Author Topic: Knight Models Star Wars Miniatures  (Read 19311 times)

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
Knight Models Star Wars Miniatures
« on: October 13, 2010, 07:55 PM »
A new company has started producing a high quality white metal line of Star Wars Miniatures.

Knight Models

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:06 AM »
I got an email about this tonight too but can't figure out when they got this license...

Weird stuff as there are two scales, 30mm and 70mm...  70's getting nearer to figure scale, and the Han comes complete with an alcove/seat and table, but 70mm is still pretty undersized for figures (I know some would've been curious).  90mm is much closer.

These are more a collectible than a gaming piece I think...  The prices are probably relatively high.  They're also considered kits too, kinda like the big boxed figures WEst End Games made like Jabba the Hutt (who I was just looking at last night.  I LOVED WEG Minis...  nobody did minis like WEG did them).

I'm really surprised a company is doing Star Wars miniatures in cast metals though...  Especially after cheap mass-market minis did fairly dismally despite a certain ammount of customizability with them even if their paint aps sucked nut.

Their stuff looks insanely detailed though, so they're probably going after the very niche "miniature figure model kit" market, which is out and about, but which is definitely a small group.  It's a shame they weren't doing 90mm figures...  I'd be all over those, simply as a complement to the basic figure line.

For people curious about prices, the figures in the 70mm scale range from around $70 to $140-ish.  Yup. :)

The 30mm figures are more around $20-ish...  Not as bad.  But these really are pricey if you had gaming in mind at all, haha.  I'll stick with WOTC army builders I guess.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:11 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:28 AM »
This is an interesting development.  I hadn't seen any hint of this company getting a license, didn't see any photos at the various toy fairs or Comic-Con.

They're a Spanish company so maybe this type of model sells better in Europe than in the US and they're going after that market?  De Agostini has done well over the last 10+ years with their European collectible magazines, some of which also included miniature figures or, currently, ships.

I was kind of shocked when I saw the prices on these also.  They're in the range with Attakus (another European company) only it looks like you have to paint them yourself.

I don't think it's in my budget to collect a line like this, but I'd be happy to scrounge up some coin if they did a nice AT-AT Driver.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Captain_Teague

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • OUTERRIM FORUMS
OUTERRIM
STAR WARS FAN AND COLLECTORS SITE
http://outerrim.web.fc2.com/
http://outerrim.forums-free.com/

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Knight Models Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 12:33 PM »
So, as I'm looking over their site, Tarkin and Vader popped into the 70MM section.  I'm pretty sure they weren't there when I first started looking at the site.

And as I was looking through the prices in the store, I refreshed and Tarkin and Vader both came up, and Yoda went to Sold Out.

I'd be interested in knowing how long this company has had the license and how long these have been available.

Captain Teague, I take it that Yoda is yours, and you own it?  How long ago did you pick him up and do you know how long these have been available from Knight Models?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 01:27 PM »
I think they started selling them as far back as May 2010...  maybe even before that.  I know they popped up on the mini/gaming sites sometime before memorial day.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 02:33 PM »
Like the Tarkin, and since he's a character focus I'm really tempted to buy, but I'll have to pass.  The price is killing me on these.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 08:32 PM »

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 11:53 AM »
It would be better if they sold the miniatures with the paintjob spotted in their catalog.

I find hard that a fan could reach that level of painting, only if he is an artist (graphic designer, painter, sculptor)

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 07:46 PM »
It would be better if they sold the miniatures with the paintjob spotted in their catalog.

I find hard that a fan could reach that level of painting, only if he is an artist (graphic designer, painter, sculptor)

Well I just finished the Han Solo and having never painted a miniature before, I found it surprisingly easy to do a pretty good job.  It was basically paint by number.  The miniature paint companies make it so easy with the premixed color.  It's just a matter of patience, but you just have to follow the steps and it comes together. Prime, base coat, wash, dry brush.  Plenty of free tutorial guides online too.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 11:02 PM »
It's pretty cool that they provide everything you need to get the best possible paint job accomplished.  I just may consider tackling one of these, and I've never painted a miniature either.  I haven't painted anything since I was a young teen making models.

Anyone know who carries these, besides direct from Knight Models?  I didn't find any listings on BBTS or EE.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 11:06 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 09:15 PM »
I bought mine from Noble Knight.  (They also have a decent stock of WEG miniatures-just for you Jesse.)  I've also seen them at other online shops that specialize in miniatures.

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 3, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Darth Vader

Darth Maul

New updates for the Knight Models 30mm line.  The Sith Lords have arrived.

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 05:24 PM »
As Knight Models have now produced 16 releases with 27 Miniatures total in their 30mm line I thought I would give this thread a bump with a gallery for easy reference.

Han Solo

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Luke Skywalker

Anakin Skywalker

Chewbacca with C-3PO

Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee 2 Pack

Darth Vader

Darth Maul

Aayla Secura

Count Dooku

Princess Leia

Shaak Ti

Ki-Adi Mundi

Boba Fett

Stormtrooper 5 Pack

General Grievous and 4 Magna Guard Droids

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Updates on their site today would indicate that Knight Models seem to have dropped the license.  Good run while it lasted, wish it could have got more out of though.