Author Topic: Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Speculation  (Read 36093 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Speculation
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:03 AM »
I was talking to one of my other buddies the other day about the potential for another Trilogy probably being likely.  With the rumors that a live action series isn't probably possible with a TV show budget it made me think that LFL was pondering doing more movies. 

So the logical question to me is, "If they want to keep doing Star Wars, why not do more movies?"

Then the rumors popped up this weekend with IESB all but saying its a done deal.  This has been 100% denied by LFL...so what do you think?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Speculation
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:11 PM »
I think I'll take LFL's word for it at this point...  Thought when the report was first out I thought, "Eh, maybe that's how they're going to do the TV show now?", but I guess that's not the case.  I figured though, back when LFL first said the budgeting concerns for the live-action show had creeped up, that maybe they'd do them as a movie.

Lucas seems like he'd really be kind of hooked on an idea and not want to let it go, and work to get it done however it needed to be done.  Then I thought about them debuting Clone Wars as a film...  I could see them doing the live-action series the same way.

Like I said though, I'll take LFL's word for it that it's 100% bunk, but I've always sort of wanted to see Star Wars continue on the big screen.  Particular a post-ROTJ film set re-establishing the Jedi Order, showing Han and Leia's relationship beyond the kiss on Endor, and looking at things from the perspective that the galaxy's big, the Emperor's control vast, and that things wouldn't have just been all hunky dory once the Emperor died.  Just not logical.

I'm also content with books covering the time after Endor too though...  I've been kinda bummed on the lack of a TV series explaining the "Dark Times" era though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:25 PM »
I'm kind of in the same camp.  For now, I'll take Lucasfilm's word for it, although we've seen many instances of both Lucasfilm and Hasbro where they'll deny, deny, deny until they are ready to "officially" announce something.

I have to admit, the prospect of more new Star Wars on the big screen is exciting to me.  Personally, although it would never happen I'd guess, I would have liked to see the Thrawn trilogy in movie form.  The actors (Ford/Hamill/Leia/etc.) are all way too old for that now, but it would have been cool.  Aside from that, I'm usually more interested in the OT era as well, whether it be post-ROTJ or the period between ROTS and ANH.  That's not saying they couldn't make cool stuff from other eras too (and I'd see any of it), as I know stuff like KOTOR/etc. has its fanbase as well.

One thing I've been thinking about is that it would be nice to have more "suspense" to SW movies as well.  You think about anything we've gotten since the OT, whether it be the prequels or the current CW series, we always knew the "end game".  Sure, at times it has been a blast getting there, but in the end we always knew what was going to happen to the major players for the most part (one notable exception being Ahsoka now I guess).  I know it would likely take some treading on EU stories wherever the movies would be set, but it would be cool to see something post-ROTJ, even if it only involved some of the major players from the OT making cameos here or there.  I doubt you could get Ford on board, but possibly someone like Mark Hamill, Billy Dee Williams, etc. could play a part.  Heck, they've come a long way with that "de-aging" stuff in movies (like used on Patrick Stewart in X-Men or Jeff Bridges in the upcoming Tron: Legacy) so you never know.

Although I really enjoy the current Clone Wars series, and look forward to the live-action series should it ever start - Star Wars has always seemed like it belong on the big screen to me.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2010, 02:45 PM »
I think Lucas is using a play from Steve Job's playbook. Job's will say something is a completely stupid idea and then six months later annouce that exact thing as "Revolutionary!"

Personally, I would like to see a Star Wars movie that has no relationship to the Skywalker family. A story that is completely different with different characters but in the same universe. A KOTOR movie would be great. We need a reboot much the way Star Trek did. Just make the story new.

I also think LFL needs to start making "other" movies. Their track record beyond Indy and SW is pretty bad.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:23 AM »
I also think LFL needs to start making "other" movies. Their track record beyond Indy and SW is pretty bad.

Their recent track record within those two franchises isn't exactly stellar, either.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 04:55 PM »
If they did another trilogy I would want it to be in the distant past or far enough beyond ROTJ that the original heroes could reprise their roles. No more movies or media that take place in a time period "between" other movies. The Clone wars series is boring because you know how everything turns out. There is no sense of urgency and there are no surprises. It's nice to have plot twists like Yoda's death and Darth Vader's reveal, they make the OT special. 

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2011, 10:32 PM »
I always thought he would make another trilogy to be honest.  There is too much money to be had by making movies.  I expect another around 2018-2020.  It would not surprise me at all.  I think it will either be something way, way, way before or after the whole Skywalker saga.  Although a young Yoda sounds kind of fun IMO. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 9, 2011, 02:15 PM »
I always thought he would make another trilogy to be honest.  There is too much money to be had by making movies. 

Yup, and that concerns me.  I think I'd like to see another trilogy in the SW universe but I'm worried it'll end up being a commercial rather than an artistic venture.  While I readily admit I enjoyed the PT in the theaters that's as much due to being a SW geek as anything else.  Upon reflection the movies are somewhat disappointing  but that's ok, it was somewhat inevitable.  What's more irksome is the clear drive that marketing had behind influencing aspects of the movie - hence the rainbow colored clones and that's now just annoying.  I honestly can't see a resolution of going from dayglo to basic white from OT to PT but I suppose that's a pet peeve now. 

If they could turn this over to someone other than Lucas and start anew, whether it's one of the EU storylines or something new then I'd be more supportive.  I'm quite confident I'd see the movies anyway but I agree with Master_Phruby in that they need to reboot in some sense.  Maybe not exactly like Trek did because new characters would be welcome and I'd hate to see them copy that format exactly with new actors in place of the old to tell roughly the same story.  But if they brought in new actors in the classic roles (Han, Leia, Luke, etc.) to tell something like the post-ROTJ era (without frikkin' ewoks) and didn't just use it as a commercial for special effects and to sell toys, then yeah, I'm ok there.  Plot, subtlety and all that other wacky stuff from the first trilogy is most welcome.  Forced, tedious romance with a plethora of colored toys not so much.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: February 9, 2011, 04:18 PM »
I honestly can't see a resolution of going from dayglo to basic white from OT to PT but I suppose that's a pet peeve now.

This was actually something I didn't really mind, only because I always tied it to the notion that the Jedi treated the Clones like people, and wanted them to have pride in themselves and what they did...  The Republic treated them like cannon fodder, and nothing more than a tool to win the war without their ***** asses having to do any of the dirty work.  Kind of like the poor getting drafted and sent to war in history while the more well-off enjoy the benefits, just more sci-fi.

So the Jedi sort of feel bad for the clones being used as pack animals, and bring out that sense of individuality.  Pride in your unit by decorating their armor, pride in themselves with actual names instead of alpha-numeric designations. 

And the Empire then wipes that all clean pretty much (except in some ****** EU) and makes the soldiers back into faceless obedience, there to do a job and nothing more. 

That's just how I always looked at it, even before any expansion material latched onto it Brent.  Just my personal opinion.  I thought it sort of tied the Jedi and CLones even more tightly together, and made their ultimate betrayal a little more dramatic to me.

On the other subject...

A new trilogy using new actors in a new setting?  I'm cool with that.  Not seeing Carrie Fisher and Mark Hammil anywhere near it though. ;D  A reboot ala Star Trek?  That's an interesting concept.  I think any of its success (critical anyway, since financial seems guaranteed for the Star Wars brand) depends on how deep a certain individual's digits are burried into it.  I just don't have faith in his ability to consistantly wow his fans like he did in the 70's and 80's.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 3, 2011, 11:07 AM »
Hopefully LFL does not make any more SW movies.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 08:50 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/20/empire-strikes-back-screenwriter-may-return-for-star-wars-episodes-viii-and-ix

Sounds like Lawrence Kasdan (Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark) is being brought on board to write Episode 8 or 9 (unclear which at this point) alongside Simon Kingberg (X-Men: First Class).  Kind of excited to see Kasdan attached to Star Wars again.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:51 PM by Brian »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 09:25 PM »
that's good news if true. :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 11:05 PM »
**** YES.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 02:37 PM »
http://www.newsarama.com/film/kasdan-kinberg-expanding-star-wars.html

New rumors that Kasdan and Kinberg may be working towards expanding the Star Wars universe, beyond this next sequel trilogy.  I've read this news at a couple of different sites, and it mentioned that it doesn't mean they won't be working on the ST as well, but that they might be brought on to look to expanding outside to other corners of the SW universe, and moving the release schedule for SW movies up to 2-3 a year, like the current Marvel movie model.  Just rumors, once again....

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Wow...  I mean, holy ****, imagine the toy push with that many films.

Boba Fett movies anyone?

Anyone could basically make his character more interesting than Lucas did since he had him offed like a pud.

I want a Bossk film.  Hell, make it like the Bounty Hunter avengers.  Bossk, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, IG-88, Dengar, and Boba.  :-*  I'd almost dig seeing that.