Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 561461 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1485 on: October 20, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Haven't you read the comics McMetal? I figured you must have with your knowledge of the exclusive comic figures.

Yeah, but it's been so long I couldn't remember. I went back and read up last night though, now it all comes back.  ;)

I don't see the problem with discussing the comic stuff in here, the shows veers wildly away from the comic plots generally, so knowing one thing doesn't necessarily spoil the other.

I think it would have been cooler if Bob had been bitten and those dbags had eaten his infected leg. (Yes, I know everyone's infected but something about being bitten seems to hasten the process)

I also think Gareth is full of crap about it not being personal. There were plenty of dead people back in Terminus they could have eaten. Like his Mom.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: October 20, 2014, 12:13 PM »
What's to say Bob wasn't bitten?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1487 on: October 20, 2014, 12:41 PM »

Lack of symptoms.  The fact that the cannibals ate him.  Pretty sure they'd inspect their food before chomping down.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 20, 2014, 02:01 PM »

Lack of symptoms.  The fact that the cannibals ate him.  Pretty sure they'd inspect their food before chomping down.

Sorry Tracy. Didn't stop them in the comics
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 20, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Is it me or did it seem like Bob and Gareth had a history, beyond what recently happened at Terminus?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1490 on: October 20, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Is it me or did it seem like Bob and Gareth had a history, beyond what recently happened at Terminus?

That scene was straight out of the Comics.  Although it was Dale and not Bob.  Don't worry Tracy, that's all I'll say.   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 20, 2014, 09:38 PM »
I think it would have been cooler if Bob had been bitten and those dbags had eaten his infected leg. (Yes, I know everyone's infected but something about being bitten seems to hasten the process)

I also think Gareth is full of crap about it not being personal. There were plenty of dead people back in Terminus they could have eaten. Like his Mom.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob ends up revealing a bite or scratch in the next episode... it would explain why he left the church to go off alone. Plus it seems like the producers love to have an ambiguous setup leading to a "surprising reveal" later on, like the guy Tyreese "killed" at the cabin showing up at the campfire Bob-B-Q.

I somewhat disagree about the whole "nothing personal" bit. After the systematic slaughter of those four guys at Terminus and the casual attitude of the Termites, I can believe that they have become totally "shut off" and view other humans solely as food. That makes Gareth and the others much scarier, as they have pretty much become living versions of the zombies... focused solely on food and unable to be reasoned with. Though I will say I think Gareth is taking pleasure in hunting Rick's group after what happened at Terminus.

I didn't really get that vibe, but it is an interesting idea. My thinking is just that Bob had talked/pleaded with Gareth while his group was captured and in the train car prior to Rick's arrival. It could be interesting though if it ends up being revealed that Bob had passed thru when Terminus was a real sanctuary, or if he was a resident who had escaped when that hostile gang invaded.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 26, 2014, 09:46 PM »
A promise was kept

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: October 26, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Another great episode tonight, really a TWD comic fan's wet dream. SO GLAD they're not stretching out the Hunters arc. I really want to see who was hiding behind Daryl in the trees.

Minor nitpick: the group splitting up again.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1494 on: October 27, 2014, 01:30 AM »
3 great episodes in a row. Have to say I am impressed and have been proven wrong. I was really losing interest after last season.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: October 27, 2014, 09:11 AM »
#TaintedMeat!!!

What a great episode, probably one of my favorites in recent memory. The sheer cathartic thrill from watching Rick & co brutally slaughter those worthless dbags in the church was exquisite. God, that was sweet. I knew we would see that red handled machete again!

Great scenes with Bob throughout the episode, by the end you really felt the weight of his loss. Optimists are a rare breed in that world...he will be missed.

I did not get the whole splitting-up-the-group thing either. Why did Maggie and Glenn have to go on the bus? I know this was discussed as some part of the bargain, but it ultimately seems a bit pointless. I liked the note Abraham left on the map for Rick though, nice touch.

Two minor things bothered me about last night's episode though. #1, how in the Hell would Gareth have known everyone's names? They weren't at Terminus long enough to glean that info and Bob sure as hell wasn't talking. I can see knowing a couple of them but not every single one. #2, how in the Hell would Gareth have known it was Carol who killed his Mom? It's not like he was in the room, if he had found her later it would have just appeared she had been torn apart by walkers. Doubtful he would have even noticed she had been shot, and he certainly wouldn't know by whom.

I know i am in the minority on this, but I am convinced Gareth was wrong and that eating the tainted meat was in fact, a very bad thing. Cooking, IMO, would have had no effect on the escalation of the virus. And I'm pretty sure this would have hastened everyone "turning" had they not all been killed. I know the pathology of the virus is intentionally vague, but that's how I make sense of it in my head.

Yeah, great cliffhanger at the end there with Daryl. Does he have Beth, or Carol? Or both? And why would they have been hanging back in the shadows? Gruseome injuries perhaps? CAN'T WAIT TIL NEXT WEEK!!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1496 on: October 27, 2014, 11:57 AM »
Yeah - the group split makes no sense.  Abraham wanted to leave because he perceived a threat to Eugene.  That threat was eliminated.  Now there's no reason to leave immediately.  I suspect it's for story-telling.  It's a lot easier to plot an episode with 6 mains than it is 12.

Hard to know if cooking will sterilize tainted meat.  If it's a venom-based toxin (mainly delivered through saliva), hard to know if it'd present in the meat, or if cooking it would make it inert.  Cooking spoiled meat, in general, doesn't make it palatable.  It's pretty clear tainted blood has no effect when splattered all over the body, open wounds, eyes or mouth.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: October 27, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Maybe possibly it is Carol that Darryl calls up to join him. They followed to car, saw where Beth was being held and came back for some muscle to get her out.

With Glenn somewhere else it might give a chance for Rick and Tyreese to become bros.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1498 on: October 28, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Some thoughts...

On Abraham leaving, they've brought it up about his character that Rick has his mission, and Abraham has his, and Abraham's possible flaw (or advantage) is he's completely focused on his "mission" and I think the mission is what his leaving is all about...  He says there's a threat to Eugene so he's leaving.  Maggie/Glenn convince him if he sticks around 12 hours to help deal with the Hunters they'll go with him, no questions, no hassle.  He wants that, so he agrees.  He leaves, they leave with him.  He is on his mission, and his mission doesn't include looking for Darryl/Carol, which is what Rick wants to stay and do.  Abraham's leaving is about leaving Darryl/Carol and continuing the DC trip, is the way I see it.  So to me it makes sense I guess.

Garreth knows Carol, Tyrese, and Judith's names via Tyrese's goon he let go.  He knew Bob's name back at Terminus, Rick as well if I recall, back at the trough.  It's tough to say how long they were being held because there's not a clear cut timeline on that...  The group look to have worked on their weapons a little while though, so I'm ok with suspending disbelief that he learned the names of the captives quickly and got the last 3 from the guy Tyrese didn't kill.

The slaughter of the Termites in the church was OUTSTANDING.  Every bit as satisfying, if not a little more quick, as the Claimers being killed.  I think it is personal with Garreth, but I think it's a personal thing that goes back to the takeover of Terminus from them.  I think that eating people is clearly not a necessity, so they do it for some reason beyond that.  They can hunt.  They can gather.  The ability to maintain a society that way is clear with Woodbury, so I think the Termites maintain the "it's not personal" thing for their own psyche, but they're all doing what they do because it's personal.  At the very least the core ones (Garreth, his mother, etc.).

No clue on the tainted meat thing...  I'd go with whatever you say on that Bill.  All I can add is that people won't eat meat from a kill if say the intestines or whatever are punctured and contaminate the meat.  It's why gutting a deer is so important that it's done right.  I dunno.  I can go either way thinking the cooking helped reduce risk or it didn't and they were all going to die.  Ingesting stuff puts it in your bloodstream, so does the bite it seems, sooooo...  I dunno.  Maybe they'll never get to explaining that type of stuff?

I couldn't gather whether Rick & Co. came back on purpose, and lured the Termites in on purpose, or if they just happened back for some reason?  They didn't seem to explain that.  I like to think Rick did that on purpose, and basically used everyone in Gabriel's office as bait, more or less.

Gabriel's big character flaw is he's a coward then?  I'm underwhelmed. 

I think Darryl has Morgan with him, or someone new, but not Carol.  I just don't see why he'd keep her back (she's as competent as he is, and she knows the group and they know her).  Morgan you'd keep back because he doesn't know everyone to see them...  I dunno.  I'm just betting it's not Carol.

That's all I can gather. 

Wherever Beth is, it sure looks populated.   :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1499 on: October 29, 2014, 08:20 AM »
I couldn't gather whether Rick & Co. came back on purpose, and lured the Termites in on purpose, or if they just happened back for some reason?  They didn't seem to explain that.  I like to think Rick did that on purpose, and basically used everyone in Gabriel's office as bait, more or less.

They came back on purpose.  Leave in a big display, knowing they're being watched.  Hide out while the hunters go into the church.  Then go back.

The main reason it was confusing was because they filmed it to be confusing... they omitted the part about coming back from the planning scene so it'd be a surprise.  You were led to believe that they were actually going to the school.  Worked well in creating an amazing sense of tension, but not particularly honest.