Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 557925 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #825 on: March 18, 2013, 04:37 PM »
We watch the Following, but really what else is on Mondays? The Bachelor??

I don't watch TV every day.  Mondays sometimes I'll catch up on what I've DVRed, and sometimes I'll play PS3.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 18, 2013, 05:42 PM »
I think Continuum is decent and enjoy SyFy's Being Human for what it is (if all three characters get reset to their original conditions, I'm going to be annoyed...only one left that hasn't.) I don't watch any of the (old) Big Three's shows. Not sure why...maybe because they are cancel happy. I watched the mediocre THE CAPE and the better THE RIVER last year and both got the axe. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 18, 2013, 08:03 PM »
I think Continuum is decent and enjoy SyFy's Being Human for what it is (if all three characters get reset to their original conditions, I'm going to be annoyed...only one left that hasn't.) I don't watch any of the (old) Big Three's shows. Not sure why...maybe because they are cancel happy. I watched the mediocre THE CAPE and the better THE RIVER last year and both got the axe.

LOL, ditto here. I watched both of those too, but I can't say I miss them.

I had to drop the Following after 4-5 episodes too because it literally just made me angry every time I watched it. The FBI just come off like a bunch of clueless jackasses and I got sick of watching the creepy-loser-of-the-week keep punking them like they were some kind of criminal mastermind. But I digress.

I almost hate to say this because it has become somewhat of a cliched plot device, but at some point soon, maybe next season, I kinda think it would be cool to do a WD flashback episode showing what each of the main characters experienced during the pivotal day(s) when everything fell apart. Laurie, Merle, Daryll, even Phillip and Milton could be interesting.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #828 on: March 18, 2013, 10:58 PM »

I almost hate to say this because it has become somewhat of a cliched plot device, but at some point soon, maybe next season, I kinda think it would be cool to do a WD flashback episode showing what each of the main characters experienced during the pivotal day(s) when everything fell apart. Laurie, Merle, Daryll, even Phillip and Milton could be interesting.

Big fan of this idea!
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #829 on: March 19, 2013, 07:51 AM »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 19, 2013, 09:35 AM »
That's pretty much the idea that got Darabont fired.

Sounds to me like he got fired because the AMC suits were a bunch of cheap aholes.

That's an interesting piece though, I forgot Starkiller was the walker in the tank. And I now understand why all those WD actors were in The Mist, because that was a Darabont thing too.

Still think it's a good idea.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 20, 2013, 12:49 AM »
I finally got around to watching this week's episode tonight.  Count me among those who really liked this one.  Were there a few potential plot pitfalls?  Sure. But I didn't think any of it was so far fetched that it bothered me.

Intro with Michone and Andrea was cool to see, and nice that they are willing to show flashbacks here and there.  I think that bodes well for someday seeing some of the characters' history.  I couldn't quite hear Michone though - anyone catch what she was saying?

Woodbury exits: I don't think "Woodbury" is a full town the way people are imagining it.  I think they maybe have 4-8 blocks cornered off and just like we saw in this episode, there are probably walls and cars set up with guards at each roadway.  They have what, 70 people?  8 blocks (4x2) would mean 8 entrances to cover, which is just 16 people (less if they can get away with just one person stationed or safely close a few of these off.  Do people need to see all 8 to enjoy the show more?  If the Governor goes to the outhouse, are people not satisfied without knowing if it was a piss or a ****?  Come on peeps, lighten up. 

I would also assume that most of the Governor's people are willing to let Milton out for the burn, since he's something of a #2 or #3 to the Governor.  Who's to say that he snuck out with a truck on his own?  If there was an order to keep everyone at Woodbury, I think Milton is one of the few who could talk someone into letting him through.

Lots of complaints about tracking skills.  By this point, both Andrea and Phillip should be pretty well versed on how to get to the prison.  Andrea avoided the first truck, but got caught in the open field.  That moment where she thinks she's okay then you see the truck coming at her is classic old school horror.  I find that sense of dread way more scary than the blood splatters and gore.  The governor knows the stops along the way.  He's directed to the warehouse by the sound, so no supernatural tracking skills there.  I loved the matchup in the warehouse with Andrea getting the upper hand, though I don't like it when they seem to show someone overwhelmed and then they get away.  The Walkers should have just chased Phillip out to the truck, which would have explained why Andrea continued on foot.

As for the prison, there appears to be only a couple of safe, known ways in.  If Phillip has the truck and Andrea is moving through the woods, he could easily pass her and get to the footpath where she's likely to come in.  She's not coming by the roadway (or he would have run into her) and his hiding spot off the road, but near the front could have been intended to shoot Andrea if he couldn't reach her. 

The only far fetched moments for me were that Andrea didn't take the ******* truck, which I believe Phillip left running, and that she couldn't make some kind of noise to draw attention between where she was pinned near the prison and getting to the truck.  Maybe Phillip knocked her out, but then how does he drag or carry her away without being seen from where he is?  I think he could have moved her from the truck to the torture chamber in the middle of the night or maybe even used a few trusted guys. 

I'm probably in the minority on this as well, but I was also not a fan of the burnt zombies.  I've never burned a person or animal, but wouldn't their flesh continue to burn to the bone and kill them?  Seems odd that it just burnt out and they were still moving.  Not nearly enough to ruin the moment for me though.

As for plot advancement, we now have Tyreese questioning the Governor, the torture chamber assembled and occupied, and Andrea & Milton finally showing their true colors.  We even got a little backstory on Tyreese's crazy "buddy" and his son.  All with lots of Walker fighting and suspense - I thought this was a great episode with lots to like.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 20, 2013, 03:01 PM »
I agree, very good episode and I enjoyed reading your take on it...

As for the burnt zombies, burns like that would kill a person but a zombie needs the brain to be destroyed... I'm assuming that the fire wouldn't penetrate the skulls on all of them.

Seeing them in the pit like that all melted together but still "alive" was definitely one of the nastiest things of the series for me.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 20, 2013, 06:24 PM »
ya total gruesome, but wouldn't there eyes have been burned/melted out.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #834 on: March 20, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Since it was just gas in a dirt pile the fire would burn itself out eventually once all the fuel for it was pretty much gone so I suppose it's possible it just kinda petered out...  Just my guess.

Great episode...  liked Andrea's F U look through the door.

I also like watching zombies in funny situations like all stuck in the stairwell.  It's like stinkbugs.  I laugh when they fly into the wall and knock themselves unconscious for some reason too.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:14 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 20, 2013, 07:38 PM »
As for the burnt zombies, burns like that would kill a person but a zombie needs the brain to be destroyed... I'm assuming that the fire wouldn't penetrate the skulls on all of them.

I hadn't thought of that.  Ish.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 22, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Finally watched the new episode. LOVED it, along with the past few episodes, which bodes well because I think the new Showrunner directed them or did most of the work on them. Not much else to really cover though.

I thought the fire thing was weird though because most zombie fiction uses fire as a primary weapon to stop them. Good point about the brains but wouldn't all of the other muscles deteriorate to the point that they can't move? Forgive my lack of knowledge though, like Jman the only things I've burned are paper and leaves

Why did Woodbury Archer Girl have to die now? Tyrese needs some shooting lessons.

I also had the next episode spoiled for me.  :(
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #837 on: March 22, 2013, 12:13 PM »
I find it's never a good idea to try to make scientific sense out of Zombies...

7 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Outbreak Would Fail (Quickly)  (hilarious, BTW)

I mean, brain tissue decays faster than just about anything else.  In reality, they'd have hollow skulls full of soup within a weak.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 22, 2013, 12:17 PM »
I find it's never a good idea to try to make scientific sense out of Zombies...

7 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Outbreak Would Fail (Quickly)  (hilarious, BTW)

I mean, brain tissue decays faster than just about anything else.  In reality, they'd have hollow skulls full of soup within a weak.

The virus preserves the brain tissue!!!   :P

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #839 on: March 22, 2013, 01:05 PM »
Ah yes... one of those preservative viruses!  My fault.   8)