Author Topic: TRU "Battle of Endor" Pilot 4-packs  (Read 100421 times)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
Re: TRU "Battle of Endor" Pilot 4-packs
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2010, 11:36 PM »
Totally hyped over Grizz and the bat helmet guy, totally bummed that Hasbro went all EU on the droids.  I'll still take the droids, but wish they would have went with the one Grizz actually used in the battle, and one that actually appeared onscreen someplace for the other one.  Still, pretty decent looking set.  Grizz and bat helmet are must haves.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: November 3, 2010, 10:38 PM »
As per the front page, new pics of the upcoming astromechs from this set of figures...  They're really nice paintjobs, I must say.  I'd prefer the BAD R5 droid get used, but the VOTC's at the very least comparable.

That silver R2-D2 in the story really threw me off.  I don't recall that one at all, and the finish on it is kidn of cool.  It's like an astromech that didn't get painted.  Like a hairless cat...  weird.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #62 on: November 3, 2010, 10:50 PM »
As per the front page, new pics of the upcoming astromechs from this set of figures...  They're really nice paintjobs, I must say.  I'd prefer the BAD R5 droid get used, but the VOTC's at the very least comparable.

That silver R2-D2 in the story really threw me off.  I don't recall that one at all, and the finish on it is kidn of cool.  It's like an astromech that didn't get painted.  Like a hairless cat...  weird.

According to JTA, that R2 is from the UK Woolworth's multipack.

Nevermind, I see that the front page was updated.  :P
« Last Edit: November 3, 2010, 10:53 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: November 3, 2010, 11:05 PM »
Yeah, Jeff caught it almost immediately.  The never-ending encyclopedia of the hobby.  :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 3, 2010, 11:44 PM »
Getting my hands on one of those Woolworth's Silver R2's was a major pain in the ass.  Not that I don't want everyone to have an easy crack at having one, but if they re-release him I won't be able being a little annoyed.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 3, 2010, 11:56 PM »
Wow. I'm losing it. I never heard of that exclusive.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 4, 2010, 01:06 AM »
Wow. I'm losing it. I never heard of that exclusive.

Yeah me neither, I feel exactly the same way...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: November 4, 2010, 01:52 AM »
Obviously neither did I...

It's up there in the, "lame silver figure" category in one way, but like I said, it's actually got a kind of "R2 without a paintjob" look to it too.  Kind of makes it look cool that way.  I still won't buy one, but yeah.

And I totally get being annoyed at it being available easily...  I don't think it's a re-release, Rob.  Just from a trend I noticed, I think it's just "dumb luck" kind of thing.

Another guy overseas that I talk to a bit has a bunch of military stuff available that was a bitch to find and out of production for a while...  Lucked into it at a warehouse I guess.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #68 on: November 4, 2010, 07:17 AM »
I picked one up as I never got that set, so naturally I'm happy with it resurfacing. What I like about this one over those "chrome/silver" figure that TRU released years ago is that this one can actually pass as an "in-universe" astromech. I could see some of these as belonging to Queen Amidala on her various transports or or as the standard droid style for Naboo N-1 starfighter.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 4, 2010, 09:24 AM »
^^^  thats how I feel about it too.  However, I have never ordered anything from Tunghori (or any other overseas trader) because there really has never been any real reason to because I pretty much always find everything at retail and I want to make sure I get the best paint apps.  If I was ever moved to order anything from him/them, then I probably would throw this in the cart for the same reason Jayson states.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 4, 2010, 10:44 AM »
So I was looking at "holes in my collection" and one of the things missing is a whole lot of astromechs - the EE packs that came out during the Saga2 collection.

I just hopped on Ebay, saw that there was a set of these for a relatively low price, considering what they cost initially, and made a bid.

After doing so I started wondering, should I have done that?  My main reason behind asking that question was because of these packs and Hasbro's plans behind them.  Should these TRU packs sell well, do you think Hasbro would look to reissue some if not all of these guys in future exclusive packs?

Specifically I could see the following from these packs being included in as a re-release with in future packs:

R2-X2: from A New Hope
Flies on X-Wing Fighter Red 10 during the Battle of Yavin.

R2-A6: from The Phantom Menace
Assists fighter pilot Ric Olié during the Battle of Naboo.   (I realize this is prequel but still a good pilot/droid combo)

R2-Q2:from A New Hope
Serves Biggs Darklighter during the Battle of Yavin and may be a double agent.

Meh, I guess only two of the droids would really qualify to go in these new packs under the current model so perhaps it is still worth it to buy these packs because in the end you may only one day re-buy 2 of them.  So I think I am answering my own initial question - but I thought I would throw these thoughts into the fire and see what others think about it.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 4, 2010, 12:34 PM »
My take is that you should get them. 

I too picked up the EE packs from eBay (I bought them a few at a time and I think I'm missing one or two).  And its unlikely that Hasbro would ever do a straight repack of these sets.  While they might get one or two out as exclusives, they'll probably be different enough where you would want to rebuy them anyway.  I think its R2-X2, in the EE sets he's black and white, Hasbro "re"released him in an ESB wave last year, except now he is a Kelly Green and white.  So on your shelf it looks like two distinct droids.

Add to that, I have no confidence that Hasbro would rerelease already made droids.  Sure its happened, but to only a handful of droids (outside R2-D2).
I am not the Stig

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #72 on: November 4, 2010, 01:01 PM »
I'd get them, but you never know.  Some of the droids have errors/are open to debate, so redos like X2 are possible.  Hasbro has redone droids, especially protocol droids (K3PO version 3!) but some of those EE ones are fairly obscure.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: November 4, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Astromechs are cheap to toss out there, so I wouldn't say "never" to any of them making a comeback.  I mean, who expected R2-B1 (or whatever he is) from Episode 1, to get an "update" because a better sculpt was out there?

Hasbro's weird like that.

However, I dont' think ALL the astromechs from those sets will ever see the light of day again.  Maybe one here and there is all.  And to me, they all make good rebel fighter extras.  I got extras of most of them one way or another, I think on sale even, and they flesh out a big briefing scene or background street nicely.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2010, 12:18 PM »
When are these supposed to show up?