Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 562220 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1560 on: December 1, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Though I knew someone had to go down - and that it would probably be Beth (considering the hype about a heartbreaking loss during the mid-season finale) - I was somehow lulled into a false sense of security. I almost thought they were going to blindside us with Glenn or Maggie dying. Though it was hard to see Daryl crying over Beth's senseless death - I, for one, am glad that all of the Daryl/Beth chatter will die too. He's got Carol to make it all better..........
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: December 2, 2014, 10:29 AM »
if beth 'got it' i'm glad cuz i sure the hell didn't. wtf. she was in the clear to freely leave. i'm sure when she was thinking of stabbing her that she wasn't going to get popped in the head especially when it was only a flesh wound at best with the siccors to the shoulder, it wasn't a life or death wound. but still u knew that was going to make the getting out of there situation that much more difficult. pointless death.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1562 on: December 2, 2014, 10:44 AM »
After thinking about it, I think what she "got" was that Dawn was afraid of losing her power, and would go to any lengths to keep it.  In this case, making a dick move to look all bad-ass.

Though I don't know what she hoped to accomplish by stabbing her.  Maybe to save Noah?  Though the most likely outcome was a big shoot-out where everybody died.  Not the most rational decision.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: December 2, 2014, 07:56 PM »
if beth 'got it' i'm glad cuz i sure the hell didn't. wtf. she was in the clear to freely leave. i'm sure when she was thinking of stabbing her that she wasn't going to get popped in the head especially when it was only a flesh wound at best with the siccors to the shoulder, it wasn't a life or death wound. but still u knew that was going to make the getting out of there situation that much more difficult. pointless death.

+1 I still don't get it.  She explained it on TD as a sense of overconfidence, but she clearly wasn't thinking through the possible outcomes.  Did she think the scissors was going to take Dawn down?  She just saw a clear example earlier in the show of what Dawn will do when put in a corner.  Outside of immediately killing her, she was going to take someone else down with just a wound.  I get they needed to kill off a main character to keep things lively, but that whole storyline was really weak.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1564 on: December 2, 2014, 08:18 PM »
She was up in the neck vicinity, so maybe she was going for it.  Maybe "I get it" is simply letting Dawn know she gets that this is the world, she doesn't like it anymore, she doesn't want to be in it anymore (especially knowing her new friend was going to go back to Dawn & Co.), and she didn't want to live without him?

Darryl said she was tough, but I don't know.  I found the shot of her staring down the elevator shaft telling...  Dawn says about her offing herself, made mention of the scars on her wrists...  I think those were hints at Beth's mental state.  She gained some confidence with Darryl but not much.  She now represents another failed project of his (Sophia, Meryl, now Beth)...  I think Beth saying she gets it meant more that Dawn doesn't, and never would.  She's dilusional about the reality of the world now, while Beth sees it as the misery it is, and Beth maybe is consciously choosing at that point not to be in it any longer, and to make sure Dawn's taken out of it too because she's such a POS at heart, as are seemingly most of the people there who aren't in scrubs.

Just my take...  It makes it a little more tragic, but no more so than T-Dawg's sister really, or Jenner, or Jim.  Some folks will inevitably want to just die, by one means or another.  Not being very rational would explain her putting the whole group in danger of a shoot-out with the Grady cops too.  She doesn't care, she just wants to check out.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: December 3, 2014, 01:08 PM »
Okay, but if you follow that logic why not just stab Dawn from behind during the swap?  It was a done deal and Beth would have lost her shot if not for Dawn asking to have the other guy back.  Or why not take a gun from one of your people then shoot Dawn on the way out?  I just think her death was lazy writing at best.  I would love to hear more about what Kirkman was thinking - maybe it just didn't come across for me the way it was intended.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1566 on: December 3, 2014, 03:10 PM »
I think she committed to, uh, committing, when Dawn asked for the guy back...  At that point I think she was only contemplating it, and maybe grabbed the forceps for simply a weapon, in case...  Once Dawn changed things and demanded that guy back, Beth said F it because things weren't going to be good.

I don't think the goal of the forceps was initially to stab Dawn though...  Just so she had something because she was going into it unarmed.  If anything I think she felt bad for Dawn, to a degree, and was trying to reason with her that this is life and it's depressing, and you have to deal with it.

Dawn kind of betrays Beth in a way.  Takes a liberty and a last parting shot, by asking for Beth's friend back as compensation for losing her "ward".  She'd professed all along that the wards were simply a means to an end for her to keep control, while keeping people safer than being out on the street...  Beth maybe bought into that to some degree, but obviously still felt it was wrong and that Dawn was just doing it to keep the peace...  Obviously Dawn wasn't.  She was just another POS like the Governor, or the Termites, or whatever.  Just another person taking advantage of the world as it is rather than facing it for what it is.

Beth's last straw mentally was knowing her friend was going to probably not make it out of there alive.  She snaps, she stabs Dawn and gets shot in the process, etc., etc.  It was her, "**** it" moment.

That's just how I see it though...  no clue if that's how it's intended because I agree it's not explained terribly well.  I think it's subtle, at best.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1567 on: December 3, 2014, 03:20 PM »
I think those were hints at Beth's mental state.  She gained some confidence with Darryl but not much.  She now represents another failed project of his (Sophia, Meryl, now Beth)...

I would straight-up murder a hobo to see Meryl Streep on The Walking Dead.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1568 on: December 3, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Merl?  Meryl?  I can't spell it.  I'd like to see her though.  She'd add acting cred.

Nix that, I was pronouncing it in Rick Voice, like he pronounces Carl's name. :)
« Last Edit: December 3, 2014, 07:39 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1569 on: December 17, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Bring Beth Back! petition

Beth Greene (played by Emily Kinney) was killed off in the mid-season finale in season 5 of The Walking Dead. Her death was far too soon and the writers threw away the potential of a perfectly good character. Her story wasn't over. Emily Kinney and her character don't deserve this. There was so much more to be done with her character and they chose to kill her in a disgusting, unsatifying death that caused more anger and dissapointment than shock and mourning. Beth was a symbol of hope that a lot of women could relate to and see themselves in (especially self-harmers who saw her as someone who overcame their suicidal/depressive feelings). By sloppily killing her it just shows that she was used to further a man's (Daryl's) storyline. We realize that the circumstances she dies in are irreverisble, but this is television. Anything is possible. By signing this petition you can at least show your support for Beth. Let's show Emily Kinney how much we love her and want her back.

55,000 people have signed so far.

**** them all.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: December 17, 2014, 04:02 PM »
A petition?  Really?  I am not a fan of the way they did it, but if that many people care to complain about it then job well done for Kirkman and team.  Getting that massive of a response just shows they did the right thing in having a meaningful death.  They have to get rid of main characters from time to time to keep it exciting and fresh.  Would people rather have seen someone else go?  Rick? Carl? Tyreese? Michone? Daryl?  Carol?  Pick your poison people.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1571 on: December 17, 2014, 04:32 PM »
I like how the petition only has 55,000 signatures when the ratings shares for the show make that number look pathetic.

**** them all indeed.  She was 3rd tier, at best, on the show.

There are definitely two distinctly different camps of fans for TWD I'm noticing.  One of them thinks the show's title is The Walking Darryl.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: December 17, 2014, 10:44 PM »
A petition?  Really?  I am not a fan of the way they did it, but if that many people care to complain about it then job well done for Kirkman and team.  Getting that massive of a response just shows they did the right thing in having a meaningful death.  They have to get rid of main characters from time to time to keep it exciting and fresh.  Would people rather have seen someone else go?  Rick? Carl? Tyreese? Michone? Daryl?  Carol?  Pick your poison people.

I actually would have preferred Tyreese or Sasha. Or Tara, or Rosita or Eugene even. I feel like those characters have sort of come to the end of their own personal journeys whereas Beth could have gone in a number of interesting directions post-Dawn. I kinda felt the same way about Andrea though too, so it's nothing new I guess.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: December 18, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Andrea was a tough loss, but I wasn't happy with what they were doing with her anyway.  Tyreese neds to overcome his inability to kill the living, and predict Sasha dying will finally be a catalyst for that.  Tara & Rosita are too minor to kill off at this point and Eugene is too convenient.  He's actually a really useful character later in the story (comic version anyway), so all that goes out the window if they kill him.  Beth was one more loose end that doesn't map to the comic continuity, so I think she was an easy target in hindsight.  Carol, Maggie, and Michonne are already playing the Lady Butt-kicker role - they didn't really need a 4th.  I wish they had found a better way to off her, but not disappointed in the choice.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: December 18, 2014, 04:27 PM »
I feel Glenn and Maggie are living on borrowed time. Glenn should be next, but he want be alone. I see Maggie going down with him, since she has nothing else