Author Topic: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season  (Read 52722 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Wow, he has one of the goal lights...  I'm actually insanely jealous right now.

True story, I tried to get some seats from the old Civic Arena but couldn't afford them.  :'(  I wanted a couple seats to put in my collection room just to have them...  I don't collect/display much Pens stuff.  I actually was just thinking about selling my early 90's memerobilia because Iv'e got Francis, Ulfy, Stevens, Tocchet, etc. autographs and I just don't display any of it since I was a kid when I got that stuff.

I have one Pen's autograph displayed, Lemieux's, which I got for writing to him and telling him how my health was bad and things, and how he inspired me to keep playing and trying to improve...  He wrote me back and sent me an autograph.  I'll never part with it and I've already asked to have it in my pocket when I'm burried, haha.

That guy's room  has me seriously jealous...  I mean, chairs, lights, concourse signs, and a flippin' turnstyle from the entrance...  I wanted  one set of chairs and just couldn't justify the cost.

The guy who wrote the article mentioned a Star Wars bathroom...  Kind of a creepy coincidence there. 

I have no clue where Clinton PA is, but that guy's got some of the coolest stuff a common man could've afforded from the Arena. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 11:49 PM »
One game down.  Go Wings.  ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Since the Wild didn't make the playoffs again I will once again be rooting for the Canada-cup drought to reach 18 years. Go U.S.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2011, 01:56 PM »
Since the Wild didn't make the playoffs again I will once again be rooting for the Canada-cup drought to reach 18 years. Go U.S.

Tsk, tsk.  Didn't you know Obama decided you're part of Canada now?  We're buying Minnesota to help offset the deficit.   :P

Predictions:

Canucks over Hawks in 5
Sharks over Kings in 6
Wings over Yotes in 6
Predators over Ducks in 7

Caps over Rangers in 5
Flyers over Sabres in 6
Bruins over Habs in 7 (300 PIM in the series)
Lightning over Pens in 6

Canucks beat Caps in final. 

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2011, 02:18 PM »
I think you may be too kind to Caps assuming they won't self destruct again before reaching the finals.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2011, 03:27 AM »
Game 1 of Boston vs Montreal.  0-2.   >:(

WTF?  Paul?  Weren't you wearing your Montreal jersey tonight?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2011, 03:52 AM »
Maybe his curse isn't easily duped?  It realized what he was trying to do, and you wound up reverse-screwed on that Jesse.   :-\

It was all like, "Whoa!  Paul's trying to help a friend?  Forget that.  Go Habs."
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2011, 07:24 AM »
I didn't get the check/pay pal yet. 

And the curse sets you up, making you think good things are happening. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2011, 03:27 PM »
I don't suppose anyone else is following the whole Coyotes/Jets thing as closely as I am, but wow, is there ever a lot of anger and misinformation out there. 

I can't comment on what's really happening because the NHL isn't letting that out.  There's an incredible amount of speculation locally and nationally in Canada though. 

Probably the most fascinating aspects for me though are the views of those posting on various web pages that have so very much information wrong about what happened when the Jets left and why.  A really common sentiment is that Winnipeg shouldn't get a team because they couldn't support one before, which is erroneous in the first place, but incredibly silly to read because of all the other locations that hockey has returned to.  On top of that, most of those commenters then single out various U.S. cities that actually either had an NHL or a WHA team and then lost it as more suitable replacement locations.  It's getting really interesting. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2011, 11:37 PM »
Hmph.  Game 2.  Montreal 3 Boston 1.  Argh.   >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Hmph.  Game 2.  Montreal 3 Boston 1.  Argh.   >:(

I watched that game.  I didn't see game 1, but if they keep playing that way, they deserve to lose.  They seemed disinterested and unmotivated.  Have fun in Montreal.  I know I picked the Bruins to win the series in seven but thankfully not to be in the Cup final. 

Fascination with the Coyotes thing continues for me.  Constant news items locally and clearly the good people of Arizona hate us.  Funniest thing I've read is that some folks down south think the Goldwater Institute funding is coming directly out of Winnipeg.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2011, 09:40 PM »
There's not been much mention of the move going on here...  I can sort of understand where the three hockey fans in Phoenix are coming from with focusing anger at the city that wants their team...  At the same time, how can you blame anyone up your way for feeling the same way? 

I know Kansas City was the focus city of much mockery from our fans though, when they were making their push to take our team all over the lack of a new arena.  :-\

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2011, 10:55 AM »
Fascination with the Coyotes thing continues for me. 

I read that the Coyotes are asking Red Wings fans to NOT wear their reds, becuase they don't want to be embarassed when VS shows the arena and it's 75% Red Wings Red. :P

Detroit fans: If you can't stay away, please wear white

I also read that you guys were already starting the process to bid on 3-year packages for season tickets to once again highlight that the commitment is there for NHL.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2011, 12:47 PM »
The three year thing is highly annoying.  It's based on an article from a Winnipeg Free Press reporter and nothing other than that.  There's no basis in fact but absolutely everything to do with "the return of the Jets!!!1!!1!" just takes off running like wildfire  ::)

I can tell you based on what I know about the population of Winnipeg that if they're looking for full 40+ game commitments from people it will be a lukewarm response.  I have zero doubt that the luxury boxes (something NOT present in the old Winnipeg arena) would sell out in a fraction of a second with a healthy waiting list.  Not all of the current tenants will ante up at the NHL pricing which is estimated to be 3-4 times as much as they pay for a box for the Moose. 

I think the lower seats (reds) would probably sell out or would be 75% or so sell outs at the full commitment.  After that it gets iffy.  Winnipeggers are inherently cheap and in past they used to sell a ton of what we called mini-packs.  I think that's what you have for the Wild right Jeff?  Up here they are typically ten game packs where they bundle some big draws like Montreal, Toronto  ::), Boston or others with some weaker teams (I imagine Edmonton and Calgary would be the other games they'd try to fill, along with the Carolina or Florida types of teams) - basically games that otherwise people aren't dying to get tickets for.  So the blues and the upper deck would largely be sold as mini-packs or as single game seats rather than true season ticket packages. 

The other hitch is we have no idea what the schedule is going to be.  So what division are we in?  If we're in the central with Minnesota and other true Midwest teams it would work well.  If they slap us over in the Pacific then not so much.  There's really not much love, rivalry inspired or otherwise, for the Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver/Colorado types of teams locally.  I guess we probably have our share of fans for each team but no real major draws there like the Canadiens and Bruins and Leafs.  Sound familiar? 

And I just don't see people ponying up the money for three years.  That's a serious financial commitment for just about anyone when you figure $4000 a year ($100/ticket average) for a single seat so you're looking at three years $12,000 and you're probably buying two seats doubling that.  One year commitments I think would be easy but laying it out front for $24K on average?  Uh, no, not here and I don't think there are too many places where you'd get a positive affirmation on that concept. 

I think the owners here understand that won't fly so well and if they don't then they should probably rethink relocating a team.  I see no problems with the team being well supported going forward for years to come but that too will depend on the product they put on the ice. 

The good news is that this arena is owned by the ownership group already.  They own a pile of the buildlings around the arena so they can expand if they want.  They can tear them down for parking if they want.  They aren't dependent on government funding for anything at this point so it's a really positive situation.  They're also being absolutely silent on this as compared to a Balsillie type of approach and I think that'll sit well with the NHL owners that these guys seem to understand their place already and aren't trying to do anything other than what the NHL wants. 

Will the NHL return?  I dunno, I've seen it so many times I'm not getting too fired up just yet.  As I said I am really entertained by it all, the ignorant comments on both sides are fascinating to see and pretty equal in their stupidity.  But I will be in for a pair of ten-game minipacks so about $2000 from me. 

I'll go this far:  Winnipeg is small enough that there's really only about 2, maybe 3 degrees of separation here.  Based on what I hear from the guys in the restaurant industry we'll have a team in the fall for sure.  What team it will be is yet to be determined - it could be the Coyotes, it could be Atlanta.  From what I hear the NHL would much prefer to keep the Coyotes where they are and move Atlanta here.  I think Phoenix/Glendale isn't a bad market, but they put the arena in a bad place and that does really impact attendance.  So with the fiasco that's ongoing in the ownership issues, we may get them yet. 

We do also hear an awful lot about the Quebec City, Hamilton and Kansas City sites as getting the Coyotes.  Quebec City is supposedly much better liked by players and is ready to go with the old Coliseum but their new arena is dependent on both provincial and federal dollars.  I see no problem with he provincial funding but the federal dollars opens the door to all the other Canadian teams getting money at some point down the road once the precedent is set and I don't think the Feds want that.  Hamilton is a great site and they'd have no problem, but Balsillie is the probable owner in that area and I think the NHL might hate him more than they hate Winnipeg (WHA stuff) plus they have the potentially very large impact on the Buffalo market.  Toronto is like Green Bay  in terms of security for tickets so there is zero issue there.  KC?  I don't know here, I heard they have an arena and they have the population but I think that's another Columbus ultimately.  A good core of fans but maybe not rabid and no real ownership group has been discussed. 

True North Entertainment in Winnipeg racks up money from the use of the arena (top 20 busiest in North America for various events like concerts, exhibitions, etc.) and has played completely by the rules.  HD video broadcast equipment was installed a couple of weeks ago.  The fan base is rabid.  The arena is owned by the ownership group free and clear with room to expand.  Everyone I know that's supposedly in the know says it's happening. 

For now: GO WINGS!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2011, 12:14 PM »
GO WINGS!

Man, that was a good 3rd period last night.  I got sucked in and when Cleary scored, the Coyotes were done.  You could see it in their faces.  They put together a few good chances, but honestly from that goal on out, the Wings were in control and PHX never had a chance.  I'm still not a big Bertuzzi guy, but I liked the way he turned it up a notch at the end there, Modano played well at the end too.

Now we wait to see what happens in the desert...

I love reading some of the stories out of Phoenix, where fans are complaining about having their team stolen from them.  It's like none of them see the irony about being pissed someone is "stealing" their team, when the people doing the "stealing" are the ones who suffered the same fate 15 years ago.  Karma's a bitch.   :P

Also, I saw this today: "Fifteen years ago, Doan was a rookie with the Winnipeg Jets. They reached the playoffs only to be knocked out in the first round by the Detroit Red Wings."  Fitting, no?  >:D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender