Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556456 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1200 on: February 13, 2014, 12:27 AM »
anyway episode was kinda what was expected nothing dramatic was really going to happen although i thot we'd see more of rest of grp or at least a hint. so i guess the disappointment was really that there wasn't too much to expect. and probably nothing really for rest of the season if there is only like 7 more to go, it'll mostly be about who survived and how/if they meet up. the only thing i can think that'll be climactic/dramatic is confirmation of Judith death, finding Carol alive and well and her rejoining grp. after hershel death i don't think we'll see anymore major cast member deaths.

I forgot to mention that Conan had a TWD episode last week with all the major characters (except Andrew Lincoln who was sick and could not attend).  The girl who plays Carol was there....I knew we'd be seeing her again.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1201 on: February 13, 2014, 01:55 AM »
You could kinda tell by how they talked on TD last year they were expecting a Carol return and I'm glad because her cast-off was dejecting...  She'll be back a more deep character too, I think.  And adds to Darryl.

I wonder if we'll see Morgan again.  I'd go if for nothing else than the relative protection and to pick up some more hardware.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:56 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 13, 2014, 08:54 AM »
The show had an opportunity to get super-interesting with Carl shooting Zombie Rick, but, as usual, they blew it.

3 1/2 seasons into a show that "blows it as usual"? I don't get it

I get this show is must see TV to the masses, hell I watch it every week too, so I'm part of the masses.  But shoddy and inconsistent writing along with dumb characters makes it pale in comparison to shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Justified and True Detective (now there's a show that should be talked about more.  The last six minutes of last weeks episode was ******* nuts).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 13, 2014, 09:41 AM »
The show had an opportunity to get super-interesting with Carl shooting Zombie Rick, but, as usual, they blew it.

3 1/2 seasons into a show that "blows it as usual"? I don't get it

I get this show is must see TV to the masses, hell I watch it every week too, so I'm part of the masses.  But shoddy and inconsistent writing along with dumb characters makes it pale in comparison to shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Justified and True Detective (now there's a show that should be talked about more.  The last six minutes of last weeks episode was ******* nuts).

All my point is..... is then don't watch it. It may not be the best show in all aspects, I get that, but it isn't as bad as you make it sound and again "inconsistent writing and dumb characters", easy solution, don't watch. If I had HBO or had had AMC when Bad started, Bad and Thrones would have been watched, but I don't. I have stopped watching many shows because they sucked. This isn't one of them.

In the end this is my problem I guess and I have to deal. That said, I'd rather this be a thread for people who like the show to post their likes AND dislikes, but not where people who hate it come to tell me they still watch it and it sucks and apparently I'm dumb for not seeing it sucks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:22 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1204 on: February 13, 2014, 10:30 AM »
All my point is..... is then don't watch it. It may not be the best show in all aspects, I get that, but it isn't as bad as you make it sound and again "inconsistent writing and dumb characters", easy solution, don't watch. If I had HBO or had had AMC when Bad started, Bad and Thrones would have been watched, but I don't. I have stopped watching many shows because they sucked. This isn't one of them.

In the end this is my problem I guess and I have to deal. That said, I'd rather this be a thread for people who like the show to post their likes AND dislikes, but not where people who hate it come to tell me they still watch it and it sucks and apparently I'm dumb for not seeing it sucks.

I think you're taking this a little too personally. It's just a show, man.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 13, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1206 on: February 13, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome.

Sneak preview of Episode 11: Rick, Carl, and Michonne clear another house.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:46 AM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 13, 2014, 10:46 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome.

Sneak preview of Episode 10: Rick, Carl and Michonne clear another house.

Great! More crappy writing and dumb characters. Man this show sucks. Can't wait to watch.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 13, 2014, 10:59 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome.

Sneak preview of Episode 11: Rick, Carl, and Michonne clear another house.

Wrong, that's episode 12.  Episode 11 focuses on the other dumb characters we didn't see in episode 9 (except Daryl, he ain't dumb and Maggie, she hot).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1209 on: February 13, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Great! More crappy writing and dumb characters. Man this show sucks. Can't wait to watch.

I think everyone here likes the show to a degree, or they wouldn't be here. And I think most would agree it's a pretty good show. But that doesn't mean it's above reproach when it gets dumb and directionless, or when it takes the easy way out, they way it did when Carl didn't shoot Zombie Rick.

I will always wonder what this show would have been like if AMC hadn't fired Darabont, and let them have the budget they wanted. The first season had so much promise.

BREAKING: They just fired another showrunner.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Matt...How does Carl not shooting Rick equal "dumb and directionless?"  The point of the episode was that Carl has been building up resentment for his dad and feels he doesn't need him.  Him NOT shooting Rick signaled his realization that he'd rather die than be alone. Thinking Rick is zombified, he'd actually rather just end it all right there versus going on alone.  That's not dumb - its actually pretty powerful character development.  And it's obviously taking a main character in a new, more mature direction.  Could it be that the show is solid and it's you who just doesn't get it? 

By the way, Kirkman is on record as saying the WD is "Rick's Story," so killing him off for shock value would be a pretty stupid move.  You want to compare this to Breaking Bad, but you're offering up the equivalent of Walter getting killed in season 2 and the rest of the story focusing on Jesse. 

Beyond MY opinion, I think Nick and others are just bothered by the constant ripping on the show.  This is obviously a thread for people that really like the show.  That doesn't mean you can't point out things that bother you or that you wish had happened differently, but saying the storyline sucks or the writers constantly "blow it" isn't going to make you a lot of friends here.  And frankly, it makes you sound pretty stupid for continuing to waste your time on a show you don't like.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 13, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Wish I was smart enough to have said all that.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1212 on: February 13, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Matt...How does Carl not shooting Rick equal "dumb and directionless?"  The point of the episode was that Carl has been building up resentment for his dad and feels he doesn't need him.  Him NOT shooting Rick signaled his realization that he'd rather die than be alone. Thinking Rick is zombified, he'd actually rather just end it all right there versus going on alone.  That's not dumb - its actually pretty powerful character development.  And it's obviously taking a main character in a new, more mature direction.  Could it be that the show is solid and it's you who just doesn't get it?

I said Carl not shooting Rick was the show taking the easy way out. Did it develop Carl as a character better than the alternative? There's no way to know. But the alternative would have made for much more interesting TV. Dumb and directionless was just a general descriptor of some of the decisions they've made after the first season.

By the way, Kirkman is on record as saying the WD is "Rick's Story," so killing him off for shock value would be a pretty stupid move.  You want to compare this to Breaking Bad, but you're offering up the equivalent of Walter getting killed in season 2 and the rest of the story focusing on Jesse.

If it's Rick's story, then we know he's gonna make it out of every situation they put him in, like James Bond. That's boring. And means that line they like to trot out that "anyone can die at any time" is total bull****.

And I'm not the one who mentioned Breaking Bad, but do people really want to compare the two? Really?

Beyond MY opinion, I think Nick and others are just bothered by the constant ripping on the show.  This is obviously a thread for people that really like the show.

Then let's update the thread title to "The Walking Dead (ONLY for people that really like the show)"

That doesn't mean you can't point out things that bother you or that you wish had happened differently, but saying the storyline sucks or the writers constantly "blow it" isn't going to make you a lot of friends here.  And frankly, it makes you sound pretty stupid for continuing to waste your time on a show you don't like.

I like the show. It can be great TV when it wants to be. Too bad it hasn't wanted to be for a while.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 13, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Rick dead doesn't make the show more interesting in my opinion.
Yes Rick probably will always live. Good. Anyone else could die, pretty close to what they said. Not BS.
I think "really" was meant as "actually like" and not "like a lot".
And the show is still good.
I am speaking for everybody here, which is never a good idea, thus I could be way off base, but I do think most people who read this thread want to talk about what they like, didn't like, BUT don't want to hear about the show sucks. So maybe the thread title should be changed OR some of us just were able to infer that. Again I could be totally wrong on other's thoughts.
And time to stop fighting about TV. The end.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:53 PM by GrandMoffNick »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1214 on: February 13, 2014, 01:01 PM »
I actually like the show.