Author Topic: TVC will fail...  (Read 21285 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: TVC will fail...
« Reply #60 on: December 2, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Yeah, when I go to Target it's usually right at 8:00 am after I drop my son off at school.  The store is immaculate at that time.  It's the customers who chuck things all over the place.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: December 2, 2010, 03:57 PM »
I'd have thought the same thing, but this store's pretty meticulous about keeping clean and organized.  That'd be a long time that it was hidden before found, and at another WM I'd maybe buy it, but this one's pretty spotless.  Plus I hit this one often and it'd have to be really hidden for myself to have missed it, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2010, 10:23 PM »
I may be in the minority here but I, for one, believe that Hasbro needs to take a HUGE "L" (loss) in order for them to right the ship. I'm talking a disappointing, catasprohic "Episode 1 line" sized L. Hasbro has cruised down easy street for waaaaay too long when it comes to the SW line. I believe that the collectors need to be catered to a bit more. I think that a smaller collector's focused line would do fine. Small in numbers, it could survive. Hasbro would have to be careful no to get too greedy and not over do it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2010, 12:02 AM »
I don't know...

Hasbro's not Sideshow.  That's two completely different business models, both designed from the ground up in different ways for them to make money.  Hasbro doesn't do "small" to make money.  They profit off large mass production stuff...  Sideshow can live off a small collector-focused niche.  I think Hasbro would be making their big loss move by thinking they could make a collector-only line that was profitable for them.

I mean, look at what we get, and what sells compared to what doesn't sell?  To me, the proof's there.   :-\ 

The problem with saying, "small in numbers and it could survive", is that you just don't know what their minimums are that they need to make and sell for them to make needed profits.  That's where the bean-counting comes in, and it's apples and oranges for Hasbro and other companies.  Small to Hasbro is still pretty big.

I can't really say I look at the line though, and think that they're NOT catering to collectors a lot already.  Not completely of course, not by far, but to say we don't get more than our fair share is kind of slighting some of the best stuff Hasbro's done in the modern line I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42 AM »
I mostly agree, however, I do think that Hasbro could cater to collectors more.  For instance.  We have TVC and Legacy right now.  All of the Vaders, Anikins, Obi-Wans and Yodas and Chewies should all be in Legacy.  These are characters that are popular with kids, and Hasbro has excellent sculpts of each to work from.

TVC should only be collector oriented.  Did we really need another Vader?  Obi-Wan? Another Obi-Wan? Jango? I mean, come on.  They already had a sculpt of the little Utapau guy that was not used, and they didn't put him in the ROTS wave.

The new figures we've gotten in TVC have been great.  But imagine if there had been new figures in every slot that was a re-release.
Also, they have stated that they are not making "non-agressive" characters such as Jocasta Nu.  That stinks, and it shows that collectors are secondary.

Now, I understand their business model, and the scope they are working on, but they essentially don't have to do anymore work to satisfy the casual collector, and they could give the serious collector some more attention.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2010, 03:04 PM »
The new figures we've gotten in TVC have been great.  But imagine if there had been new figures in every slot that was a re-release.
Also, they have stated that they are not making "non-agressive" characters such as Jocasta Nu.  That stinks, and it shows that collectors are secondary.

Now, I understand their business model, and the scope they are working on, but they essentially don't have to do anymore work to satisfy the casual collector, and they could give the serious collector some more attention.

I have to comment on this because I am puzzled it's still comes up as often as it does. This is a sore spot subject with so many collectors that has been explained so many times over, even direct responses from Hasbro cannot seem to extinguish this offended feeling. Characters like Vader, Obi and Jango subsidize the obscure characters. The main characters can get re-released a lot more than say Jocastu Nu making them way more profitable in the present as they are consistent in demand figures. It also makes them more profitable in the future as demand is always there for the key players. While some may want the old lady she will have a limited window run and that's it. She may get made but after the Yarna debacle can you blame them for being extra cautious?

To say Hasbro is not focusing on the collector enough is a bit intellectually dishonest. Stop and think about what they brought to the market since July. They have produced so many collector oriented items this year alone: Vintage packaging on figures, Vehicles, 9 pack, supreme redos of key characters, Jabba/Throne, more accurate Bomber, Target Hoth packs, more Geo packs, New Big AT-AT, new Snowspeeder & the new Cloud Car. Yes they screwed up the comic pack line but despite that they still released the canceled ones at conventions and EE, all of which are collector focused.

They gave us a lot of focus including a mail away Rocket Firing Fett. How much more can you ask for? I hope every year going foward delivers the quality this year did.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2010, 03:49 PM »
To go with something JACK touched on, I think the argument that characters like Vader not being a Vintage figure isn't a good one.  He has sold decently.  At least near me he has, and I wager if you asked Hasbro they'd say he's selling well on any card.  Other characters tend to do well like that too.

But like JACK mentioned, those figures subsidize the obscure...  It's a fact of life you're going to get them.

However, I do agree with you Steve that some of those should probably have been relegated to either Legacy, or Vintage, but certainly not both.  Obi-Wan for sure, Anakin... 

But then that leaves Hasbro in a dilemma, where they release them on Legacy cards where they're the better value ultimately, but then they're ignoring the collecting world who maybe want the "main" characters to turn up on Vintage style cards.  Ani/Obi on vintage cards in a ROTS wave are figures I only buy if there's something new to them, but some folks would not be happy if ANi/Obi didn't turn up on vintage-style ROTS cards because they're the main guys.

But I totally agree that there have been too many Legacy/Vintage run-ins with figure choices, and it's not helped.  It certainly hasn't helped the potential kid purchases from parents/grandparents, as Legacy's the better deal.

JACK listed a lot of great collector-focused stuff though.  The line's definitely doing a lot for the adult collectors then.  They're never going to be perfect on the basic line's choices, but I think they're doing ok.  I wish they'd maybe limit the number of certain figures like Obi-Wan, if they're putting out a repack on the vintage style cards.  Then again, Hasbro probably thought the Clone from ROTS was a great idea.  Now it's languishing on the pegs everywhere.  Sometimes I suppose it's a crapshoot as to what people will or won't support.

To add to the point about Legacy/Legends though, I have to say this line was abandoned almost completely for collectors.  That is a bummer.  I really enjoyed 2007, though it was expensive collecting repacks and the new figures at the same time.  I'd like to see them be a little more conservative about what they do with Legends then, instead.  But it's the only way figures like Jocasta Nu will ever happen too, so it's a necessary evil.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Remember too, Hasbro also has to budget for the TCW line. I did a quick tally and observed the following basic carded figure totals (excluding exclusives) going back to 2007's TAC line:

2007-2008
Basic TAC: 75
Legends: TAC: 49
=====

2008-2009
Basic TLC "Blue Cards": 53 + 4 GH = 57
Legends: TLC "Blue Cards": 27
Basic TCW: 27
=====

Basic TLC "Red Cards": 61
Legends: TLC "Red Cards": 19
Basic TCW "Red Cards": 50
=====

Legends/SOTDS: 23
TVC: approx. 50
Basic TCW: 43
=====

As long as Hasbro can continue to make money through the Legends and Clone Wars segments, I don't see TVC (or whatever "collector" targeted line comes next) going anywhere., let alone failing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:26 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2010, 09:18 PM »
I don't see TVC going anywhere., let alone failing.

Bu... bu... But what are we supposed to panic about?!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2010, 11:01 PM »
Fleet Trooper's height and his vest not coming off.

Both very good things to panic about IMO.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2010, 09:16 AM »
Height?  Maybe.   But since the vest never came off in the film, is it really that important?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2010, 04:11 PM »
Yes, because the separate sculpt vests add depth you can't seem to duplicate otherwise.  It's something figures without it lately have lacked, aeshtetically...  even VOTC Han lacks because of that IMO.  But it also helps add to customizing and army building if you can ditch the vests, so it's definitely a negative in my book... especially since it'd actually be a step back from the POTJ figure (which would almost be impossible. :)).

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Yes, because the separate sculpt vests add depth you can't seem to duplicate otherwise.  It's something figures without it lately have lacked, aeshtetically...  even VOTC Han lacks because of that IMO.  But it also helps add to customizing and army building if you can ditch the vests, so it's definitely a negative in my book... especially since it'd actually be a step back from the POTJ figure (which would almost be impossible. :)).

It's also a step back from the POTF2 one! :P

I actually prefer the non-removable vest Han more than the separate one. (I hate that barrel torso sculpt.) I would be just fine if this vest is not removable as it appears. As long as the helmet is removable I will be very happy. I ditched all of my RFT so I currently have non in my collection. Count me in for 14-20 of these guys. This is one trooper that really needs to come with an extra head. If they gave up the vest for another head that would be a really good trade off in my book.

BTW - TVC will fail...at TRU for $10.99 each!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2010, 04:50 PM »
The "barrel chest" is from the ball-jointed articulation on that Han though, not the vest, so I'd still prefer VOTC Han with a removable vest if they had done it.  They just didn't.  And the Commtech Han's vest is so thick it looked bad too.  Newer figures sported the much thinner sculpts on separate sculpted coats/vests though, and they're outstanding.  Ceremony Luke is all the further you need to look...  It's great, and a vest like that on a Han or Fleet Trooper (thin, separate sculpted) would look awesome.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Do not get me wrong, I prefer a removable vest but can live without it on this one figure. I agree on the quality of the vests.