Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556364 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #105 on: October 7, 2011, 12:43 PM »
I'm glad I didn't snag the DVD when it came out, they just released a "super special edition" of some sort

I'll have to try to catch more than 3 episodes this season
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #106 on: October 7, 2011, 12:51 PM »
I'm glad I didn't snag the DVD when it came out, they just released a "super special edition" of some sort

I'll have to try to catch more than 3 episodes this season

Coolness.  Never did catch this show, but I'll be on board.

Season 2 Trailer.

The Walking Dead returns next Sunday (16 October)!  AMC is also showing all of season 1 before the Season 2 premier for anyone who wants to either catch up or has not had the opportunity to see it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 7, 2011, 01:02 PM »
Ya I caught that part.  I wouldn't be "on board" without watching the first season   ;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Was in the presentation last night at NYCC. Looking forward to rest of season 2, although uncertain since they gave Darabont the boot.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Was in the presentation last night at NYCC. Looking forward to rest of season 2, although uncertain since they gave Darabont the boot.

Please tell me they at least had the figures for sale! Those things were supposed to be out by now...I really want to check those out.

Looking forward to the premier, hoping since it's the first episode back and they want to hook in some new viewers they will have a little more action and a little less yakkity-yak.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2011, 05:00 PM »
DVR.  What a wonderful invention.   Hope to be caught up on everything before the next episode.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2011, 05:55 PM »

Please tell me they at least had the figures for sale! Those things were supposed to be out by now...I really want to check those out.

Looking forward to the premier, hoping since it's the first episode back and they want to hook in some new viewers they will have a little more action and a little less yakkity-yak.

Answer is yes all around  ;)
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2011, 09:26 PM »

The figures have been found at TRU stores over the last couple of days.  I spotted some of them on Friday night.  The downside, they're like $20 each.  Complete over pricing going on there.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Yup.  Didn't see that coming at the end. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Awesome episode last night.  I felt like they did a really good job of developing the characters over what was done in Season 1.

I did not see that ending coming at all. It felt like a double cliff hanger ending.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2011, 09:56 AM »
I knew something was going to happen...but was a little shocked.  Who here thought the dead body in the truck Carl opened was going to start moving?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:31 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2011, 10:29 AM »
In retrospect, I think it would have been a little more shocking if they hadn't spoiled it showing Rick running through the field with his wounded son in a promo for the new season that was airing WHILE THE SHOW WAS STILL ON.  ::) I hate it when shows do stuff like that.

But yeah, that was a great season opener, everything I enjoy about that series on display. Good action, quality splatter, strong writing. The blond chick's suicide rant was perfection, really well done. And we finally got The Herd! Hell yes!

Couple of thoughts:

1) Seems the dude on the RV would have noticed the zombies before they got quite THAT close. I mean, they were RIGHT up on them. I have to assume they didn't pass them on the road so I guess they just walked out of the woods.

2) Why weren't any zombies attracted to the sound of the recorded church bells? If that thing was on a timer it must have been going off for weeks. (Why did the church still have power even?)

3) I kinda missed the point of that scene with the older dude and the black guy talking about the "needs of the few" and the "magic radiator hose" or whatever. What was that? What exactly was the older dude implying?

Guess it would have been too easy for Rick to reveal what the doctor told him in the first 5 minutes. But if it's what we all think, why hasn't he told his wife yet?  ???
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2011, 10:49 AM »

3) I kinda missed the point of that scene with the older dude and the black guy talking about the "needs of the few" and the "magic radiator hose" or whatever. What was that? What exactly was the older dude implying?

I was assuming he was talking about how the group would suggest leaving because the 12 year old girl must surely be dead (logical).  By suggesting the RV wasn't ready to go yet meant that they should at least look for her until the vehicle was ready to move again.  That's how I took it. 

Didn't even notice the commercial as I typically ignore them as best I can (changed to the even more horrifying Sunday night football debacle during the commercial breaks) but that was kind of dumb to run it at that point. 

Also got to agree that the guy on top of the RV would have had to have seen them coming sooner than 100 feet out. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2011, 12:54 PM »
1) Seems the dude on the RV would have noticed the zombies before they got quite THAT close. I mean, they were RIGHT up on them. I have to assume they didn't pass them on the road so I guess they just walked out of the woods.

Ditto.  Seemed strange to have a whole herd pop up like that since I thought the point of him going up there was to watch out...

2) Why weren't any zombies attracted to the sound of the recorded church bells? If that thing was on a timer it must have been going off for weeks. (Why did the church still have power even?)

Well, there were three dead inside... maybe ther rest got used to the sound after so long?

By suggesting the RV wasn't ready to go yet meant that they should at least look for her until the vehicle was ready to move again.  That's how I took it. 

I thought the same as Brent.  If they all knew the RV was ready to go, dale was afraid someone would have said "screw the little girl, let's go now" and cause more dissention in the group. 

My only other question... what the hell killed all the people in the cars?  Tent-guy definitely capped himself, but all the decaying bodies in the cars...  I didn't get that.  How/why did they all die like that?  They all looked like they were just "dead" dead and never seemed to be Walking Dead...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2011, 01:18 PM »
My only other question... what the hell killed all the people in the cars?  Tent-guy definitely capped himself, but all the decaying bodies in the cars...  I didn't get that.  How/why did they all die like that?  They all looked like they were just "dead" dead and never seemed to be Walking Dead...

I was wondering the same thing. Have they ever answered the question of what happens to a walking dead if they don't feed for a long period of time?

Like the guy in the truck with the edged weapons, he was strapped into his seat belt. My thinking was that he became a "walking" dead but in that state couldn't figure out how to free himself from the seat belt and essentially "starved" to a second death.

It's the only explanation I could come up with, otherwise, those people in the cars should still be the "walking" type of dead and not the "dead" type of dead.

Even with the flaws (like the Church still having power for the electronic church bell) and then not seeing the herd sooner, I thought it was a great episode, and just like all of the episodes in the first season, as soon as the episode was over, I wanted to see another one immediately. Definitely a sign of great story telling.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!