Author Topic: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season  (Read 52839 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2011, 10:57 AM »
By all rights, the current series against the Lightning should be over.  They had a three goal lead in game four they blew.  I give the Lightning credit for fighting back, but the Bruins just seem to relax and take their foot off the pedal when they have a chance to bury a team.

Same thing could be said in the other direction... the Lightning have scored 5 goals 4 times in 6 games.  If they lose tomorrow night, the fact that they gave up 6 in one of those will be the thing that drives me the craziest.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 27, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Game 7 is anybody's game for sure.  I'm just hoping the B's make it through.  I don't really begrudge Tampa having a team, I think that's the correct Florida market for it.  And the Lightning have good talent for sure, I'm just preferring old school hockey.  Toe Blake.  Eddie Shore. 

Theoretically the next date for the announcement of NHL returning to Winnipeg is again on a Tuesday, this time May 31st.  This is just before the finals start.  It is subject to Bettman's whims of course, so we'll see.  Clearly helping out Winnipeg on getting going for next season really isn't much of a concern for the league.   
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #197 on: May 27, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Interesting things to ponder...

1 - Lots of Phoenix to Seattle rumors popping up over the last few days now that W'peg is seemingly taking ATL.  I always thought KC or Quebec would be next after Winnipeg, but I guess after losing the Supersonics, there are a more than a few folks up that way who would like something to do on a rainy December afternoon.

2 - is it sad to anyone else that the NBA finals are set before the NHL finals, despite the NHL starting a good 2-3 weeks before the NBA?  And the fact that, if we get to Game 7, he NHL playoffs could last until JUNE 15th? 

3 - WPG - I heard the same Brent - it's Tuesday the 31st or it has to wait until after the finals.  More wait and see...

4 - For Game 7, I'm picking TB in 1OT, like maybe...  4-3.   Think of the airfare they're going to have to spend, flying back and forth Vancouver to TB - that might be the biggest distance possible between two NHL teams?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 27, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Tons and tons of rumours out there regarding teams moving.  Lots of suggestions of other cities throughout the U.S. as opposed to Winnipeg.  I'm not opposed to a lot of them either and I'm quite confident Bettman would find Seattle, K.C., Green Bay, Indianapolis, Houston and others preferable to Winnipeg.  The key difference being where is the ownership group for each of these cities.  Over the past couple of years Phoenix has been dangling out there like bait for interested parties, why has no one but Winnipeg and Hamilton stepped up?  Winnipeg is prepared to pay the asking price for Atlanta and the absurd NHL transfer fee (I think the NHL should be paying Winnipeg for bailing out the Atlanta ownership group and preventing another bankruptcy in the NHL, but that's just me).  Where are the other interested parties to bid on that team?  There are none. 

Agree on the playoffs taking too long.  I think the gaps between games are too long as well.  It should be two in a row with a day off for travel then two more nights in a row.  They do lots of travel and same day games during the season, they can do it in the playoffs too. 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I like the drawn out playoffs. To me the NHL regular season is pretty worthless, relatively. With 16 teams making the playoffs and that it seems like there are more "upsets" in the NHL than other sports in the playoffs I like that the "real" season takes this long. Just my opinion.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2011, 02:33 PM »
I'd like to see the NHL playoffs shortened a little as well... 

An NHL team in Seattle (or Portland?) would be neat I think.  I wonder though, if Atlanta moves out of the East, who moves in?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2011, 02:43 PM »
Personally I like how long it takes... I'm no purist and I don't even follow hockey that closely during the regular season, but I love playoff hockey (especially when Tampa is in it).  The way it's so spread out kills a lot of the drag between football seasons. :)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2011, 02:55 PM »
if Atlanta moves out of the East, who moves in?

Everything I read says Detroit (if they re-do the divisions) or Nashville (since they are closest to SE).  

Then MN would slide into the Central, and ATL/WPG would go in the NW.  Or, if you believe some other sources, Dallas goes to the Central, Vancouver/Colorado go to the Pacific, and ATL/WPG takes the open spot in the NW.

I've also seen some rumors that have the NHL blowing up the whole thing... one I saw was pretty crazy -

"Prince of Wales"
Great Lakes = MON, OTT, TOR, BUF, DET
Mid-Eastern = CBJ, PIT, PHI, CHI, STL
Atlantic = BOS, NYR, NYI, NJD, WAS

"Clarence Campbell"
Southeast = FLA, TB, CAR, NAS, DAL
Northwest = COL, MIN, WPG, EDM, CAL
Pacific = LA, SJ, ANA, VAN, PHX

That one drops the SE into the "West" and basically sends the Central teams to a revampes "East" (Wales).

I saw another version of that one that moved teams around a little, mostly to keep Boston and Montreal together...

"Prince of Wales"
Adams = MON, OTT, TOR, BUF, BOS
Mid-Eastern = CBJ, PIT, PHI, CHI, DET
Patrick = CAR, NYR, NYI, NJD, WAS

"Clarence Campbell"
Southeast = FLA, TB, NAS, DAL, STL
Northwest = COL, MIN, WPG, EDM, CAL
Pacific = LA, SJ, ANA, VAN, PHX

Imagine that - The Penguins and Detroit in the same group, with the Flyers and the Blackhawks too.  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Yeah, I don't like that.  Our divisions hard enough these days.

They should move Columbus here...  That'd be my personal take since it's a hop skip and a jump West on I-70, from Pittsburgh.  Nashville and Detroit are both further drives for sure.  I think The Pens take a bus to Columbus as it is.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Great game...scoreless after two! Next goal may win it. Both teams are skating well, refs are letting them play.

That play where the dude got smashed in the face with the puck was brutal. I never want to know what that would feel like.

Hockey players are the toughest mofos in sports, for shizzle.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 27, 2011, 10:33 PM »
1-0 Bruins in the 3rd.  I'm crapping my pants here.   :o

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 27, 2011, 10:43 PM »
One ******* mistake and your season is over... damn.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Congrats to the B's.  Tough, tough loss for the Lightning who equally deserve to be going forward. 

Next series is a tough one.  I'm more of a Boston fan than a Canuck fan, that much is certain.  As a Canadian I'd like to see the Cup north of the border for the first time in a very long time.  Hmm....

Bruins in six.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2011, 02:07 AM »
Canucklefucks in 6.

I'm more a Beantown fan myself, and Recchi will forever be a favorite of mine...  I don't think they can match Vancouver right now though.  I don't think many in the East could this year.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2011, 08:38 PM »
10:00 CST?  Tuesday?  Maybe?