Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556359 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2010, 05:44 PM »
If you think about it, he really only had to saw his thumb off. The rest could have fit through pretty easily.

Oh, Merle! ::)

He also could have probably dislocated his thumb and got out as well.  Not sure how you'd go about it but if you could fold it over somehow then you could probably slide the cuff over the hand.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2010, 08:31 PM »
If he were really smart, he'd have made his hand as wide as possible and pulled it down as far as possible while the cuffs went on.  But he's apparantly Merle, and Merle only knows three ways to do things.  The right way, the wrong way, and the Merle way...  Merle's way is the wrong way only faster, so he went with that.

And voila.  Hand on the roof.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2010, 08:52 PM »
If he were really smart, he'd have made his hand as wide as possible and pulled it down as far as possible while the cuffs went on. 

Yeah... trained cops love it when you do that.   ;)
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2010, 08:59 PM »
He didn't seem to be paying much attention, actually, with all the mass confusion and fighting. :)  And surprisingly, a lot of trained cops fall for that. 

But he's Merle...  *sigh*  He was just more worried about his meth or whatever he had, and keeping race relations warm and toasty in the U.S., even with zombies.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2010, 11:09 PM »
I'm hoping that AMC does a full marathon of the shows before the finale.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2010, 11:22 PM »
I was thinking they were doing something this weekend, but obviously that's not the full season by any means.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2010, 11:53 PM »
I was thinking they were doing something this weekend, but obviously that's not the full season by any means.

Could be - there are only 6 episodes in the can for season 1.  We won't see an Episode 7 until about a year from now according to Entertainment Weekly. 

I've still had no luck finding episode 2+ online.  I'm going to have to pay Itunes for it methinks.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Is there really only one more episode after last night? Eesh, hope not, this is severely addictive.

Five episodes in now, I think we've established that the best formula for the show is equal measures human interest/zombie killin'. They just need to work on the pacing a little to smooth this out on an episode by episode basis. We've now had 2 episodes that were mostly all talking and very little zombie action. That's a little slow and uneven, IMO. I prefer 30 minutes of the drama and 30 minutes of action, blended appropriately.

That said, even the less action packed episodes are pretty dang riveting, and always filled with at least 2-3 very memorable scenes. Loved the abused woman going to town on her dead husband's skull with the pick axe. Loved the last scene with Jim under the tree. Loved the hat-guy (maybe my favorite character in the show) totally busting Shane locking down on Rick in the woods. (Why the sudden heel turn though? I was just starting to like him again)

Liking the new angle with the CDC guy too. (Wish they had done better with the microscope close-up though, that seemed really cheesy somehow) I wonder if his lament over the lack of fresh tissue samples to study will lead them to try and retrieve Jim's body at some point. Figured dude would be at least a little happy to see other survivors though, guess not so much.

So what's Merle up to? Is he gonna find the note on the red car too?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Loved the hat-guy (maybe my favorite character in the show) totally busting Shane locking down on Rick in the woods. (Why the sudden heel turn though? I was just starting to like him again)

I too didn't like the darker turn that Shane took, but it just goes to show the character is human. He was tempted to eliminate the "problem" that was going to put everyone in danger. I think my ultimate judgement of the character depends on what he would've done had hat-guy not shown up.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2010, 11:29 AM »
He was tempted to eliminate the "problem" that was going to put everyone in danger.

That wasn't the only reason he was tempted to take Rick out.

Hat-Guy's name is Dale, and he's played by Jeffrey DeMunn who's been in all of Frank Darabont's projects.  (Not being an ******* here--I didn't know his name or the character's name, either, so I had to look this **** up, myself.)  Really liked him in Green Mile, and I really like him here, too.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Liking the new angle with the CDC guy too. (Wish they had done better with the microscope close-up though, that seemed really cheesy somehow) I wonder if his lament over the lack of fresh tissue samples to study will lead them to try and retrieve Jim's body at some point. Figured dude would be at least a little happy to see other survivors though, guess not so much.

Well, he's researching and these people with their problems show up, so....another hassle to deal with.

On the other hand, he's near suicide at this point, from frustration or lonliness or whatever. Guess we'll find out next week (or year.)

I don't understand why they weren't picking up assault rifles from the dead army personel. I realize they wanted to be quiet, but come on...

Sucks that it'll be a year before episode 7. That's what stinks about these cable shows. Shorter seasons and longer wait.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2010, 02:42 PM »
One thing we got from the CDC guy, a timeline.  He said in the one recording that it was 193 or 195 (something like that) days since the virus got out and 160-something since it went global.  But, we don't know exactly when he made that recording in relation to our gang showing up.  Still, that's 6 months which is damn fast to wipe out the world.

As for the gang not picking up rifles, that's a huge, tremendously HUGE, pet peeve of mine.  It seems that nearly all movies and TV shows do the same thing.  The hero is walking around with limited weapons and ammo and never picks up the guns lying around.  And when they do, which is rare, the film/show always treats it like a surprise to the audience hoping we'll have that "Oh, ****, he totally owned that bad guy that thought he was all out of ammo and **** by picking up the dead guy's gun and totally using it! ****, that wus ******' awesome." 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2010, 03:46 PM »
I probably need to look more closely, but are there assault rifles just lying around? I've noticed the machine guns (.50 cal on the ground and tank) and vehicles, but nothing smaller. I'm no firearm expert, but I imagine that several months of no usage while exposed to the elements will not do wonders for a weapon. That has been my justification for the survivors not taking the military weapons... though why they wouldn't take the tank is beyond me.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2010, 07:00 PM »
I watched the CDC arrival parts twice, there's a rifle on the sandbags (plus another .50 caliber heavy mg, a heavy item that would take time to move and transport.)

Tanks are slow and use a lot of fuel. Besides, who'd have experience operating one?

But why the "Vatos" in said episode were intent on the bag of guns that'd been there a day but hadn't got the .50 caliber mg from the sandbagged position  that was likely there for weeks is questionable, especially with operational cars and strong guys who could load it up fairly fast.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2010, 09:13 PM »
For those of you, like me, who want to see this show from the beginning.  AMC is re-airing all  episodes before the season finale next week.

My DVR is ready to go!
This is the way.

I have spoken.