Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556360 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1215 on: February 13, 2014, 01:04 PM »
I actually like the show.

I wouldn't believe it if you weren't saying it.
Anyway, it's a thread on the internet where you can type what you want. I need to accept that.
One last thought, what shows and movies are you watching where it's less obvious who is and isn't going to die in each episode? Because I haven't seen them.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1216 on: February 13, 2014, 01:05 PM »
Rick dead doesn't make the show more interesting in my opinion.

It would be a hell of a lot more interesting because it's the hard choice and forces the writers to really keep a drama series fresh.

I'd compare it to Boardwalk Empire.  SPOILERS to follow...

In that HBO show, one season the writers sort of wrote themselves into a corner with a big beef between two main characters, Nucky and Jimmy.  The easy way out would be for them to somehow magically forget the deeds of the past season, work out a deal and keep both popular characters.  But... they didn't and one of them killed the other.  The show lost a very important, very main character.

One last thought, what shows and movies are you watching where it's less obvious who is and isn't going to die in each episode? Because I haven't seen them.

Second example, Game of Thrones.  SPOILERS to follow...

EVERYONE that I know who has watched that show is totally blown away by the death of a main character towards the end of season one.  Killing Rick would be almost exactly like killing Ned Stark (the main character of Season One).  Right now this is the #1 show where anyone can die at anytime it seems.

Maybe Kirkman has said it's "Rick's Story", but he's also said the TV show and comic are two different things...  killing Rick and letting the TV show focus on Carl (yuck) or Daryl (yay) would immediately up the ante for a new perspective as well as making you wonder if someday Carl/Daryl would be killed to make way for Michone or Tyrese or whoever to take a turn...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:09 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 13, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Rick dead doesn't make the show more interesting in my opinion.

It would be a hell of a lot more interesting because it's the hard choice and forces the writers to really keep a drama series fresh.

In your opinion. Just like mine is an opinion. Killing off main characters just for that reason isn't good enough to me. Plenty of "fresh" going on for me. Game of Thrones may be more anyone can die, doesn't make WD obvious.

EDIT- I didn't state that as meant. Killing off a main character does keep things fresh, but it doesn't mean you do it just because that is the case.

P.S. I think WD has killed off so many main characters they run the risk of not having enough time do develop the "newer" characters and that would not make for interesting TV. I can watch a bad zombie movie for that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:31 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 13, 2014, 01:31 PM »
You had to pull me back in Jeff.  ;)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1219 on: February 13, 2014, 01:33 PM »
"On AMC's The Walking Dead, anyone can die at any time! Except Rick, because it's his story, and except Daryl, because he's the bad-boy that the ladies love, and Michonne, too, 'cause she looks cool with her sword and whatnot. And probably Maggie, 'cause she's the only hot piece of ass on the show. Everyone else is fair game!"
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 13, 2014, 01:45 PM »
I believe any of the others could die. And sure some of them will. The beauty is I don't know who or when. Good show.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1221 on: February 13, 2014, 02:00 PM »
and True Detective (now there's a show that should be talked about more.  The last six minutes of last weeks episode was ******* nuts).

That was one ridiculously intense sequence.  Very gritty.  You could feel it spiral out of control.

I also really liked how even a decade later the two guys matched their stories about the time off to visit his dad.  Even though they don't seem to like each other much they're both loyal (and smart).
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1222 on: February 13, 2014, 02:39 PM »
I'm ok with Rick being the show's focus and staying alive.  I'm equally ok with everyone else dying at some point, which I think they pretty much all will.

I think TWD's one of the best shows on television myself...  The Carl episode last week was a direct story from the comics I guess, and I liked what it did with his character since his character's direction is changing a lot now.  Kirkman's tried to backtrack on Rick being fair game too, but that won't happen I don't think, but I'm fine with that.  I like having him as a focal point so everyone else is just part of the pile underneath him, kind of.  At least that's how I view it anyway.

Game of Thrones is probably the best show on TV to me though.  Just a hair above TWD.  GoT just mind-f's you weekly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 13, 2014, 03:30 PM »
So TWD isn't willing to kill off popular characters?  T-DOG? Shane? Andrea?  Hell, Andrea is my favorite character in the comics.  I would not be surprised to see Daryl or Michonne killed off at some point just to shock people,  but I disagree with the notion that killing off characters makes a better story.  If you have super popular and interesting characters, writing them out of the show means you're focusing the show on less interesting characters by definition.  I would much rather watch chick with a katana and dude with with a crossbow than the endearing travels of father and son Grimes. 

SPOILER FROM THE COMICS
Kirkland did kill off Glenn brutally in the comics and the backlash was insane.  People were incredibly pissed that a long standing favorite was gone.  It advanced the story in another direction and changed Maggie, but I think the story has suffered more from it than its benefited.  Maggie's less interesting,  Rick doesn't have his confidant/friend, and the new characters filling the space just aren't as interesting.  Shocking? Yes. But not a better or improved story IMO.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:42 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1224 on: February 13, 2014, 03:59 PM »
"On AMC's The Walking Dead, anyone can die at any time! Except Rick, because it's his story, and except Daryl, because he's the bad-boy that the ladies love, and Michonne, too, 'cause she looks cool with her sword and whatnot. And probably Maggie, 'cause she's the only hot piece of ass on the show. Everyone else is fair game!"

Just an aside.  If you read the comics, although it is Rick's story...he's been through a hell of a lot of ****!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 13, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Just an aside.  If you read the comics, although it is Rick's story...he's been through a hell of a lot of ****!

Yeah, Rick's lost more physically and emotionally than any character from any story that I can think of.  Despite still being alive, he is definitely Kirkman's punching bag. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 13, 2014, 07:19 PM »
So TWD isn't willing to kill off popular characters?  T-DOG? Shane? Andrea? 

Those are the examples you give?  TV show Andrea absolutely sucked compared to comic Andrea (my favorite comic character BTW).  T-Dog?  There were times he didn't say literally one word during an episode.  Shane I might give you, but he was becoming emotionally unstable at the end because Lori wouldn't **** him anymore.  And he lasted a hell of a lot longer than comic Shane ever did.

I would have said Dale (I was shocked by the brutality of that death) or Hershel.  Two characters, who for the most part, most people seemed to like.  I don't think I've seen anyone whose favorite character was T-Dog or Andrea.  In fact, other than Carl, I think Andrea might have been one of the most hated characters on the show.

Kill off Daryl, Rick or Michonne.  That'll get people talking.

And by the way, I like this show.  I wouldn't be reading this thread if I didn't.  I just don't think it's the end all be all of great TV.  I liken Walking Dead to Sons of Anarchy.  I like SoA but those characters do stupid **** and the writing sucks compared to Justified or previously The Shield.  If I don't like a show, I don't watch.  I gave up on Agents of Shield because I thought it sucked and this is coming from someone who loves every single one of Marvel's cinematic movies (even IM2)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 13, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Lori and Dale were the only two big deaths on the show that I found shocking and unexpected. The writing was on the wall for Shane, Merle, Andrea, Herschel and The Governor so I wasn't surprised when they bit the dust. As much as I enjoy Daryl and Rick, seeing one of them get ambushed and eaten by walkers would really kick things up a notch.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 13, 2014, 09:22 PM »

Kill off Daryl, Rick or Michonne.  That'll get people talking.

I don't look at ratings, but I don't think TWD is doing too bad in the ratings to need to "get people talking". People will also talk if the zombies all revert back to regular humans. Doesn't make it the way to go.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 13, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Lori and Dale were the only two big deaths on the show that I found shocking and unexpected. The writing was on the wall for Shane, Merle, Andrea, Herschel and The Governor so I wasn't surprised when they bit the dust. As much as I enjoy Daryl and Rick, seeing one of them get ambushed and eaten by walkers would really kick things up a notch.

Part of why we all saw those deaths coming is because TWD kills off main characters. Not because it was just so expected and the easy thing to do.

I can't wrap my head around the only way to make this show good is to kill off Rick, Michone, or Daryl. I know that isn't exactly what is being said, but close enough. I hope Michone or Daryl goes, but not for a while. I just want to know it could happen. Don't do it for the sake of doing it.

I wonder how many people are hoping Rick, Michone, or Daryl will die. It's not always about shock value.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:38 PM by GrandMoffNick »