Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 561718 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1815 on: February 15, 2016, 09:16 PM »
Yeah I really liked the episode overall...  Even the fakey rocket blast and stuff, but overall I really enjoyed that whole episode start to finish.  It was fast paced, you felt everyone was in pretty solid danger all the time, even Rick, and you felt like some of the comic stuff coming true just was nice...  Very very fun.

The opening 5 minutes alone, just fun.  Maybe one of the most fun sequences of the whole series.

I find Carol's responsibility for so many deaths, especially of younger people, to be interesting considering how many people love her.  She's basically done one good thing (saving everyone at Terminus).  Outside of that, since S2, she's a broken person who does what she wants.  She's Shane if Shane hadn't died, oddly enough.  Funny how he came to her rescue in S1 and now she's the one who says F it to cooperation.  She's manipulative too in many ways.  She maybe is even more easy to compare to The Governor in that way.  And she's often simply wrong.

But so many people are and that's what is interesting...  Like Morgan.  Morgan has ideals, like Dale, and ideals don't work and cause more trouble than they solve a lot of the time.  Morgan against the Claimers?  I dunno how that turns out then.

Morgan when the Termites are trapped?  He lets em go, and then what?  Someone else is BBQ?

It was nice to see Father Gabriel not be as worthless as a turd.  Eugene is Eugene...  I thought he was maybe on the way out the most.  Even the Glenn thing, they had me on basically every character everywhere being open to their demise.  They don't always do that so well.  Like last year I knew Glenn wasn't dead.  I knew it. 

Anyway, good stuff all around.  And Alexandria may be a much stronger place, though so many are dead.

And man, thank god those 3 are gone...  well, not her, but the other two...  I couldn't take them.  And if you watched Talking Dead, that kid was as obnoxious in real life.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1816 on: February 16, 2016, 12:51 AM »
So someone's spotted a mysterious car in the background, just before the baddies do the nibbling...  Definitely a car comes into picture waaaayyyy in the background.  :-X

Is it a mistake, or was it a really subtle way to say Negan was watching?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1817 on: February 16, 2016, 01:09 PM »
the show already has a baby. It doesn't need another one.

Judith is dead weight, i just hope each week she gets eaten.

As for the episode, I think it is probably the best of the series yet. Sadly that means the next 2-3 episodes will be awful.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:10 PM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1818 on: February 16, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Hah, I won't go that harsh...  She's the "hope" element so I don't HOPE for Judith to become food, but at the same time, it's kinda comical she hasn't become it yet.  I mean, bowlcut can't stay quiet yet Judith is repeatedly passed around under everyone's meat poncho and stays silent?  Really?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1819 on: February 16, 2016, 06:32 PM »
BTW... more meat ponchos.  Why are you NOT doing this trick more often? 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: February 17, 2016, 10:58 PM »
Meat Poncho Villa is an upcoming character, he sues Rick for stealing his idea.

Enid can materialize guns out of thin air.

Is she a genie? Or is it the power of the lord working through her? Because Glen cannot be right about everything, especially something as specific as finding a gun hidden in a church. Unless, Glen is a chosen one. How else could he survive the dumpster?

Rick's exceptional, he's gotten 90% of the town's populace killed within a 3 day period. Anyone else would've gotten Jesse and her kids to another safe building, but he stuck to guns (with another absurd "plan") and pushed them out there  to be a long pork buffet for the walkers.

Sam was Lot's Wife. He stopped, looked back. DOOMED. Pillar of salt..ed...pork. It's disturbing how many fans were rooting for his death. Yeah, he was irritating and never had a chance. But, what kid of kid would? Sophia, Lizzie, her sister...the disappearing other kids from the prison. No kids, no future. Might as well call the human race OVER.

Carl needs better hero armor, like Glen and Rick have.

Why am I posting here again?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20 PM »
Finally took time to watch the mid season premiere and it was as awesome ad advertised.  Lots of suspense throughout and a ton of close calls all around.  I thought for sure that Neegan's goons were gonna kill one of the three and I'd forgotten all about the rocket launcher.  Cool stuff.  I wish the Alpha Wolf had talked a little more about his group and their plans before getting offed.  I wonder if we'll see more of those guys or if we're full on switching over to Neegan now.

I was bummed to see Jesse go, but equally glad they kept that storyline from the comics.  At least the two idiot sons are gone now.  It would have pretty hard to keep the mom around after she lost her kids anyway.  Did I miss something with bowl cut?  I thought he was calling for mom as soon as they left the first house in the previous season, then he's walking around with them for an eternity before he starts getting chatty again.   ???  I agree that was an ill conceived plan from the start.  Seemed like they were walking through town for hours - I know they're walking slow, but I'd like to think the vehicles or wherever they were trying to go wasn't several miles away.

Nice to see Pirate Carl finally arrive.  They skipped Rick losing his hand, so they had to keep the Carl wound around to keep the Grimes family mortal.  Nice tie in to the Doctor gaining some confidence and a good catalyst for them to mass attack the zombies.  It's gonna suck for that actor to have to wear a patch forever now, but "I'm glad they kept that" moment for me.

The only part of the episode I really didn't like was the lake of fire crap.  So many things wrong with that whole bit.  In the apocalypse, it might not be a great idea to waste truckloads of fuel since that's a little scarce.  Know what's even more scarce?  Rocket Propelled Grenades!  They couldn't light the lake on fire with a match?  And since when do zombies love fire more than brains?  I could see the sound and light distracting them momentarily - enough to save the group - but zombies just walk into fires?  Hell, why not just make a big bonfire outside the walls to bring zombies in and torch them like a bug light?  I would have been much happier with Daryl's team just riding in to the rescue with their machine guns the way they saved Glenn.  Speaking of Glenn, does that guy have nine lives or what?

Loved everything else about the episode.  Lots of good deaths without losing any of the core characters.  Hope the aftermath isn't multiple snoozer episodes.

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1822 on: February 19, 2016, 03:36 PM »
And since when do zombies love fire more than brains?  I could see the sound and light distracting them momentarily - enough to save the group - but zombies just walk into fires?

This is part of what I was talking about at our mtg last night.  I really don't understand the zombie rules on this show anymore.  The zombies will either hear the tiniest noise and come, or you can whisper right next to them and they don't notice as long as you are wearing a dead meat poncho.

And the fire stuff?  I know they are attracted to light and heat, but is that enough to distract them when they are 5 feet from food?  I didn't get that part at all...  food, food, oh wait, I'll just walking into this fire now.   ???
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: February 19, 2016, 04:48 PM »
If Daryl and pals had known more about the Wolves, they could left W's on the heads of the dead Negan bikers and wrote "Wolves Not Far".

Zombies don't make sense. They don't have working digestive systems, they keep going without food, water, blood pressure, oxygen. They are rotting away but can bite through denim. They have no reason to be stealthy but sometimes are. They can smell the living...over their own stench? They can and cannot see well.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:52 PM by Scockery »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: February 19, 2016, 06:16 PM »
I'm giving them a pass on the fire lake because of the awesome RPG Biker 'Splosion.  Just this once.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1825 on: February 20, 2016, 12:28 AM »
This is part of what I was talking about at our mtg last night.  I really don't understand the zombie rules on this show anymore.  The zombies will either hear the tiniest noise and come, or you can whisper right next to them and they don't notice as long as you are wearing a dead meat poncho.

And the fire stuff?  I know they are attracted to light and heat, but is that enough to distract them when they are 5 feet from food?  I didn't get that part at all...  food, food, oh wait, I'll just walking into this fire now.   ???

You have meetings to discuss the plot of this show?  Wow!  I thought I was a fan...but I'm no where near this level!  ;D

As far as the fire and what zombies are attracted to...it's pretty established that they are attracted to loud sounds...at least louder than their normal moans and groans.  That's why if you are hiding your scent with a meat poncho, you can whisper to anyone else in your group and the dead don't notice.  (BTW, this is very prevalent in the recent storyline in the comics.)

Also, the average walker's eyesight is not the best...that's another reason the meat poncho works...otherwise you would have to be like William F. Murray and in full make-up like in zombieland.  As with the loud noises, a bright light like the fire would attract zombies and change the direction of a herd even.  Think of how in Land of the Dead, the scavengers would use fireworks to distract zombies.

I'll have to look at the episode again, but I don't think any of the zombies that Rick and Company were fighting just turned and went towards the fire...but the ones that were just shambling around inside the walls were attracted to the fire.

Overall, I thought the episode was awesome!  From what they talked about on the Talking Dead, the season is only going to ramp up from here.  That's going to be insane!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1826 on: February 20, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Zombies don't make sense. They don't have working digestive systems, they keep going without food, water, blood pressure, oxygen. They are rotting away but can bite through denim. They have no reason to be stealthy but sometimes are. They can smell the living...over their own stench? They can and cannot see well.

Here's a great article by Cracked on why zombies would be awful:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

I think you just gotta embrace that they make no sense.  They exist to tell a story.  They act however they're supposed to act to scare you.  There are a few rough guidelines, but outside that, the writers have a lot of freedom.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: February 20, 2016, 06:41 PM »

You have meetings to discuss the plot of this show?  Wow!  I thought I was a fan...but I'm no where near this level!  ;D 

It was just the monthly Minnesota JD meet up.  Along with Star Wars, we discussed zombies, magicians, mechanical bulls, and other pertinent topics.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: February 21, 2016, 10:11 PM »
#Richonne

They found Jesus at last!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:12 PM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: February 21, 2016, 10:23 PM »
Damn good episode!!!

Did anyone get a little Pulp Fiction vibe?  The scene where Rick and Daryl popped the walker while standing over Jesus certainly made me think that.

Didn't really see the end coming but I guess it makes sense seeing how the episode began.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.