Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556457 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #945 on: October 17, 2013, 04:56 PM »
What if someone has a heart attack in the middle of the night?

That's just plain reality right there... and no one wants to see that.  The death has to be gruesome.  ;)

That's the point though.  If some guy has a stroke and dies in his sleep, he comes back as a zombie and starts ripping into people while they sleep. You're really not safe unless you're isolated from everyone else when you're asleep.  Surprised they haven't hit on this yet.

One would think they would just lock the cells (not necessarily using the prison locks, but chains with padlocks or something) at night to  avoid an incident like someone dying in their sleep. Between not having night watches and not locking the individual cells, the group must be EXTREMELY complacent at this point.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:56 PM by Greg »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #946 on: October 17, 2013, 05:52 PM »
Agreed on cells...  No way if I were in there, would my cell be open...   I'd lock myself in and have my own mini stash of emergency food and weapons in a pack ready to roll out if needs be.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 17, 2013, 11:45 PM »
Agreed on cells...  No way if I were in there, would my cell be open...   I'd lock myself in and have my own mini stash of emergency food and weapons in a pack ready to roll out if needs be.

You mean like what's in my basement?   :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #948 on: October 17, 2013, 11:47 PM »
Hehe, I don't have a basement or I'd second that...  My stuff's just hidden in a secret place.  My special place.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #949 on: October 18, 2013, 09:44 AM »
My stuff's just hidden in a secret place.  My special place.

That's what she said...

I just wanna know who hauls away all the harpooned fence zombies.  Or do they melt?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 18, 2013, 12:32 PM »

That is an interesting take for sure, I interpreted that as more of a spiritual/ethical type comeback than a mental one. Like "how can you reconcile the horrible things you have had to do to survive with your personal sense of morality?" That was kind of the thrust of their conversation, they had both done bad things but Rick was still willing to reach out and help a stranger whereas she couldn't make that leap and had crossed over to pure survival mode.

That is what I took from it too.  Could the soul come back from being inhumane, not really the psyche.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #951 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35 PM »
What they should do with the fence zombies is when Darryl's out on a run look for a dozer or even a road paver.  Problem solved.

Bring back, armor it up.  No hauling away necessary...  Hell, it'll even help you make a barrier so the zombies can't get so high up on the fence by digging a bit of a trench around the perimeter.  Might need a backhoe for that, but hell it's rural Georgia...  People probably have those sitting in their front yards.

I'm actually surprised they haven't tried the overturned bus/tire wall on the INSIDE of the fence, to fortify it.  Clearly chainlink is flimsy not only against the dead, but the living.

Also some traps like in Rick's hometown would be a much more efficient way of breaking up those larger groups as well.

But yeah, buses should be fairly easy to find since they'd have surely been used a lot to shuttle victims around or evacuate people.  Woodbury's stuff may be even easy enough to get ahold of and bring back.

This group's definitely complacent.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 18, 2013, 03:08 PM »
The dead piling up on the outside of the fence is a great point.  At some point, you have to think that would either weight against the fence and help bring it down or enough bodies would pile up that the remaining dead would start stepping on top of them to push on the fence.  We've certainly seen more durable barriers fail with sporting events and the like - maybe that is where they're going with some of the preview scenes they showed. 

I'm not 100% clear on why there are any zombies left at the fence.  If you had 4 people killing zombies at a rate of 2 every 5 minutes (conservative versus what we saw on the show), then you'd take out 100 zombies every hour.  Just working at it one hour a day, you'd take out 3,000 zombies in one month, and that increases dramatically if you worked at it a couple of hours or had just a few more people involved.  I can't imagine they're getting that many new zombies every day - it should be simple enough to clear them all out and then an even lightler load when they need to take on new stragglers. 

Minor potential spoiler - In the comics they eventually build a reinforced wall around camp and put a moat and maze of cars all around to slow the advancing dead.  Another camp has those spikes all around like the front of the prison gates, so zombies get stuck on them and act as a deterent to any living invaders.  Plenty of time to get to all that I suppose, but there's lots more they could be doing to protect themselves.  I still think posting a few sentries 24-7 is critical - not sure I could ever sleep without that.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 18, 2013, 09:25 PM »
My stuff's just hidden in a secret place.  My special place.

That's what she said...

I just wanna know who hauls away all the harpooned fence zombies.  Or do they melt?

Just burn them! Don't even need to waste gas, propane, kerosene work fine. Not like they're gonna burn the fence down.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #954 on: October 18, 2013, 09:55 PM »
Actually it will...  Heat weakens steel over time and piles of zombies would generate a lotta heat...  I've thot homemade flamethrowers would be great but that many zombies is gonna create intense heat.  Burning them in a mote would be good tho.  Like happened at woodburys trap.  Smoke might draw unwanted live attention tho. :/

There don't seem to be pile ups of dead walkers on the fence but carol mentions the build up taking place for a while so I think its possible they're already cleaning them up in some capacity.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 19, 2013, 07:47 PM »
Great point about the smoke, Jesse. Bad idea.

When they first got to the prison, it wasn't completely overrun, despite the fencing being down in places. Wonder what's driving them all that way now. Doesn't seem like the group is being all that high profile. Minimal noise, lighting, etc. I guess it is more of an accumulation over time, although carol does seem to indicate its been getting worse.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 19, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Part of the new 'threat' is what's causing the walker build up and in the previews they've shown dead half-eaten rodents so someone in the prison is 'feeding' the walkers thus causing more to show up - kind of like stray cats lol
and it's entirely possible that maybe 'some' of the woodbury refugees are still loyal to the Gov eventhough he's missing at the moment.
but the biggest mystery right now is what's up with the bleeding eyes zombies?
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 20, 2013, 11:14 PM »
 Season 4 Ep 2 "Swine Flu Over the Koo-koo's Nest"

I gotta ham it to Rick, when it come to dealing with walkers, he really brings home the bacon.

I found myself not Karen much about the people who died. Rick looks distraught, someone needs to Patrick on the head and tell him it's alright.

Can Carol CUT it as those girls' guardian? Her talk with the oldest got a little edgy.

Tyreese will be burning with rage next episode after what happened to his flame. They seemed like quite the match. He was really carrying a torch for her.

Yeah...

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 21, 2013, 06:39 AM »
Hahahaha...I see whatcha did there.^^^
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 22, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Looks like I picked the right week to watch the new episode late On-Demand, did not miss much by way of comments.

Still feels like they are setting the table, but more focus on the walkers is always good in my book. Prisoners in Cell Block D! (Does anyone remember that show?!?!)

I find I am liking Carl a LOT more this season than ever before. He's grown up, not doing stupid stuff that gets people killed anymore, and seems to really be making the effort not only with Rick but with himself as well. I like that their relationship is solidifying once again, as evidenced by Carl relating the Carol news, and Rick actually taking Carl's advice to heart.

Loving Michonne this season as well, her character is getting a lot more depth beyond slicing walker heads. I guess the implication now is that she lost a child at some point? I don't recall that from the comics but that doesn't mean anything. It's an interesting angle.

I'm not entirely convinced that the person feeding the walkers is the same person who burned up Karen and the other guy. The two actions are essentially in direct opposition to each other. The idea with the rats seems to be to get the walkers in and make things crazy dangerous, whereas killing Karen and the other guy is more like a preemptive mood to STOP things from getting crazy dangerous if they were in fact to turn. (Although since they were already locked up maybe the fear was that they would somehow end up exposing more people)

At any rate, I don't see the unifying goal that would be served by those two things. Whoever it is doesn't seem very worried about covering their tracks. It should be easy enough to lock things down, do head counts, restrict people's access, MAYBE LOCK UP THE GASOLINE, etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was Carol who burned the bodies. Maybe the new army medic guy is King Rat?

Loved Rick strapping on the holsters again. Those poor piglets though!