Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556349 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #30 on: November 9, 2010, 10:49 PM »
I think it's easy to follow...  Zombie stuff's not ever that complex IMO, but you're more focused on the humanity of it for sure.  That's more the thing to pay attention to, and the zombies are just the situation.

With how much they have to work with (as far as time), this should be "...of the dead" type movies on steroids because they have a lot more time to work with.  It's like watching one of those films and seeing a lot more detail you always wanted to see.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Just saw this was already picked up for a second season, which is surprising and great. I figured it would just be a one-and-done miniseries.

Mikey - I've been trying to catch up with the comic storylines - have you read them all?

I have questions but I guess I can't post them without providing inadvertant spoilers.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 10:52 AM »

Mikey - I've been trying to catch up with the comic storylines - have you read them all?

All of them up to and including volume 12 of the TPBs.  Volume 13 gets released in a couple of weeks.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Man, this show is awesome. Like a mini Zombie movie every week.

I loved how the redneck got his dues for the beating he put on earlier in the episode.

I want to see Rick in more danger though. Not enough for me yet.

I haven't read the comic and won't. I don't want to be spoiled by it. I'd rather enjoy the episodes as they come out.

I can't wait to see more though.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 03:24 PM »
The show doesn't follow the comic at this point.  Same ideas, same plot points, same beats, but in very different order.  The show is fine, but I'm oddly bored by it.  Don't know why. But I'l stick wth it.  I found the comic kind of crummy.  Over written and cliche.  But I like anything that post-apocolyptic.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Just got my Comcast installed last night.  While the installation sucked and the tool installer didn't bring my HD-DVR box, he did, for the moment, install an HD box.  Jerk lied to me and said it wasn't on the order, after he left I called Comcast about another issue, and asked about the box and they said it was indeed clearly on the order.  The installer was one of those guys you can tell was a liar from the get go...

Anyway, at that time I was able to find that the series is indeed in the On Demand section.  I think they are putting the new episodes on there within a day of them being released.  I did watch the little 9 min motion comic they had on there - and I will get to watch the episodes soon when I get the time.   ;D

lookig forward to them based on what the majority is saying here.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 03:43 PM »

Second, I hate to get on a high horse, no pun intended, but did they really have to make the wife such a callow b*tch? First, you cruise out of town with your kid but don't even stop by the hospital to pick up your injured husband, and worse you start banging his best friend after what, 2 weeks? Wow, don't let any moss grow on that thing lady.

It sort of turns the whole thing into an absurd farce, like some twisted play on the Odyssey, where the husband defies all manner of obstacles to reunite with his "loyal wife" only to find she started nailing his best friend 5 minutes after he was out of the picture.  ::) Not exactly epic.

About now I am just hoping she and her dumbass lover get ripped apart and eaten, leaving the kid and hid Dad to ride off into the sunset.

More zombies, less love triangle...

I thought the same thing.  I just finished watching it ON Demand and thought it was well done - until it took a sharp turn with the scene with his cheating wife and best friend.  I thought it was totally pedestrian and uncalled for.  Throw them to the zombies, I say..... ::)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 06:15 PM »

Second, I hate to get on a high horse, no pun intended, but did they really have to make the wife such a callow b*tch? First, you cruise out of town with your kid but don't even stop by the hospital to pick up your injured husband, and worse you start banging his best friend after what, 2 weeks? Wow, don't let any moss grow on that thing lady.

After watching the 2nd episode last night, it seems like maybe they were banging each other well before the viral outbreak (if that is what this is considered) began.  Possible she felt some remorse and decency and wanted to get her husband from the hospital - but lover boy gave her a laundry list of why that wouldn't be a smart idea.  Might be that it is classic foreshadowing, but I wish they would just stick to the "average good guy is trying to get back to his average wife" story line.  I think the other stories are more than compelling to keep people interested.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Good point Tracy, I had thought that too, would kinda make sense in light of the conversation Rick and Shane had in their patrol car at the beginning of Ep 1. But in a way that's even worse, because that conversation clearly portrays him as somewhat of a dick (Shane that is). Plus then it's just straight out adultery, not even framed by the whole "end of world my husband's in a coma" type rationalizations.

More to the point though, it IS distracting and hits a false note somehow.

Well hopefully it all goes away after tonight since it looks like they'll finally reunite.

Bring on The Governor!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Ugh, what a snoozer! I knew when it got to be 10:43pm and they hadn't even left for Atlanta, it was going to be a wasted episode. For a show about zombies, it might be good to actually feature some, you know, ZOMBIES.  ::)

I do give the writers props for adding some depth and shading to the characters. You kinda came away with a different take on Shane and the Wife. Gotta admit, I find it hard to dislike any guy who dishes out a savage beating like that on such an unrepentant a-hole.

Other thoughts/ observations:

HTF did Merle get down off the roof if the door was still chained?

Where were all the zombies when they were sneaking back to the dept store? They only saw 1? The place was swarming the previous day...you'd think there would still be plenty of them lumbering around. Were they all at the movies?

Maybe it's just me, but even if it's the end of the world and the living dead are running amuck, I am not having sex with my wife while my kid is in the same tent. ICK!!!

Next week's episode looks a lot more exciting...

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 12:08 PM »
I have now watched all three episodes and I have really enjoyed each one.

I missed the scenes from the next (4th) episode, so I have no clue wwhat they showed.  If I were to take a blind guess at where did Merle (if that was his name) go I would guess the ventillation ducts or something to that matter on the top of the building.

As to where did all the zombies go?  I would also guess that they are headed to the hills to find food elsewhere just like the one eating the dear did.  Again, I didn't see the previews for the next one, but I would say it is pretty obvious that they are not going to be able to stay hidden in the hills for ever.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 01:40 PM »
I watched the mini marathon they had on last night to get caught up on this series.

Generally, it's not bad.  But a few things stood out that I didn't care for;

We're three episodes into the series and nobody has really told Rick how this infection got started and spread.  We don't know how long he was in the hospital and he doesn't seem to even care.  He just buys into the fact this is his new reality.

On that same topic, Rick was in a coma, or whatever, for some period of time while this infection is spreading.  The hospital is evacuated, or everyone makes a run for it (being chased by zombies, I assume), and one guy left alone in an open bed, not even some type of quarantine area, doesn't arbitrarily get eaten?  Or infected when his immune system had to have been somewhat compromised by his being shot?

Rick goes to Atlanta, a city with a population of over 5 million, and of all the possible people he finds he hooks up with those that are with his wife?  On the first try?  And of those 20 or so people he gets two racist rednecks and a wife beater?  What kind of ****** odds are those.

Don't get bitten or scratched.  That's kind of a standard for Zombie movies, but it's okay to soak yourself in the entrails of a zombie?  Or in the new episode, Daryl was wiping off arrows that he used to kill a zombie on his own pant leg.  I don't know, but I'd want to be in a containment suit if I was going to handle anything liquid coming out of the zombies.

I'm sure a couple of these questions will get answered going forward, but while the drama of the show is pretty good, it's the little things that had me wondering last night.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 01:53 PM »
How the hell is Merle not dead after hacksawing his hand off?  Ok, we don't know he's not dead but I doubt they're killing him off.  Yeah, I know, he probably put the belt around his wrist (although to actually stem the flow he'd have to have it way further up his arm because the radius and ulna would limit compression to any extreme) as a tourniquet but really, people kill themselves by slashing their wrists, so even with the best of intentions in an extremely stressful situation (dehydrated, being chased by zombies, just hacked off your hand) how long could you really live without serious medical attention? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 04:39 PM »
I've seen deer missing limbs, we had a cat who'd lost a leg on her own at some point (feral, tried taming her, didn't work)...  I've just always assumed it's possible.  He's also sort of from the "survivalist" type mentality with his family it seems.  I can suspend disbelief on him wandering off without a hand and making it.  Maybe he used gator clips to pinch off the veins, like forceps?  :)

I liked the episode...  It was almost all revolving around establishing some background, some updates, and setting up where everyone is and what they're doing, or going to be doing, and who everyone in the camp is.  It had a little zombie action, a bit of tension...  I enjoyed it.

I was curiosu about the Zombies at the store too, but where'd the hillbilly go?  How'd he get out?  The zombies also lose interest and wander off if you have the fortified area they can't get into.  Remember the black family in the first episode.  I'm guessing they staggered out of the store searching for food.

I'm curious if the car attracted the zombie outside the city, or if they are like bears (as was suggested) and just wander out searching for food.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 10:16 PM »
How the hell is Merle not dead after hacksawing his hand off?

I like to think that he had a lighter on him and cauterized his own wound.  That's what I want to see.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."