Author Topic: Batman - The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 47525 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Batman - The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I ended up seeing it on Saturday.....kept eyeing the emergency exit doors though (seriously)  Some things didn't make sense, but whatever.  Glad they left it open at the end for whoever to start it back up again.  The first two movies were on later that day on Spike or TNT so ended up seeing the trilogy all out of order, but that was okay.

Oh - and there was a couple behind me that brought their 3year old daughter... Really? Why?  The guy kept telling her to shut the **** up throughout the movie...didn't think that was cool, but not my kid.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:57 AM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Oh - and there was a couple behind me that brought their 3year old daughter... Really? Why?  The guy kept telling her to shut the **** up throughout the movie...didn't think that was cool, but not my kid.

People are idiots.  My kids won't be seeing movies like this until they are weill into the teens, and even then it won't be @ the theater.  The public wants to blame video games on desensitizing kids today...how about 3 year olds watching crap like this?  I swear, crap like that should be reported to social services.  That's a serious lapse in parental judgement.

As for the movie itself, I'm net seeing it until Friday, but somewhat dispmayed by the intial reports on here.  At the end of the day, it's just an action flick and shouldn't be taken too seriously.  That said, I'm will Bill in getting frustrated with movies that don't take the time to follow the laws of physics.  If there's a bomb counting down from 60 seconds, don't show me 5 minutes of material on how they stop it.  Just make the bomb count down from 5 minutes!  Or pad your estimates and make it 10 minutes.  That's just lazy and poorly thought through.  I'm fine with aliens and weird powers and technology I don't understand, but mistakes like this do really annoy me.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2012, 12:07 PM »
If there's a bomb counting down from 60 seconds, don't show me 5 minutes of material on how they stop it.  Just make the bomb count down from 5 minutes! 

I always thought about this with the Death Star closing down on Yavin.  Why didn't George ever fix that?  (To suspend the disbelief:  the SW universe has a different concept of time.)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2012, 12:11 PM »
There's a suspension of disbelief threshold that this movie crashed through.  Like I said, I could tolerate the bomb countdown, to the second, of an unstable fusion reactor.  I could tolerate the pretend vehicles and weapons.  But when they not only bend but shatter basic physics... that's where you lose me.  People may as well have been walking on the ceiling for as badly as they botched things with this movie.

Basic Batman cannon.  One of his powers is to delay the detonation of any explosive for his convenience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4v1hAnfy1I&feature=youtu.be
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2012, 11:27 PM »
The bomb countdown didn't bother me at all.  They way I see it is that many things are happening during that 90 seconds.  All the events are taking place at the same time, therefore time, in cinematic terms, is extended.  It's one of the most amazing things about films.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline MattCBR

• Youngling
  • on FB as MattCBR
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2012, 11:31 PM »
Most action movies defy the laws of physics... lol, the show mythbusters makes a living off that.

Of all people, star wars fans shouldn't have trouble with batman. History chanel did a whole show on Star wars technology and some things are plausible like speeder bikes... and others are completely impossible like light sabers and the Death Star's Gun that can have multiple laser beams (or whatever) shoot towards each other, change direction when they meet and form one solid beam to explode an entire planet (also unlikely).

But I agree, when movies stick to the confines of reality they're usually better:)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2012, 08:11 AM »
The bomb countdown didn't bother me at all.  They way I see it is that many things are happening during that 90 seconds.  All the events are taking place at the same time, therefore time, in cinematic terms, is extended.  It's one of the most amazing things about films.

I'm not talking about how real time passed in the film.  I'm talking about Batman saying "we have nine minutes left, lets direct the bomb truck towards the reactor so we can defuse it" when said task could not possibly be accomplished in 9 minutes.  And I'm talking about when there's 90 seconds on the clock, hooking it up to the Batwing and flying it more than 6 miles off the coast when no vehicle in existence could accomplish such a feat.  Nolan wanted the artificial tension generated by a countdown but failed to make that countdown credible.  That's a big failure in writing, IMO.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2012, 09:00 PM »
And I'm talking about when there's 90 seconds on the clock, hooking it up to the Batwing and flying it more than 6 miles off the coast when no vehicle in existence could accomplish such a feat.  Nolan wanted the artificial tension generated by a countdown but failed to make that countdown credible.  That's a big failure in writing, IMO.

You're wasting your breath.  We don't have nuclear fusion either, but that was a core component of the movie.  So the Batwing / copter is unnaturally fast in terms of how far it went, so maybe Nolan should have had him take off at 150 seconds instead... I just don't see how it's THAT big of a leap to have to make.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2012, 09:15 PM »
Saw it this weekend, and I really enjoyed it.  A nice ending to the trilogy I thought, and an exciting watch.  The last 45 minutes or so in particular were really exciting I thought, with the combination of action, music, etc.  I can understand people's problems with some of what happened, logic-wise, but I guess to me that's just part of comic book movies.  The majority of this stuff shouldn't be possible, but it just "is".  I do understand the annoyance with not just giving them more time, which would make it more plausible, that always bugs me too.

From what I've been reading online, it seems like a lot of places are saying there is a "mixed" reaction to this, but it seems to be hovering around 87-93% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes, so I'm not sure where it is coming from for sure.  I'd like to see if a couple more times, and will definitely grab the blu ray, but after first viewing I thought it was very good - but not my favorite of the trilogy.  Dark Knight is of course amazing, but Batman Begins I think often comes off very under rated, and may be my favorite of the saga in many ways.

Ok, SPOILERS.....Although I can see that he's earned it, it seems like Nolan is able to "get away" with more with a lot of fans too.  The "Robin" nod at the end was kind of cool to me, as a fan of Dick Grayson (and I thought Joseph Gordon Levitt was good int he movie), but if another director and/or franchise had done this I think people would be raining down on them.  Sort of/kind of having a Robin - but not having the traditional name and/or origin - those types of things seem to usually get the fanbase all riled up.  People don't seem to have much problem with the way Nolan did things though.  Not that I'm complaining, just something I noticed.

Although this movie just came out, I am curious to see where the Bat franchise goes from here.  They sort of left this open to continue, but pretty much everyone involved in this trilogy has been stating over and over that this is it for them, absolutely (Nolan in particular).  I know a restart (reboot?) has been mentioned before too, and I can't imagine WB letting Batman sit on the sidelines for too long (especially with only Man of Steel on the radar for the foreseeable future).  With a trilogy so strong like this one is, I don't envy the next group to come into the character.  I've said it before, but honestly my favorite Batman (and Bat universe) is probably Batman: The Animated Series.  I wouldn't mind a franchise that took the material seriously, but still allowed for things like Robin, possibly Batgirl, or even some of the more fantastic villains Batman has (Clayface, Freeze, etc.)  I don't want anything like the Batman Forever/Batman and Robin films, but something with more of a tone like B:TAS would be great too.  Of course, if Nolan for some reason changed his mind and decided to make more, that would be fine too. :)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Part of me wishes that they would put the Frank Miller version on the big screen, which to me is the ultimate Batman story, but then part of me hopes they won't because they would just screw it up by changing a lot of stuff. Nolan's version doesn't leave much breathing room for an even darker interpretation either.

My mon Bats don't shiv.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2012, 11:34 PM »
Saw it tonight, enjoyed it.  I liked Bane a lot but the complaints about the voice were warranted

Why did Catwoman blow the cars out of the tunnel?
What was the purpose of having the orphans alerting citizens of evacuating?
How did go from broad daylight to dead of night after the stock market scene?

I don't care...it was worth the price of admission to me and these days that's all that counts.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2012, 10:02 AM »
Saw on the news that Christian Bale was cool enough to go see the victims and their families in Aurora. 

K you can move that to the Pit if that's too political or insensitive.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline MattCBR

• Youngling
  • on FB as MattCBR
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2012, 12:12 AM »
Saw on the news that Christian Bale was cool enough to go see the victims and their families in Aurora. 

K you can move that to the Pit if that's too political or insensitive.

I thought it was nice, I think the directors or whatever are going to give a substantial donation to the victims... I think my comment about wishing someone with a permit to carry was in the movie to shoot back was more political lol ;D

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 2, 2012, 09:08 AM »
I finally saw this on Monday and thought it was great.  Yeah, there are a few odd plot choices, but they didnt really distract from the heart of the movie.  I liked the JGL character...nice setup even if they dont make a sequel.  Nolan did a great job of wrapping up loose ends and tying a bow on the whole trilogy.

The only thing I really didnt like was that 8 years had passed in the story.  Bruce is getting pretty old...and that's a long time for things to go unresolved.  I think they could have gone with 2-3 years and made the same story.  Minor detail, but the only one that stuck in my craw.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2012, 09:09 AM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 3, 2012, 03:49 PM »

The only thing I really didnt like was that 8 years had passed in the story.  Bruce is getting pretty old...and that's a long time for things to go unresolved.  I think they could have gone with 2-3 years and made the same story.  Minor detail, but the only one that stuck in my craw.

But then Bruce would not have been Batman long enough for Blake to have seen him as a kid and be as old as he was.