Author Topic: San Diego Comic-con 2012  (Read 20491 times)

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
Re: San Diego Comic-con 2012
« Reply #30 on: July 3, 2012, 11:25 PM »
San Diego mayor has approved a large expansion of the convention center to reach out to SDCC and keep them here. The surrounding hotels are now hosting smaller events and panels at their meeting/ball rooms. It has grown way out of hand and it is not as fun anymore, or I'm getting old and wish ( Like my wife) that it could be like when we fist met 22 years ago. The con was one of the firs places we went to as a couple 22 years ago and we never miss it.
He's no good to me open

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 3, 2012, 11:44 PM »
I went to my first SDCC in 2007.  It was amazing in terms of how much was there, and the scope.  There were more people there than at any of the Star Wars Celebrations I had ever been to, and those shows are big.  I went back to SDCC 2 years later in 2009, and WHOA.  It just turned into this huge Hollywood extravaganza.  EVERY major movie studio with a comic or fantasy title on the way was there in a big way.  The original spirit of the con has turned into something else, and has definitely been co-opted by Hollywood into one of the biggest promotional events of every year.

The attendance in '09 was out of control!  One cab drive I spoke with said that the estimates on the number of people in town for SDCC was in the neighborhood of 200,000.  Walking the floor bordered on scary at times because it was simply a crush of people.  And good luck getting into some panels.

As for the facilities?  The San Diego convention center is really big.  But is it THAT big?  It's been a point of contention for several years now that SDCC has outgrown San Diego itself.  Especially with cities like Las Vegas hoping to lure Comic Con away.  Vegas definitely has far more to offer Comic Con attendees in terms of accomodations.  It's definitely an attractive option since both times that I went to the con I had to stay about 20 minutes outside of San Diego proper.  And that's a major consideration for a lot of people who attend Comic Con.  Las Vegas's convention center has monorail & bus service to and from most of the major hotels.  And Las Vegas also has a much bigger convention center than San Diego. 

These attempts by San Diego to expand the convention center really do seem like a stop-gap measure to hold onto Comic Con.  And how can the city REALLY hope to increase the number of hotel rooms in the downtown San Diego area?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 5, 2012, 07:58 PM »
I just wish they had parking. My son and I will be there thursday morning in hope for a parking space. I'm not there for a panel. I'm there for the exhibits and the meet and greets with costumed fans. My five year old will love to meet Batman and Ironman.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #33 on: July 6, 2012, 08:54 PM »
There is plenty of parking and the shuttle service is fast. Park on pacific coast highway on the corner of Broadway and the parking is cheaper, the bus is right in front of the lot, It takes about five minutes to get to the convention center and they drop you off in front. Send me a PM that week and i can tell you where the best parking is.
He's no good to me open

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 09:22 PM »
First score GG Blue snag at 6:03 on preview night and I'm not even there. Be there Thursday in a Tusken costume if anyone else will be there look around for a E1 Tusken with a sniper rifle.
He's no good to me open

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 11:18 PM »
Have a good time Solrac!  Good score on snags.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56 PM »
I'll see you all there tomorrow.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2012, 02:58 AM »
Sorry guys I forgot to post this.I got this at SDCC.

10% off your next ONLINE order @ Hasbrotoyshop.com

enter promo code: COMIC2012 

code expires on 7/31/2012 at 11:59 PM(ET).
He's no good to me open