Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 557934 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2010, 11:46 PM »
Man, the first half of episode 5 just drug on and on with the melodrama and the weepiness.  "Oh the woman loves her sister so much she stand in vigil over her until she turns so she can say goodbye..."  Gag me.

Though the gore with the husband's head was probably the most disturbing scene of the entire series so far... so there was that.

Overall it wasn't as good as the others, IMO.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2010, 12:40 AM »
On the issue of guns and not picking up guns...

It varies, but military-grade weapons could probably "sit out" a while and still function, and function better than some of what they're carrying around.  Pump shotguns are cool for scattering a room if you've got buckshot, and they're ok with slugs for putting people down fast.  Good weapons to have, but with ammunition being limited then I'd pick up anything I could, to carry around.

On .50's, they're trasnportable if you have about two people.  They've got enough people they could rely on to take one I think, that I'd take one.  Men would be preferrable to do the job though, out of that group anyway.  A .50 with a tripod is almost 130 lbs. I think.  They're incredibly reliable though and I think even sitting out they'd be an ideal zombie mower if you could use them from a secured position.

I don't know about the reliability of an M16 that's sat out in the weather/elements for 6 months, but like I said, anything is better than nothing.  You at least pick it up to clean later, get it functional...  It'd be far superior to a lot of what they're toting in a situation where picking multiple targets quickly and firing at them is really important...  not to mention you maybe can trade them too (The vato's mentioned roving gangs).  I know some AK models can (in some cases anyway) shoot with sand poured through them, wet, etc.  It's part of their popularity.

The current guy with the best weapon is the hillbilly (Merle's brother whose name I forget often).  He's got unlimited ammo if he remembers to go back and pick up his arrow, and he's very skilled with it which isn't all that easy.  It's quiet too, and he seems fairly fast with it.  He's like the Snakeeyes/Stormshadow of Zombie death. :)

As far as driving a tank, Abrams tanks are gas hogs, but they're made fairly simple to drive, actually...  if you could get one started and it had fuel, you'd have something nice to set up near a safe area...  Unrealistic?  Depends on who is in your group.

To me, it's not enough to detract too much from the show, but I would like to see them try to pick up some of the military gear and actually use it.  Grenades, pistols/assault rifles/any small arms...  If you were setting up shop at, say the sherriff's station from the beginning of the show, I'd want a couple of those .50's if you could get some folks together to haul them.

A Humvee would be a dandy ride too...   :-\

BTW, I don't look down on Shane either...  desperate times make people do things purely selfish.  Rick's the hero, and the focal character, but Shane is looking out for everyone too and himself...  Being selfish in that situation would probably be common for many.

I too think they'll maybe go back to grab Jim.  That seemed too easily set-up.

Will we ever see the hispanic family again?  That was depressing.  :'(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2010, 05:07 PM »
While we're on the military angle, the more I think about it, the more implausible it seems that the zombies would have just overrun everything and wiped out all the armed forces. They're slow and stupid, and even in vast numbers completely unorganized and ineffective as a serious fighting force. I mean, right off the bat - they can't climb or swim, at least hardly at all, and while not prone to exhaustion they do get weaker and starve, and utterly lack coordination or sophisticated motor skills. (I know they climbed the stairs in the dept store but I mean like scaling a wall or a fence)

I just think it would be relatively easy to defend against a largely immobile enemy like that. Lay down a heavy suppressing fire, fall back with the flamethrowers and aft incinerators, or whatever the current jargon is, and just let 'er rip. Any kind of fortified compound should be easy to defend I would think.

Now if it were Aliens or Predators - different story.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2010, 07:02 PM »
The zombies in this series are a little weird...  They're slow and plodding, but then they pick up the pace when they're antagonized. 

The military thing seems unlikely to me too, but you figure crowds of civilians being protected, not knowing how to protect yourself....

Look at Jim, he hid his wounds a while.  Imagine if you DON'T know how to defend against the zombies, you don't know that they bite and infect you...  I could see them getting into the compounds and once they're inside a fortified area, the area's compromised and probably the infection spreads fast.

Where's the Navy, is my question.  You'd think islands/naval vessels may be less susceptable to all this.  That there could be islands without any infection and which aren't letting anyone on.

How'd it spread in the first place though?  HOw did people get this?  That's the kind of question I'd like answered.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2010, 09:42 PM »
The military thing doesn't bother me.  All it would take was one wounded dude to go into a base or something, turn zobie, start biting other dudes and then the military is weakened from within.

What bothers me is that the show just hangs around a lot.  I'm not a fan of the comic, but it was set up more as a road story, with locales changing often. I mean, it took them five episode to stop camping.

When I was in high school, my buddies and I were obsessed with Dawn of the Dead, and how we'd survive a zombie infestation. Our solution was to get to this one mall that had a supermarket and a Channel Hardware (remember them?) next to each other.  Grab the food, bring it into the hardware store, then use the tools, wood, pipes, saws and stuff to defend the store.  We even spent an afternnon in the hardware store figuring out our defense stratagies.  Honest.  No wonder we couldn't get dates.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 1, 2010, 09:49 PM »
The US military doesn't use flamethrowers, not since the 60's, probably. I'd assume they'd kill a lot of zombies and do a lot of collatoral destruction in the process, possibly increasing chaos and hastening the end of civilization (I'm thinking of that Riegn of Fire movie where the dragons destroy human civilization).

There's remote enough island where people could survive...Kergulen wouldn't have much to worry about. or St. Helena or Mackinac Island  :P. That's assuming the elements were there for them to survive. Though, it depends on the nature of the contagion. If everyone who dies come back, you gotta know that and take appropriate steps.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: December 1, 2010, 10:17 PM »
I think the military still has flamethrowers to use, they just haven't been seen in use since Vietnam I'd assume.  I assume they have access to something though.

Flamethrowers are good for clearing out a tight-quarters area...  Just spraying and praying with them, they're less effective.

I guess they've been largely replaced by incindiery weapons like the M202 "Flash" (which I'm not real familiar with really, other than it's more a rocket launcher).

I have a feeling traditional throwers are still available in surplus though.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2010, 10:20 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 1, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Apparently all of the writers for the show have been fired...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: December 1, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Wow...  I wonder why though?  It's just taking off.  How can you be so abrupt?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 1, 2010, 10:41 PM »
Wow...  I wonder why though?  It's just taking off.  How can you be so abrupt?

No one bought the cauterizing thing, especially after going down an entire building while already stressed and dehydrated.  Too unrealistic, unlike the concept of zombies taking over the world.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: December 1, 2010, 11:42 PM »
I guess...  no more so than not picking up the weapons though.  Come on?!

Watch the new crew have Merle show up with various power tools and stuff attachable to his stump, like Evil Dead or something similar.  That's when the show goes from, "Holy ****, this is what I expect of the actual zombie apocalypse", to simply silly and unbelievable.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 2, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Apparently all of the writers for the show have been fired...

Link? This is news to me...

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #87 on: December 2, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #88 on: December 2, 2010, 10:51 AM »
I guess...  no more so than not picking up the weapons though.  Come on?!

We're still on that?  Jeez.

They're right there; it's not like they can't go back and get them, ever.  They can do it off-screen, even:  "Hey, Bob, we went ahead and grabbed all the guns off the corpses, just like you suggested."  "Great, thanks."

Besides, the dead military guys' weapons are probably all out of ammo or else they wouldn't be dead military guys in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2010, 10:51 AM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 2, 2010, 01:23 PM »
Wow, nice end-around on the Writer's Guild...I'm sure they will love that.

I would prefer Darabont just write the whole thing and not even bother with freelancers. Better to have 1 guy that is consistent and knows what he is doing than a rotating cast of hired hands just looking for their next paycheck.

Otherwise it'll just end up like some godawful trainwreck like Heroes.