Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2010  (Read 33731 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NFL Regular Season 2010
« Reply #165 on: February 7, 2011, 07:49 PM »
You'd have done well if you put money down Rob.  Hope you made a little bit along the way.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 7, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Ok I am sure I am in the minority here, but can we stop with the useless " concert" at halftime?  I don't think I've heard a blacked eyes pee song before and after that 30 minute off key yell festival, I think I'll be ok if I never hear them again.

Let's go back to marching bands or monkeys riding collies while herding sheep.  30 minutes of test signal would have been better to look at and sounded about the same.

The sad thing is about the only part of the game I got to see was halftime plus the second half kick off.  So I may be bitter. 

Oddly now that the "Northern Invaders" are gone, the sun is back out and it is 50 degrees. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #167 on: February 7, 2011, 09:46 PM »
That's funny about the weather. :)

I'd be content if they just had Fergie do jumping jacks in a spandex mini-dress for the entire halftime.  I might even enjoy seeing it extended.

Unless you were being sarcastic and I missed it, I doubt you're anywhere in the minority if you want the Half-time either shortened, changed completely, or both.  I personally dig that old stock B&W footage of cats boxing.  I'd put that in for the time and just loop it if it doesn't fill the entire half-time.

The half is boring at every level of football to me.  From instructional all the way to the pros, I just am disinterested.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 7, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Ok I am sure I am in the minority here, but can we stop with the useless " concert" at halftime?  I don't think I've heard a blacked eyes pee song before and after that 30 minute off key yell festival, I think I'll be ok if I never hear them again.

I used to listen to the Black Eyed Peas... It's been downhill for them for about 5 years now (although they get more and more famous).

And Fergie sucks.

That is all.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #169 on: February 7, 2011, 11:22 PM »

And Fergie sucks.

That is all.

With that body I imagine she'll go several stages beyond sucking.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 8, 2011, 09:51 AM »

And Fergie sucks.

That is all.

With that body I imagine she'll go several stages beyond sucking.

She does have a great body, but she has gigantic man-hands and her face is busted as hell.  She kind of looks like a tranny.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #171 on: February 8, 2011, 04:32 PM »
Can I say what an absolute joke it is that Cris Carter is not in the HoF yet?  Plus, he didn't even make it to the next round over a guy like Andre Reed?  That is bull****...Carter is the 2nd best WR ever and it was an absolute joy to watch him week in/week out.  He always gave 110% and caught everything thrown to him, not to mention the career stats.  JOKE

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 8, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Can't argue with that.  He's' a first-ballot kind of guy.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 9, 2011, 07:07 AM »
It's a joke. I get angry every year at this time over it. There is zero logic. I think it's 100% because he wasn't liked by the people who make the decision. To me it makes the NFL look bad by not having him in their HOF.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 9, 2011, 03:03 PM »
I think it is a combination of factors.  Carter was a great WR for his time, but his stats are less impressive as the years go on. NFL rules have favored the pass - I think there were almost 20 guys this year alone that surpassed 1,000 yards for the season.  You also need 80% of the vote to get in.  Sounds like some of the WR votes went to Tim Brown and Andre Reed, so I can see how Carter might have hit the majority vote, but still missed the 80% cutoff.

Looking at the guys who did make the cut, I'd be hard pressed to say Carter should have made it in instead of them: Defensive end Richard Dent, running back Marshall Faulk, linebackers Chris Hanburger and Les Richter, cornerback Deion Sanders, and tight end Shannon Sharpe.  Faulk, Sanders, and Sharpe defined their respective positions for the modern age - I'm not sure you can say the same about Carter.   He also doesn't have any Super Bowls under his belt like most of the others.

Very impressive #2 WR, but not a game changer like these guys were. Here's an interesting table to consider.  I saw online that someone had totaled the rankings for Brown, Reed, and Carter in terms of the # of times they ranked within the top ___ WRs over their career:

Top 3Top 5Top 8Top 12Top 20
Brown24569
Reed13459
Carter016910
Carter made the top 12 in most of the years he played, but he was only a top 5 WR one year and never made the top 3 at his position.  I haven't followed Carter's career that closely, but is there something other than being a local hero that qualifies him above these guys or the guys who were just elected?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 9, 2011, 03:09 PM »
He's number two in almost every career WR statistical category to Rice. Or was when he retired, but is still close with all timers only passing him.

How was he a #2 WR? For the Vikings?

I may have misunderstood what you said.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2011, 03:24 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 9, 2011, 03:43 PM »
He's number two in almost every career WR statistical category to Rice.

How was he a #2 WR? For the Vikings?

I may have misunderstood what you said.

He played #2 to Randy Moss most of the years I saw him, which is why I refer to him as a #2 or possession receiver.  Not trying to take anyting away from him - that's just where I recall him lining up.  Again, I think he was a great player and I'm sure he'll make it in the HOF someday. 

That said, I don't see how he is #2 to Rice in any statistical category - which ones are you referring to?  Along with the table above, I know that Owens and Moss have 150ish TDs, which is well beyond Carter's 130.  Not sure where others rank, but those guys definitely have more and I think they did it in fewer seasons.  Is he #2 in yardage?  Looks like his yardage is lower than Rice, Moss, Owens, and probably others as well. 

I do recall Carter leading the league for several years in collective amount of bitching and whining to the refs, so maybe he can get in next year based on that stat.  ;)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #177 on: February 9, 2011, 03:54 PM »
You are wroing Justin, he was their #1 receiver for most of the years he was here (even when Moss was here) Vastly superior to Reed and Brown across the board statistically.  Not sure what that chart means, Carter consitently led the league in TDs and had the NFL record for catches in a season, and kicks both of those guys butts statistacally yearly and career wise

He is still 3rd all time in receptions, 4th all time in receiving TD's, 8th all time in receiving yards and was named to the 1990's all NFL Team 1st Team

I don't disagree that Dent, Faulk, Sanders and Sharpe are also hall of famers, it is a joke though that Cris Carter isn't and didn't even make the 2nd round cut last weekend.  He's a first ballot sort of guy.  PS Super Bowl wins for the HoF is crap (Barry Sanders

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 9, 2011, 04:18 PM »
I believe the table is based on yards and TDs relative to other WRs each year, but there's no methodology listed that I can see.  Is there a stat showing Carter consistently led the league in TDs?  I tried finding this online and couldn't.  On a side note, I don't find it very compelling when people just say "he led statistically" then don't throw out statistics to back it up.  Statistically, I'm far better at coming up with statistics than you are.   ;)  I also didn't say Super Bowls were everything - just that they do factor into the equation as evidenced by majority of guys who made it in.

Anyway, my intent wasn't to get the Viking fans in the room all riled up.  I've said a couple of times now that I think he was a great player.  I just think there are some valid points as to why he didn't make the cut this time around.  And realistically, if Reed and Brown hadn't been eligable, he would have definitely made the cut in 2011.  I can easily see where those guys would draw some of the votes though.  I also think there is some merit to him rubbing people the wrong way towards his later years, but I don't have anything other than intuition to back that up.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #179 on: February 9, 2011, 04:35 PM »
Cris Carter
Tim Brown
Andre Reed

Scroll down to the bottom for their rescpective accolades

Career Receptions
Career Reception TDs
Career Reception Yards

And BTW...I'm more mad that Reed and Brown made it farther in the voting process than CC than him not making it...and double BTW, neither of them won a SB either
« Last Edit: February 9, 2011, 04:38 PM by Scott »