Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556307 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #795 on: March 7, 2013, 10:04 AM »
I didn't like the preview to next week though.  Not one bit.

???

Looked like Rick was standing at the Governor's desk, yelling at Andrea, saying something along the lines of "You told me was willing to talk!"

Why Rick would be at Woodbury at this point and willing to talk to that guy is beyond me.  Guess we'll see.  I hope this particular scenario doesn't play out like in the books.  Rick does end up there, but under very different circumstances, as he's there before the two groups go to war.  I hope what happens to Rick in the books while in Woodbury doesn't happen in the TV series.

It won't. Just as they substituted Maggie for michonne, they substituted Merle for Rick. Very happy about that too.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 7, 2013, 12:35 PM »
How did they substitute Maggie for Michonne?   ???
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 7, 2013, 01:03 PM »
How did they substitute Maggie for Michonne?   ???

Let's just say what almost happened to Maggie actually happens to michonne in the comic. Pretty brutal.

They do this kind of thing quite a bit actually. In the comic for instance, I believe it is dale who loses his leg, not hersel.

Keeps things fresh I guess...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 7, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Oh, THAT.  I had forgotten about that.  Really glad they didn't go that route as well.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 9, 2013, 11:19 AM »

So on to the previews for next week... Anyone think the "shooter" in the preview for next week is Morgan from Season 1?  He's got to come back sometime??
Good call. At first I thought it would be a little too convenient for them to run into him on a supply run - but it makes a lot more sense considering they went back to Rick's ground zero.

Busy week this week... I just now had time to watch this episode. I really liked it, glad I nailed the Morgan call.  :)

Still, I was disappointed that Rick didn't convince him to come back with him. Rick needs another confidant.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 9, 2013, 06:03 PM »
Rick needs another confidant.

Looks like Michonne is going to start filling that void... though I'm curious as to why they haven't had Tyrese start filling that role.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 10, 2013, 11:22 PM »
I try not to use the term filler, but...mostly filler. Cliched hero and villain meet and talk moment. Andrea realizing that she is just a psycho's doormat...which has been obvious to everyone but her.

There's the new manufactured ethical crisis for Rick, that really isn't one. Rick must be joking at the end. He can't be that stupid. He can't say "and then he'd  kill us anyway", then use "but what if" as a rationalization.  I think he switched bodies with Andrea at some point.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #802 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01 AM »
I thought it was a little better than filler...

Surprised he tipped his hand on knowing they came back with weapons, but who's sitting out watching the prison ya know?  He doesn't really have GREAT people like Darryl around that can go out and survive easily?  I found that odd...  Where would they be and how would they survive outside the prison just watching it?

Was shocked the Governor let slip what he did honestly, but I liked the exchange...  It was tense and I thought the episode built up for something to happen, even though basically nothing did.

I liked Darryl getting along with the Woodbury thug I can never recall his name...  Martinez I think?  Sharing something...  Soldiers of sorts, in a ****** world.  Seemed kinda obvious to me that Darryl came out the much more adept killer though.  Anyone can swing a bat...  well, not Milton, I'm sure he swings a bat like that chick at Woodbury shoots a bow, but still anyone can swing a bat and cause damage.  Takes skill for random kill shots and fast reloading a crossbow, not to mention throwing a knife.  Darryl makes it an art.  :D

The Herschel/Milton dynamic was great, and I think it really made him look at the Prison group with a new set of eyes...  I think it's changing how he looks at Andrea too.

The obvious Andrea story...  wah I'm a hoe, blah blah blah.

I liked the episode...  Kept thinking someone was in the rafters.  Half expected Carl to be there with a gun the whole time on the Governor since I didn't see him at the prison early on.  Wonder where he was?

I dig the "not many people are totally bad" dynamic.  I've enjoyed that about Merl, about Martinez, about some of the prisoners...  most of them even.  Makes you wonder where are, and whatever happened to, the Philly crew?  What all were they like?

Anyway, yeah, other than finding it odd that the prison's under surveilance and how are they accomplishing that really, I thought the episode was pretty great overall...  Wish we'd gotten a good Maggie ass shot like we did with Andrea.  It's all you can hope for with basic cable.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 11, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Damn, Jesse, you stay up late!

I thought it was a really good episode too, if for no other reason than the supporting character interactions. Totally agree this was an eye-opening experience for Milton, and especially Angela. SO GLAD Rick finally tipped her off to the Governor/Maggie incident. Yeah, that's the scumbag you're sleeping with. He makes your ex-boyfriend Shane look like a freaking choirboy. And speaking of Shane, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? She told the Governor about him and Lori?!?! What are you thinking girl? That is some inappropriate pillow-talk.

Martinez/Daryl Walker-Gauntlet and subsequent smoke break was pure awesomeness...definitely humanizing, and I totally agree this is a strength of the writing that even the seeming villains have depth and texture.

Except Phillip of course. Was I the only one rolling my eyes over his story about his poor dead wife? Oh no! She died in an accident? Did she slip on banana peel and hit her head? Fall asleep at the wheel and drive off the road? WAAAAH. You poor broken blubbering idiot. RICK'S WIFE WAS DEVOURED WHOLE BY ZOMBIES YOU JACKASS! Nice try.

What was the point of the gun taped to the table? Just in case? And I know it's silly to have expected Rick to just shoot him on the spot, but how is that more of a stretch for him to try and save his family than handing over Michonne? He's willing to buy into that fantasy but can't just murder the dude on the spot and be done with it?

I hope Hershel comes up with some good arguments to keep Rick from doing something stupid. I'm sick and tired of them alienating all the new people.

If Rick was smart he would have said, ok, I'll think about the Michonne thing, but when we meet, it will be at a time and place of my choosing. I'll let you know where to meet us. Why invite them to set up an ambush?

As noted later on Talking Dead, why are they letting Merle near the guns?!?!

Glad to see Glenn and Maggie worked everything out in the sex-garage though.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 11, 2013, 10:48 AM »
I've really dug the last two episodes, which hopefully bodes well because they were supposedly produced by whoever is taking over as the new head showrunner.

Calling it now: that sex scene was Glenn knocking Maggie up. It went on way too long to not be leading to something, unless the producers were like "hey so teens watch this show, maybe their parents are checking it out with them, here's a sex scene to make things awkward!"

Anyone else catch Governor talk about Rick bringing back a massive amount of guns? Probably has his spies watching the prison...

And as noted too, awesome dialogue between Martinez/Daryl/Herschel/Milton. "Can I see your stump?"

And Beth shooting a gun? Hawt.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 11, 2013, 12:40 PM »
99% filler as this season goes along until the season finale in 3 weeks. It will be hard to match a villain like the Governor hard to believe they will simply just kill him.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 11, 2013, 12:55 PM »
As noted later on Talking Dead, why are they letting Merle near the guns?!?!

Another preventable mini-crisis..., I maintain the episode was filler. The "soldiers" outside battling walkers because, well, we have to have zombie killings.

Sex scene. Meh. Yeah, meh. They neglected their duties to do it. Yay, them. The comic is full of sex, so much so I've never seen people enjoy the destruction of their own civilization so much.  ;)

Again, the whole talk between Rick and the Governor just made Rick look like a fool based on what he said at the end.  this isn't Batman meeting the Joker. It's more like Chief O'Hara meeting the Joker.

Walking Dead filler is still better than most shows on television, though.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 11, 2013, 07:32 PM »
so much so I've never seen people enjoy the destruction of their own civilization so much.  ;)

Have you witnessed the destruction of a lot of civilizations?
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #808 on: March 11, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Shoulda been at Rome at the end, it was a blast...  or so I hear.  Try the orgies!

On Merl & Guns, he was pretty hard assed going out to the gate an episode or two ago...  Clearly a tactical-minded guy and I believe they mentioned he's ex-military.  Assuming a little more time than a day or two has passed between the last few episodes, I am ok with Merl being around the guns...  What are you going to do?  Darryl's not gonna let him be kept in a cage.  Merl's not really going to be up for that either.  You're kind of hamstrung if you lock the guns themselves up because you need to be able to get armed up fast if attacked...  I dunno.

I guess it's just a bad situation and they're trying to integrate Merl into it as best they can.  There's a part of me I really wish they could get him into the group like Michonne to where he's tolerable and not fighting allt he time.  The ****** thing is, people like him are almost a necessity.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 12, 2013, 12:37 AM »
I thought this week's episode was so-so.  Definitely some cool parts and they are moving the story along, but the whole conversation with the Governor was lame IMO.  Rick has to know Phillip is a psychopath liar, so why would a cop of all people trust that he'll leave them alone if they hand over Michonne? 

I really do not like the way they are writing Rick.  He seems to have no morale compass, unlike everyone else around him, and he really doesn't seem all that bright if he's falling for the Governor's BS now.  Its not easy leading the group, but Rick just seems to have failure after failure, which is getting old and makes it hard to cheer for him.

I liked the way everyone else outside the summit seemed to get along.  Just goes to show they could all work together if not for freaky Phillip. 

Definitely think Milton is coming around, especially after next week's preview shots.  Hopefully they wrap up the season with Tyreese and crew, Milton, and Andrea back on the run with the rest of the prison gang.  Doesn't feel like there's enough time left to do that though.

I'm surprised everyone here bought Phillip's story about his wife.  He wants to humanize himself a bit for Rick, but I seriously doubt that's all there is to his wife's death.  He probably sacrificed her to save himself at some point or maybe he killed her when she tried to kill Zombie-Penny.

Maggie/Glenn making up was a nice touch, though I thought for sure there were going to be consequences there like zombies getting through, someone from Woodbury spying, or even a lack of someone to open the gate for Rick and company.  That was a lost opportunity to punish our "heroes."