Author Topic: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season  (Read 52709 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Yup, both Doan and Lidstrom (and I think maybe one other wing) played in that last game in 1996. 

I've never really bought into the notion that anyone is stealing anyone else's team.  I've never been happy that the team left and I certainly didn't buy into following the Coyote's because they used to be our team either.  But I do feel for the fans down there right now. 

Beyond the wings knocking them out of the playoffs there are other similarities:

Crappy economy: sucked here in 1990s and the U.S. is certainly struggling.  Where it gets funny/ironic is how the Phoenix fans say we had a team and lost them because we couldn't afford them.  No sympathy for the economics of the 90s at all. 

Poor ownership: dubious in the current situation, dubious in the 1990s.  Winnipeg needed an arena because we had no luxury boxes and concessions/parking were going to Winnipeg Enterprises, not the ownership.  Winnipeg was looking for government money for the new arena and got none.  Now Phoenix has the building but the ownership is looking for a government handout as well. 

Lousy record: Phoenix has carried on the Winnipeg Jets theme of one and done in the playoffs admirably.  Though in Winnipeg's case at least a few years they had to continually contend with the Oilers during their dynasty.  But we averaged 13K in attendance in a building with a capacity of 15565 whereas Phoenix's attendance has been weaker. 

The next great simiarity will be that two cities loathe and despise Gary Bettmean. 

Truthfully I would rather Atlanta relocate to Winnipeg instead of Phoenix.  I think that team has a better, younger core going forward.  There also wouldn't be all the hatred from the Arizona fans.  Who knows though, maybe we'll get nothing.  Wouldn't really be all that surprising.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Truthfully I would rather Atlanta relocate to Winnipeg instead of Phoenix.  

Not me...
- PHX moving probably means VAN/COL head to the Pacific and you get us, CGY, EDM, and VAN/COL (and share my late night hockey game pain)
- ATL moving probably means sending Nashville to the SE and you get their place in the Central (with fewer mountain/pacific time zone games)  ::)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:55 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Yeah, that's a part of the reason I want it to happen.  I've always hated those Mountain/Pacific time zone games and I think the team would draw better in the Central.  Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver with Winnipeg in a division isn't so great for the Winnipeg fans.  I completely support Calgary and Edmonton being in the same division to maximize that rivalry but I don't only want to see Canadian teams roll through here and I believe that would negatively impact ticket sales.  And Vancouver being in the division currently is just stupid. 

I guess if it was MN, Col, Cal, EDM and WPG I'd be ok with it.  At least we could play a couple of U.S. based teams on a regular basis.  Might even get a rivalry going between MN and WPG. 

I'd like to see a more true Central or Midwest division though with Minnesota, Winnipeg, Dallas, St. Louis and someone else; I guess leave St. Louis out of it and bring Calgary/Edmonton.  Throw San Jose, Vancouver, LA, Anaheim and Colorado into the Pacific.

Rumors locally are still that it will be the Manitoba Jets if the Coyotes move and the Manitoba Falcons if we get the Thrashers. 

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2011, 09:02 PM »

I'd like to see a more true Central or Midwest division though with Minnesota, Winnipeg, Dallas, St. Louis and someone else; I guess leave St. Louis out of it and bring Calgary/Edmonton.  Throw San Jose, Vancouver, LA, Anaheim and Colorado into the Pacific.

Agreed.  Nothing like the 10pm start for all the divisional away games.  I would love Dallas to be in a true Central division.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Heading back to Game 6 in Chicago?  Not looking good for Vancouver, seems destined for a Game 7 in that one.  Good for the old Wings to get the extra rest while Vancouver/Chicago and Anaheim/Nashville burn through a couple extra games.

Bruins/Habs seems to be another series destined for a Game 7. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2011, 01:45 PM »
I'd like the Wild to be in the old pseudo Norris with Detroit, Chicago and St Louis.  Detroit and Chicago are rivals in Football and Baseball already...and used to be in Hockey.  Having Vancouver in the Wild division is asinine...if Atlanta moves hopefully they shift Nashiville and Columbus to the East and the Wild to the Central and Manitoba ::) to the Northwest.  Phoenix moves, Vancouver to the Pacific and Winnipeg to the NW which won't be horrible but still 3 of the 5 in MT time.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2011, 02:56 PM »
Hey, sorry, the suggestions are it'll be Manitoba now, not Winnipeg, in the team names.  I'm just telling you what the rumors are.  I'm fine with it being called Winnipeg. 

I don't at all disagree with Minnesota in the old Norris though.  I could see Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Winnipeg, Dallas as viable.  It's a pain to always have to watch later games and the travel expenses would certainly add up relative to a MN team playing Chi/Det/St.L all the time, but hopefully the league would recognize that.  I fully expect the NHL to manage to botch it no matter what. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Looks like I need to update my post from the other day...

Heading back to Game 6 in Chicago Tampa Bay?  Not looking good for Vancouver Pittsburgh, seems destined for a Game 7 in that one.    :-X

Seriously, JJ - your team looked terrible.   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2011, 01:58 PM »
They looked bad in Game 2 also though, so I have hope.  Make no mistake though, there's not much of anyone here who has cup hopes this year.  They got lazy yesterday and really didn't play their game.  If I worried about how they were going to perform this year in the post-season, my ulcer would've tripled in size I think.   :-\  They were competing for the #1 seed in the East right up till the end, and without their top 2 forwards.  I'm just happy they've done what they've done.  If anything Tampa should've blown them out every game and yet they're the ones facing elimination every game now.  Weird stuff.

Everyone's in love with the team right now, even if they don't do anything this year...  They've got a lot of heart and grit.  When they play their system and force the other team to adjust, they're really tough.  Just a matter of putting full games together playing their system.  I'm just kind of disappointed that Kovalev won't be around next year most likely, as I would've liked to have seen him on a line with Malkin or Crosby.  He's up there in age, but he's still got it and I think he just needs to be with the right players to be a big performer.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 02:00 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Heading back to Game 6 in Chicago?  Not looking good for Vancouver, seems destined for a Game 7 in that one.    :-X

Had to send your quote back to the original Jeff...  Huge win by Chicago tonight, but I'm honestly shocked that they pulled it out.  Looking at Vancouver's shots on goal in the 3rd and OT, I can't believe that Crawford stopped them all (and had a few lucky bounces as well).

I would not want to be Luongo on Tuesday night.  That guy has all the pressure in the world on him...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2011, 11:18 PM »
There have been some great OT games in the last couple of days.  I've been really enjoying the playoff games of late.   

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2011, 09:27 PM »
OK, now I'm worried.  The Pens are down by two, and they just can't score a goal...  It's really sad on the power play anymore, to watch it without any of the set-up centers needed to make it work.  Letang is a shell of his former self.

If there's a game 7 I don't think the Penguins will win.  They're not forcing their game anymore, and Tampa just feeds off of it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2011, 09:31 PM »
As a guy from Tampa who's been working late every night for the last few weeks and hasn't had a chance to watch any of the Lightning games, I'm really hoping they advance.   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2011, 09:43 PM »
You may get that Rob...  The Pens are basically a shell of a team, and can't seem to establish the game that works for them in that situation against Tampa right now, at least for these past two games.  It was close tonight, and both teams had their games on at different times, but Tampa poured it on in the third.

They're a team right now I'd root for out of the East too, should they move on.  Game 7 coming up...  Doesn't look good for my Penguins at this stage though.  I always hold out hope till it's over though.

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2011, 01:48 AM »
Pens just looked tired tonight. I will be surprised if we win on Wednesday.
Tampa is playing really well too tho

Jim
Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim