  Go big or go home...  and in that way, they've mostly been go home of late...  go home and order it online at least?

I would've enjoyed some figures to buy though...  This movie had some good choices I felt.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 4, 2013, 08:24 AM »
It would've amounted to figures of Spock, Kirk, Johnny Harrison and maybe Bones.

Reminds me of the old Ertl ST3 figures I had, all they made were Kirk, Spock (barely in the movie), Scotty and Kruge (the Klingon).  Just those 4 characters, no McCoy even. But they were fun figures, brittle hands, though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #384 on: June 4, 2013, 03:00 PM »
I liked the last movie's figure line well enough, though Kirk sucks and there wasn't a good Kirk (even in the outfits he wore most of the time, much less the crappy one we got in the command shirt he wore for 5 seconds), McCoy, or Chekov made.

I still love those chairs and consoles.  I pick those figures up randomly just because that stuff's good.  Actually a couple headsculpts are good for swaps too (Scotty, Chekov, Pike, etc.)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 4, 2013, 07:05 PM »
As much as I'd have liked to see a line from Hasbro for this new ST movie, I really don't believe it was a good toy movie.  They're not like Superheroes with cool costumes and funky weapons/powers, they aren't military-esque figures w/ a lot of equipment and most of the ships are huge and outside of doing playsets or scale models they aren't like an X-Wing or TIE Fighter where figs really fit in them.

It's probably too expensive for some of the smaller companies, but if Neca or DST or someone with equally quality manufacturing could get into this it would be the best way to go.  The 5" Playmates line that ran back in the 90's was well done but they were based on a TV series so there were lots of set pieces and accessories that made sense for figures.  W/ the movie, not so much.

It's gotta be very cost prohibitive, but I wish there was a company like DST that could get on a bunch of licenses for Sci-Fi properties and do limited run series.  ST, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Stargate, other properties like that, where they could do a set of core characters and then one wave of secondary chars and then be done.  Limited stuff for comic and specialty shops, hit the geeks where they leave, and then move on.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #386 on: June 4, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Actually, DST is doing just that, although with TOS-era figures right now.http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-deluxe-kirk-and-spock-action-figures-from-diamond-select-toys

It'll be interesting to see where this line goes.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 4, 2013, 09:52 PM »
I'd be game for Firefly figs... just do the 9 Serenity crew members and a couple characters like Saffron, Badger, the Blue Hand Men, Jubal Early, Niska.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 4, 2013, 10:29 PM »
Actually, DST is doing just that, although with TOS-era figures right now.http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-deluxe-kirk-and-spock-action-figures-from-diamond-select-toys

It'll be interesting to see where this line goes.

They're 7" and not all articulated.  But, yeah, they are doing a somewhat limited series of ST toys, but not really action figures and not in the 3.75" scale.

They did Stargate in the past also, but they were 6".  If they could get back into that at 3.75" and still do the pack-in build-an-accessory, I'd be in.  I'm just not in at anything over the 3.75"/4" scale.  I'm all about compatibility with the tons of action figs I already have, and those are in the SW/Joe/IJ scale.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #389 on: June 5, 2013, 01:23 AM »
What Eric said...

If it is 3.75"-4", I'm in...  It's the general 1:18 scale range...  I branch up slightly to 1:16 for WW2 armor, but for figures, I stick in that scale range and won't go bigger.  I like the cross-compatibility.

Till I see a Tarkin or Bossk 6" figure from Hasbro, they get nothing from me on their new endeavor as well.