Author Topic: Fleas, Chemicals and Figures  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Fleas, Chemicals and Figures
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:23 PM »
So I recently moved into a new apartment and it turns out it's got a rather serious flea infestation. We've got an exterminator coming in the next few days to gas the little buggers, but I'm just a bit concerned about the ol collection, not sure if the gas will have any effect on them or not (kind of worried it might yellow the white guys or something) Does anyone have any experience with this? Just wondering if I should put some stuff away or if it's no big deal. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Fleas, Chemicals and Figures
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Sorry to say I've never really thought much about it.  Do you know how he's going to be doing the exterminating?  You may want to ask him specifics as he may have some good answers for you.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:05 PM »
If you have an air conditioner, BLAST that thing. Make it freakin' cold in the apartment. Bugs in general don't like it. Fleas are susceptible to it.

We're having a problem with stink bug infestation here in Pittsburgh, and making it cold in the house helps keep them from coming in.

Oh and believe it or not canned air works too, at least in the immediate.

Blast those little suckers and you'll darn near freeze them. Then either take them outside or kill them.

Either way, you get rid of them.

Good luck.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 05:20 PM »
You're in Canada, aren't you Greedo?  If so read this link as it pertains to fleas in Canada.  The general information is relevant wherever but the products being sprayed are probably one of the listed ones and if I was guessing it'll be methoprene. 

As for what it will do to the figures I'd guess nothing.  They'll likely apply it where the fleas wouuld prefer to be, so closets, baseboards, possibly furniture.  I doubt your collection is going to be touched by the spray because they likely won't "gas" in the sense of a big tent over the apartment or anything like that.  There'll be minimal residue I would think. 

As always, when it doubt, pack it away.  Especially anything difficult or expensive to replace.  I probably wouldn't leave a loose or carded vintage item out for that but the modern stuff wouldn't be an issue.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.