Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556365 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #780 on: March 4, 2013, 10:18 PM »
In a post-apocalyptic world, you just can't trust people.  You can't.  I think Rick made the right choice ignoring that hitchhiker.

Rick would be dead how many times now if it wasn't for strangers? Morgan saved him from the horrors of the new world. Glen saved him from the tank. The CDC guy let Rick and them inside (yes, he was gonna blow them up). Oscar shot Andrew instead of Rick.

Hershel saved Carl's life.

It's about circumstances. One lone guy on the road, they don't know anything about him, but the three of them...all of them are KILLERS. They know they are. After being around them 5 minutes, the backpacker's the one who'd have feared them.  And they could've merely dropped him off in town...for Morgan to shoot.  :P

Quote from: BillCable
I don't know... screaming at the top of your lungs is the mark of an idiot.  I can't imagine how dude survived 5 minutes much less a year.  So I can understand not picking up a random idiot

Could be that he was desperate. Like, say Rick's group has been at how many times now?

Did none of those cars in the middle of the road run, though? That's what I wondered? Why didn't he hide in a ride, at least.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 4, 2013, 10:46 PM »
I'm confused on geography by this episode.  They're close enough for an afternoon ride back to their hometown but far enough away that Rick...who was law enforcement...was unaware of the existence or location of the prison???   Makes zero sense. 
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 4, 2013, 10:51 PM »
In a post-apocalyptic world, you just can't trust people.  You can't.  I think Rick made the right choice ignoring that hitchhiker.

Rick would be dead how many times now if it wasn't for strangers? Morgan saved him from the horrors of the new world. Glen saved him from the tank. The CDC guy let Rick and them inside (yes, he was gonna blow them up). Oscar shot Andrew instead of Rick.

Hershel saved Carl's life.

It's about circumstances. One lone guy on the road, they don't know anything about him, but the three of them...all of them are KILLERS. They know they are. After being around them 5 minutes, the backpacker's the one who'd have feared them.  And they could've merely dropped him off in town...for Morgan to shoot.  :P

EXACTLY.  Somehow Rick is constantly relying on the generosity of others to survive, but he can't be bothered to trust others.  You'd think he would take them in, then put them through some kind of test.  Maybe leave them with an unloaded gun and the opportunity to screw the others over.  If they pass, you take them in - if they try to screw you over, you get rid of them. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 4, 2013, 11:23 PM »
I'm confused on geography by this episode.  They're close enough for an afternoon ride back to their hometown but far enough away that Rick...who was law enforcement...was unaware of the existence or location of the prison???   Makes zero sense.

That's a great point.  I was thinking about the distance as an issue too, but it isn't totaly implausible.  I live in Minneapolis and often drive to Madison, WI.  The drive is about 4.5 hours straight through.  Now I would bet that Minneapolis cops don't know a lot about Madison area prisons, and the fact that Rick was small town might indicate that he'd know even less. 

So, assume they found a state map in the prison or on the road indicating where they were and the fastest route to get back to Rick's hometown.  Let's say it's roughly 4.5 hours away.  They could hit the road around 6:00am and get to RickTown by 10:30.  That gives them a solid 3-4 hours to hang in bright daylight.  If they left at 2:30, they'd still get back to the prison by 7:00, so not all that unreasonable.  And this all assumes they're driving the speed limit.  If the interstate is clear, they could make even better time. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #784 on: March 5, 2013, 12:03 AM »
I loved the episode really...  It was a very important one to the group's growth, and cohesion.  Here's some random thoughts I have though...

Totally loved the way they ignored the hitchhiker, only because that's the group in a nutshell at that point...  Carl looks over, but Michonne and Rick, f it...  Carl still has the innocence in him that believes people can be good and you should help, and that's his growing up in this world whereas the others are dealing with the world from the totally separate adult perspective.  Trust noone...

Talking Dead said this season's got a theme of "you can't survive alone", and this episode was very heavy on that theme.

That guy couldn't...  They signed his death sentence by ignoring him.  Dickish?  Yes, but that's the group right now...  Splintered, screwed up, and dead themselves, inside.

Then they get to town, and there's 2 separate growth moments for characters...  Carl's is just reinforced in this episode, but Rick and Michonne's is shown a lot.  Rick grows when he finds it's Morgan...  I totally agree that Rick's completely looking at Morgan as his future if he doesn't get his stuff together NOW, and he desperately needs to save him because he's saving himself if he does.  He, more than ever, I think will realize he needs to get it together.

Michonne's clearly growing just by talking...  I think she realized a little bit when Carl confronted her that, she too needs people...  And she shares with Rick at the end her talking to her bf, and acknowledging Rick's mental issues, and saying, "It's ok, I'm here and been there too, and we'll be ok".  He needed that...  and she needed and needs him, and the group.  I think Andrea's basic betrayal of her scarred her so much, she's really now seeing she fits in with the prison.

Doesn't answer any Merl questions obviously but it sets up a lotta heavy stuff.

I'm truly hoping Morgan doesn't get just offed or we never see him again...  I want to see him saved but that episode didn't give me a lot of hope.  It gives hope though, that Rick's pulling himself up by his bootstraps, that Michonne is going to work with the group more rather than on her own and being so bitchy, and Carl's just becoming a badass.

I think Rick's gonna bring a lot of Morgan's ideas back to the prison too and the Woodbury folk will have their hands full if they should pay it another visit.  He had a nice set-up in that town really.  His story was nothing short of tragic though.

The scene with him loading the bodies in that small doorway, onto the fire, as Rick & Co. drive away...  That was pretty awesome.

And keeping with the theme...  Yeah they abandoned that guy, but you need people to survive, and so they stop and took what he had because it still sorta plays into the concept.

I think Rick might be a little more into keeping some people he finds now...  It's easy to say, "F em, they may be dangerous", but clearly you NEED people...  You can't fight Woodbury on your own.  I think that was just a huge concept...  I think next time there's a hitchiker he may get a ride...  if he's alone, and they search him, and make sure he's normal.

TO me, the group's like a jaded person who doesn't want to date again because the last person they were with broke their heart...  Darryl choosing Merl, Andrea being part of Woodbury, Rick taking Merl/Darryl in and upsetting Glenn/Maggie...  There's a lot of anger flying about, but it's healing a bit, and I think they'll trust again...  Just ****** they didn't come to this before they scared off the other group that wandered into the prison and are at Woodbury now.   :-\

I don't think this was the BEST episode ever, but it was a powerful and deep episode with a ton of messages that are pivotal to the direction the show has taken I think...  and somehow the Morgan question was answered, yet left unaswered, all at the same time. :P

If I have a complaint it's largely that they didn't load up more guns, and the picture thing I'm ok with...  Michonne grew as a character from it, a lot, but she also really was as wreckless as Carl was with all that...  On Talking Dead they said Carl still thinks like that though, about the picture, and that's the major difference his character has that the adults generally don't.  He has sentimental thoughts.  He's NOT dead inside, and maybe the most well adjusted of everyone, and it's largely due to his age...  It's amazing how his character has gone from annoying, to awesome, in a season.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 6, 2013, 12:48 AM »
Let me just say that it was my favorite episode so far this season.  It was nice not to see Woodbury for once.  That storyline is getting old & I can't wait until the final showdown. 

With regards to the hitchhiker, perhaps if everyone in the vehicle was heavily armed they could've entertained the idea of picking up the hitchiker.  But they weren't, and what if the hitchhiker was?  That was the whole point of going on a run, to get supplies and more weapons, because they're weak, right?  If I'm down to my last bullet, the last thing I want to do is pick up a complete stranger.  Also, it's been how long since the zombie apocalypse?  At this point, if you see someone alive, it's safe to assume that they're pretty bad ass or at the very least, tough and/or great at surviving, which probably means they're well armed.  The last thing I'd want to do in a weakend state is pick up a complete stranger who could be a potential threat.  Fear the living...

I have to wonder how well the group would've fared if Shane was the leader and Rick was dead instead.         
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #786 on: March 6, 2013, 01:08 AM »
I think they'd have fared a little better honestly...  Rick's become more like Shane out of necessity really.  Shane kept people safe, and killed those he felt were expendable.

Nuttiness over Lori/Rick/Carl aside, Shane was a pure asset IMO.

Totally see your point about assuming he's a badass, fear the living, etc.  My only point against that would be taht all 3 in the car basically are armed enough to deal with that one guy...  You wait down at the blocked road, make him drop everything, search him, tie him up, throw him in...  I mean if you wanted him, you would've had him basically, I think, since Carl, Michonne, and Rick are clearly all 3 very capable people at handling themselves.  Michonne handled 3 clearly heavily armed people in the woods.  Rick's a badass for a myriad of reasons.  Carl displayed his at this point.  I think I wouldn't have feared that guy with who I had in the car and what they had on them.

My fear would be taking him with us on the run, not getting him on the way back which was obviously not gonna happen.  :-X  Had he been alive on the way back though, I honestly think they'd have gotten him then.  I think things turned a corner after Morgan, to some degree, with Rick.

But I still saw your point...  They left him for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is he's a totally unpredictable variable.

Wonder what got him?  There was no sign of whatever wound up getting him...  And how'd he get gotten so seemingly easily?  Wasn't like it was some overgrown area zombies could hide.  I dunno.  Weird.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 6, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Wonder what got him?  There was no sign of whatever wound up getting him...  And how'd he get gotten so seemingly easily?  Wasn't like it was some overgrown area zombies could hide.  I dunno.  Weird.

Totally. There were vehicles he could've hid in (assuming they weren't locked). Maybe he spontaneously exploded?  Maybe Morgan was right, the dead are using dead men's faces for disguises. They can imitate the living now!  :o (Show turns into some super zombie Resident Evil bullcrap!)

I wouldn't say anyone still alive is tough or badass. Some people just beat the odds. There's folks in Woodbury who aren't tough at all, just got lucky that others found them or they were in a safe spot.

Some one on Talking Dead asked if it had been a child, would they have stopped. The panel was like "oh, yeah".  Hmmm....
« Last Edit: March 6, 2013, 12:38 PM by Scockery »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #788 on: March 6, 2013, 01:19 PM »
After thinking about that, I agree...  I think might have the instinct that all the living are badass, but those Mexicans weren't.  They were pretty pathetic actually.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 6, 2013, 03:35 PM »
The guy had a big camping pack on - he could have just been a woodsman who was relatively isolated from most of the action.  I just assumed the Walkers got him.  The ones that sprang on Rick's car came somewhat out of nowhere, so they might have easily caught up with this guy too.  Maybe he just decided to give up after Rick and company passed him by.  Funny that zombies weren't still munching on him, but maybe something else drew them away.  They should make that guy's story into a webisode.

The hitchhiker was really a brilliant addition to the storyline.  Once again they put you in that "what would you do?" position.  On one hand, you don't know who you can trust in this world.  Most of us wouldn't stop for regular hitchhikers, so why would we stop for this guy with even more on the line?  What if he was crazy like Morgan or was part of an ambush?  Rick's also got his son in the car - he's going to be even less likely to trust others in that scenario.

On the flip side, you've got start valuing any kind of human life with so few people left.  What if this guy had a cure or knew something that could help the group?  Maybe he had a run in with Morgan and was the only survivor.  Rick has survived through the generosity of others time and time again - how do you not start repaying that trust to others?  I think most fans of the show view the Governor as evil and Rick's group as the good guys, but I'm not so sure of that when the governor is taking people in and Rick's leaving them in the dust.  Add in the fact that they need some manpower to build up their group.  I'd also argue that between Rick, Carl, and Michonne, that dude would not have lasted 5 seconds in the car if there was anything nutty about him.  Why not give him a chance.  Somewhat ironic that the 3 deadliest killers in the group were in that car.

You had better believe Daryl would have stopped for that poor guy.

Great storylines and discussion points as usual.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2013, 03:36 PM by JediJman »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 6, 2013, 03:58 PM »
When I was watching it, I was hoping that Rick would at least talk to the guy.  I think a lot of him not giving the guy any chance was becuase Carl was with him and he doesn't want to risk putting his kid in more danger... the parent in me tells me that I wouldn't either.  But then again, Rick's allowing his kid to be involved with some dangerous stuff (but what in that world they live in isn't dangerous?).

Anyways, good episode but a bit of a letdown with Morgan (reading the book gave me the impression things might be differnt with Morgan - which I suppose, they still could leave that open seeing how this episode ended).

Also, I wasn't bothered at all that Carl wanted the picture.  I was a bit bothered that Michonne was able to sneak in and get it so easily though... I know the zombies were distracted, but that was kind of silly. I get it though - it was done to have Carl start trusting Michonne, which is going to be very important to the series.

I didn't like the preview to next week though.  Not one bit.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 6, 2013, 04:36 PM »

???

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 6, 2013, 08:47 PM »

???

Looked like Rick was standing at the Governor's desk, yelling at Andrea, saying something along the lines of "You told me was willing to talk!"

Why Rick would be at Woodbury at this point and willing to talk to that guy is beyond me.  Guess we'll see.  I hope this particular scenario doesn't play out like in the books.  Rick does end up there, but under very different circumstances, as he's there before the two groups go to war.  I hope what happens to Rick in the books while in Woodbury doesn't happen in the TV series.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 7, 2013, 12:05 AM »
Me too, Chewie.  We already have enough people at the prison with missing appendages.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 7, 2013, 09:24 AM »
The clip I saw was Rick and Darryl clearing out the area of a bunch of silos, with Herscel staying in the truck armed with a M-4. The meeting when it does take place between the governor and Rick seems to be taking palce on nuetral ground.