Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556375 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2010, 02:38 PM »
How the hell is Merle not dead after hacksawing his hand off?

I like to think that he had a lighter on him and cauterized his own wound.  That's what I want to see.

Why the hell didn't he just hack through the (realtively) small chain on the handcuffs instead of his hand?  ???
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Tracy,

Watch the end of Mad Max.  You might find your answer.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2010, 07:12 PM »
Tracy,

Yeah, but he had no time constraints really? Heck, he probably could have sawed through the pipe he was chained to after a few hours.

There was a huge comic convention here today and Walking Dead was everywhere. I was very tempted to pick up a few of the anthologies but they weren't cheap.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2010, 12:38 AM »
Okay, so I just saw the first episode and trying very hard not to read the spoilers on 2-4.  I don't get AMC - anyone know of a good place to catch episodes online?  E1 was kick-butt...great ending!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Okay, so I just saw the first episode and trying very hard not to read the spoilers on 2-4.  I don't get AMC - anyone know of a good place to catch episodes online?  E1 was kick-butt...great ending!

You can watch them all On-Demand for free if your cable system offers that service. HD too.

High hopes for tonight's episode...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2010, 11:59 PM »

You can watch them all On-Demand for free if your cable system offers that service. HD too.

High hopes for tonight's episode...

I don't have On-Demand, but thanks.  Any other ideas?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Hmm, no ideas on other ways to watch, no...sorry. I abhor watching TV on the computer, so sort of at a loss for recommendations. (BTW, stop reading now if you don't want spoilers)

Last night's episode was top notch, maybe the best so far. This is the formula they need to continue to follow: equal amounts of character development/pathos and sweet zombie killing action.

I really liked the subplot with the Vatos, not at all what I was expecting.

Think they are pushing it a little bit with Merle. Get that the dude is born-again hard, but he's not superman. I hope they don't drag that out too long. How did he know they left the van there anyway? Did they just leave the keys in it too?  ::)

I really like the old dude in the Gilligan hat too...he adds a nice bit of depth and color.

So besides the wifebeater and blond girl, who else got killed at the camp? Looked like another woman/girl whom I did not recognize? Anyone catch that?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 11:40 AM »
I enjoyed the episode quite a bit as well but only watched it once so missed a few details I'll pick up through the week as it's rebroadcast. 

Still not buying that Merle could stem the blood flow adequately with his belt while cutting off his hand - he'd of had to crush the bones to stem the flow.  But I'll give the plot guys credit for having him at least cauterize the wound. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Awesome episode.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Tracy,

Yeah, but he had no time constraints really? Heck, he probably could have sawed through the pipe he was chained to after a few hours.

I haven't seen any of this series yet, so I don't know the context.  Just seemed like a plausible answer.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2010, 12:57 AM »
But I'll give the plot guys credit for having him at least cauterize the wound. 

Credit also due to the guy in reply #45 who first mentioned cauterizing, even if he did get the method wrong.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2010, 02:28 AM »
Tracy,

Someone, and now I forget who, said the saw's blade was too dull to cut well so he cut his hand off due to that...  Merle did have the time constraint of drinking something too, which I'm sure in the Atlanta heat on a high-rise rooftop probably was not going well.

I think maybe his brother said about the blade being dull...  I was doing metal work this past weekend, and dull blades won't cut much.  Cop handcuffs are, I think, pretty strong too.  The pipe would actually probably have been weaker metal but obviously a lot thicker to cut through...  probably balances out.

What I don't get is how he got inside/downstairs in geek-fest 2010. 

I'm sticking with the, "animals can lose a limb and live", theory...  I had a cat that happened to, one I still have that had its leg half-ripped-off for a day + and we had to have it amputated for it.  I've seen even deer missing a leg.  I suppose it's possible.  Agreed though that they took the above advice on the wound being sealed up.

It's kind of amazing what adrenaline can do for people's longevity I guess.  What I find odd though is how the episode ended, but where's Merle at?  No way he couldn't beat them to the camp, if he's driving, so what's up with that then?

I found the Zombie attack at the end kind of weird too...  So they wandered out in one big pack, to the camp?  Huh?  And they didn't get tangled in any of the traps the people had for them (they had tin can traps and other things set up in the trees).  I also couldn't gather who got chewed up and who didn't too.  I saw people getting chewed up that nobody seemed to really care about afterwards.  That was odd.

And man, if you're going for that big bag of guns, I'd have gone back for that .50 then.  There has to be other military hardware out there too near the tank/checkpoint where the bag was dropped, but if those gang guys really wanted firepower, get the hell back out and get that .50.  It'd be a zombie lawnmower from a strategic, protected position.  It'd f up anyone coming to steal your old people's stuff too.

I'm curious who we'll see come back up in the episode too, and who may just fade off...  Will the black guy and his kid come back?  Will the group link up with the gang and old people?  And the looter/raider thing is almost bound to come back up.

Great series...  REally is fantastic.  I can't wait to see more every week, even though I usually wind up having to wait a little bit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2010, 09:00 AM »
I guess I just figured two arm bones weren't so easy to saw through either - especially at the joint.   :-\
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2010, 03:06 PM »
If you think about it, he really only had to saw his thumb off. The rest could have fit through pretty easily.

Oh, Merle! ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2010, 03:50 PM »
If you think about it, he really only had to saw his thumb off. The rest could have fit through pretty easily.

Oh, Merle! ::)

That's funny. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77