Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 558013 times)

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1830 on: February 22, 2016, 12:57 AM »
I had a smile on my face every second Jesus was on screen. So glad he's finally in the show.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:58 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1831 on: February 22, 2016, 08:02 AM »
When you find the mother lode of supplies in a box truck, what you do is drive directly back home via the safest known route - i.e. - the way you just came from since you didn't see any trouble.  You don't continue exploring.  That aggravated me to no end.

Otherwise, pretty strong episode.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: February 22, 2016, 09:42 AM »
 I only care about #Richonne in so far as I'm afraid that they just signed Michonne's Death Warrant.  It seemed a foregone conclusion - they've pretty much been living as a family unit since they left Terminus.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: February 22, 2016, 09:46 AM »
When you find the mother lode of supplies in a box truck, what you do is drive directly back home via the safest known route - i.e. - the way you just came from since you didn't see any trouble.  You don't continue exploring.  That aggravated me to no end.

Otherwise, pretty strong episode.

I kept thinking the EXACT same thing. They were just asking for trouble.

I don't think they can kill Michonne unless/until the show and/or comic come to an end. Can't kill Rick, Carl or Daryl either. Anyone else I think is probably fair game.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1834 on: February 22, 2016, 04:51 PM »
To my surprise, last night was enjoyable. Very much like the Jesus character so far.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1835 on: February 22, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Agree with you Bill.  Likewise that truck wouldn't roll unless keys were in the on position...  It seems dumb for Rick to leave them in the ignition but given not driving right home I can't say he wouldn't have left them in it.

Otherwise overall fun.  My mother is obsessed with the show and Richonne surprised her.  I thought I read somewhere she gets around in the comic sort of?  I don't read it so I'm not sure where I heard that info.  It's near she hooked up with Rick though.  He needed to get laid.  It'd be frustrating knowing only Glenn and the Abraham pretty much were.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:46 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: February 22, 2016, 07:41 PM »
I read up to the end of the prison, the comic has more sex than the show. IIRC Michonne gets on with Tyreese. Obviously that's not gonna happen.

That damned candy machine that was the problem. Doc and her soda request. "WHAT THE HELL IS POP?" According to the map here,  Georgian Daryl is more likely to use coke as a generic term. Alexandria would be in a mostly soda zone.

This should've been the midseaon premiere, but they had one too many episode for the first half (blame the Morgan flashback one for that?).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1837 on: February 23, 2016, 07:45 PM »
From what I've heard from friends who've stayed with the whole thing, the comic in general is more graphic (no pun) overall...  More sex, more graphically violent (Maggie's encounter with the Governor), generally more brutal...  I wanted to get into it, but man, it'd cost quite a bit to get into it, haha.  I got the first volume for a fairly cheap price and loved it, but I have a tough time dumping $ into comics I guess.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: February 24, 2016, 06:37 AM »
Jesse, I read the comics up to the abandonment of the prison.  I am of the same thoughts as you regarding spending on comics.  Luckily, I found the 1st volume of the Compendium and read that for around $30 and then turned around and resold it.  Eventually I'll get the other two volumes and do the same thing.

I can't justify spending on one issue after another.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: February 24, 2016, 08:45 AM »
You could always check your local library for the big compendiums or the TPBs. I read way up into the 100's of issues without ever buying a thing. probably behind by a couple dozen issues by now...it might be time for me to check those out again as well.

Many modern libraries have extensive "graphic novel" sections in the adult fiction section. Its all comics to me!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: February 25, 2016, 06:23 PM »
I had a smile on my face every second Jesus was on screen. So glad he's finally in the show.

+1 +2 +3

Finally caught last night's episode and so happy to see Paul Jesus finally join the cast.  Isn't it supposed to be "Paul Monroe" though?  Why Paul Rovia? Oh well.  The guy they found to play him seems great so far and totally captures his personality from the comics, from the kick butt fighting ability to him playing/testing the others.  I don't know how he unties himself, catches up to the truck on foot, and somehow jumps on top of it, but that and him showing up untied again at the end was awesome.  I wish Rick and Daryl were a little more shocked about it all - I would have been questioning it the whole way back instead of arguing about whether or not they should be bringing in new people (I get this was a plot device, with Jesus pretending to be out cold while he listened in).  I remember wondering in the comic if this was really supposed to be "The Jesus" at first given some of the awesome things he can do, but he's no more "super" than Morgan. 

These last two are a couple of my favorites episodes across the whole series - I hope they can keep up the pace.  Great side story with Carl/Deanna as well - I love character building stuff like that mixed in.

My only question was how in the heck they developed/printed a picture with Pirate Carl and Judith for the picture frame and how/why are they using a baby monitor for Judith?  With a fairly finite supply of batteries left in the world, wouldn't you maybe save those for radios or flashlights or something?  And yeah, couldn't believe they didn't take the truck straight back home, especially after having to retake it a second time.  Dumb dumb dumb.

For those that don't read the comic, they just passed issue #150, so there is a lot of material there.  I picked up the graphic novels for the first 100ish issues.  You can often find them at a library or half price books for pretty cheap.  I think I got each GN for $6-10, so much cheaper than what I would have spent on individual issues (like I do now  ::)).  I just got so I couldn't wait that long for another piece of the story and it's still just $3 an issue.  You also get some interesting commentary from Kirkman at the end of each issue, and he address topics from both the comic and the tv show, which is often fun to read.

Anyway, Andrea is still alive in the comics, and she's been Rick's love interest for a long time now.  Since she's dead in the show (and to create added interracial hype) it makes sense to make it Rick and Michonne, but I don't think that spells her death.  Michonne gives Tyreese a BJ in the comic, but he doesn't last long after that.  He gets decapitated by the Governor before they leave the prison (basically the same scene with Hershel in the show).  She eventually hooks up with a character we haven't met yet named Ezekiel, but I wouldn't say she gets around based on just those two interactions.  The comic was a bit more graphic with that kind of stuff in earlier issues, but not so much the last few years.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1841 on: February 25, 2016, 06:59 PM »
On the print-out, they have solar power in Alexandria, so I can believe they made a printer work since they have light and stuff.

Michonne gives Tyreese a BJ in the comic, but he doesn't last long after that.

Hey, who would?  Oh you meant he died?

Unfortunately my library's not that well stocked.  Then again it's just the local podunk town library too, not the Carnegie down in the city, but I have seen some of the issues at half-price books now and then.  They seem to want a lot more on those than others, for obvious reasons.  They seemed on par with what you can get stuff online if you look around, more or less.

I used to get some sweet deals on West End Games sourcebooks at HPBs here, and miss those...  They don't seem to get those in much now.  They're not overly valuable books, but getting them there was always cheaper than Ebay where people want the outside cent on that stuff anymore, and it just doesn't sell well.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: February 26, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Ha!  Yeah he doesn't last long on both accounts.   ;)

You can buy the first 20 GNs for a little over $10 each through this guy...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: February 28, 2016, 11:31 PM »
In something that surprises few, Xander Berkeley plays a  character who is a jerk. Rick is foolishly enough to save him.

End with another Rick plan that will be disastrous. I'd sooner find a winch truck and go fishing for the cargo truck.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: February 29, 2016, 01:01 AM »
Maggie or Glenn?

Can it be Lucille on TV?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:06 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within