Author Topic: Vintage Pegwarmers  (Read 13008 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage Pegwarmers
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 07:27 PM »
I'd agree on the Clone for sure...  They're everywhere.  Each K-Mart I visited had 15 of him, and he was practically the only figure left at one store, besides CW/Legends.

Sandtroopers have vanished at Target here, and K-Mart, but not Wal-Mart...  Though I'd say it's maybe 1/3 the # of ROTS Clones if I were to just guess.  4-LOM is around in some quantity too, but nowhere near the ROTS Clone who is at every store, and in abundance at each store.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 09:46 AM »
I only ever see the ROTS Clone, Sandtrooper and Anakin/Vader in any significant quantities at Target, Walmart and Kmart locally.  I wish Kmart had done a buy one get one this week (I missed the one a couple weeks ago...  :'( ) because I'd like to pick up some more of the Sandies.

I think its a positive that the figures that are peg warming are ones that would get bought up quickly if they do a sale (individuals buying multiples) as opposed to pegwarmers from previous lines which sat because buyers were unlikely to pick up a second of that character.
I am not the Stig

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Jesse, it's really Target stores with the Dak figure.  They over-ordered the living hell out of the ESB wave, and most stores still have several Dak figures just hanging there.  I don't think it's a bad thing that he's still available in my area, other than it's a sign that Target over-ordered the wave.  But, I haven't seen one at a Wal-Mart or TRU in a while... so I attribute that to Target being over zealous with the initial wave.  Evolution Rebel pilots galore though still at TRU on clearance, and Comic Pack Rebels still in Wal-Mart clearance aisles for $11.00 each.  It can be relative to different markets of course as you don't seem to see them like we do here (I also recall that Star Trek figures apparently were hot in your area, around here it was the exact opposite and they are STILL sitting at Toysrus, caked in a layer of dust and ash).

Around here, Most of the ESB wave is still rather easy to find, outside of Luke and Leia.

The Clone and Sandtrooper are definitely pegwarmers from the ROTS wave.  I don't find it surprising that the Clone is pegwarming, because really the ROTS sculpt looks better aesthetically, and it's alongside that figure in the Legends line at the same time.  That oversized helmet, and yellowing too just kills it.  The Sandtrooper... I planned on getting a dozen.  But I've bought ZERO.  The reason?  Each one I see has yellowing thighs, and the belts are molded horribly (take a look at them, the edges are all choppy and frayed).  Hasbro did a terrible job on both of those figures in my view.

For ROTJ, the only real pegwarmer I'm seeing is the Endor Rebel.  If I had an extra $500 on me, I could circle St. Louis and nab an army of around 70 of them without too much trouble... saw 13 of them alone yesterday at one Wal-Mart.  Gammoreans though?  I've been persistent as hell and have only found 5 so far (have a 6th, thanks to a trade with a Scummer).

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I usually see quite a bit of the following: 

Sandtrooper
Endor Rebel Soldier
Han Hoth
Anakin Skywalker
Obi Wan Kenobi
Clonetrooper ROTS

Some of these: 

4 LOM
Cloud Car Pilot
C-3PO
Commander Cody
AT-AT Commander
General Grievous
Magna Guard

I rarely see these (it does not mean I never see these - just rarely!) 

Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Dak Ralter (yep never see him now), All of the ROTJ wave except Endor Rebel Trooper

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 12:02 AM »
I forgot Han, Cloud Car Pilot, and Cody...  I see those three a ton as well, but I'm wondering if I'll see Endor Troopers often too once that wave is more widely spread here.  Right now, it seems like ROTJ wave in general is not common...  Though I see Ackbar, Woof, and R2 often, but they're always the same 3 or 4 of each at any given location.  Some places have none of one of those, but will have 3  each of the other two...

Endor Rebels, Gammorreans, Luke, and Wicket are non-existant.

Now we're starting to see Magna Guards though, more often, so I think a lot of it has to do with waves trickling in over time.  ROTJ Wave I still consider too new and thin here.  Wave 1 was widespread but is picked now to to minimums and Wave 2 I probably see more of it than 1 or 3 combined.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 07:22 PM »
From the ESB wave, 4-LOM, Dengar, and Han are the easiest finds, in that order. I wonder if Hasbro ever reconsidered 4-LOM for this line/wave. He can be easily crowned King of All Pegwarmers for TVC. Even 3PO AND Vader sell well in my area! I've only seen Vader 3 times since the debut of TVC.

From Wave 2... always Obi-Wan, and, to me a shocker, Anakin! I wonder how Anakin is always consistently left behind. He's not really pegwarming, but he's always there. There's at least 2-3 of him when I visit Target, and maybe only 1 Clone Trooper, which is even more shocking.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 09:00 PM »
You know, checking out what was at both Target and Wal-Mart today, and it was a lot different.  Target is essentially sold out of the majority of their Star Wars stuff.  The vintage pegs had four 4-LOMs on them, and that was it (after putting a case of the ROTS wave out yesterday).  The other stuff has sold through well too (CW, exclusives, vehicles, etc.) with few exceptions.  Wal-Mart on the other hand has so many figures (from all lines) on the pegs that they are falling off.  I did see that one case of the ROTJ wave must have gotten put out today, but otherwise it is mostly full of ROTS stuff and more primarily Sandtroopers and Clonetroopers (and tons of them).  There might be the odd ESB figure here or there (I saw at least one Luke and Fett, but those might have been carry-overs).  Overall, the vintage stuff seems to be selling pretty well so far and I hope that bodes well for the future of the "collector" line.  The ROTS stuff seems to be a little more common (the two troops in particular), and we'll see what that first "mixed" wave does at retail in 2011.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2010, 11:00 AM »
Only thing sitting in quantity here is the Cloud Car Pilot.  Not even moving at 50% off ($5). 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 10:11 AM »
Wal-Marts here are mostly full of Sandtroopers and yellow helmet Clone Troopers, along with a smattering of Anakin, 4-LOM, and Dengar.  Target has an even larger number of Sandtroopers and both yellow and corrected helmet Clones, with smaller numbers of ROTS Obi-Wan, Anakin, 4-LOM, and Dengar.  TRU has about 2 cases worth of the ROTS wave, none of which are moving due to the ridiculous price that is now 3-4 dollars higher than Target and WM.

Seeing that case assortment for the "repaint" wave has me a little worried, considering that the holidays are over and now there is less of a chance for impulse buyers to get all the Vaders and Grievouses off the pegs.  Not to mention the fact that there are MORE Sandtroopers in the case, along with the uninspiring "new" figures that we'll be seeing for months after the case is released.  Crappy inaccurate Ceremonial Han, I am looking in your direction.   ::)