Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 558253 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #2025 on: November 27, 2016, 09:33 PM »
I'm tapping out halfway through this week's episode. Even worse than last week's.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: November 27, 2016, 10:43 PM »
It was okay episode for a show that gets 20 to 22 new episodes a year.

However, TWD gets 16 episodes...so...I dunno.

Kill anyone who approaches our camp...or is intrigued by the ringing bells...oops! At least they weren't some sort of man-hating crazy cult.

Take out her out in the woods and shoot her, so we won't have to drag her body out...or something. I dunno.

When they cut to the final flachback scene of her and Heath on the bridge, for a second there I was thinking she imagined Oceanside and this was mostly a fantasy episode. I don't know why they'd do that, but...

The fake-out bridge walker was trite....oh, did he die...oh, he didn't.

The bold thing would've been to kill Tara off with no one knowing her fate. Or both her and Heath.

We're supposed to accept she walked all the way back despite the indication that she and Heath had driven a decent ways.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:50 PM by Scockery »

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: November 27, 2016, 11:07 PM »
Awful.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2028 on: November 27, 2016, 11:12 PM »
I have not watched an episode of this show since the skull-bashing premiere.  Every time I think I should catch up, I read up on the comments in here...

Did anybody else find that episode to be mostly craptastic?
Yeah, this was another pretty boring episode.
Even worse than last week's.
Awful.

So yeah, pretty glad I haven't kept up I guess.

I'll be sure to just keep on reading here and start back up once something interesting and worthwhile happens. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #2029 on: November 27, 2016, 11:25 PM »
Horrible writing.  A lesbian wakes up in a town full of only women... and leaves.   :P

Snark aside, it was a pretty awful episode.  I'm really happy I watch this on DVR after Westworld these days.  I'd be pissed if I wasted an entire hour on this show.  But maybe it'll pick up next week.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: November 27, 2016, 11:45 PM »
Horrible writing.  A lesbian wakes up in a town full of only women... and leaves.   :P

Which is why I had a theory that the community was all Tara's imagination.

Her mind created a male-less society that would seem to be appeal to her ("I can't believe I'm asking this, but where are all the men."), but she was unwelcome...that echos what Heath was discussing...everyone chooses themselves over others.  The violent little girl mirrors the one who killed her girlfriend at the prison attack in season 4. Tara's obvious lying, which means she'll be forced to tell them truth (confession).  The women telling Tara of retaliation from the Saviors is the fear that the Saviors weren't wiped out which was always in the back of her mind. (How could the women have specifically known that the satellite station was a Savior outpost? Tara never said "Saviors" to them, IIRC).  The woman who helped her represented Tara's hope and humanity (back to the conversation between her and Heath).

So none of it really happened. The still river waters are part of the proof. She didn't get washed away to any sandy beach. The bracelet, the spear...she found all that abandoned somewhere in a cabin or tent on the other side of the river.  Tara swearing never to tell anyone about their camp was herself admitting it was a delusion.

Of course,  as far as the show goes...it did happen. But whatever...I'm trying to make this episode more interesting.  :P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: November 28, 2016, 12:22 AM »
Jeff, this season after the premiere has been mind-numbingly bad. Like, "I might not watch again" bad. You're missing literally nothing.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: November 28, 2016, 06:24 AM »
The best thing from that episode was it didn't go on and on and on with Negan showing how much of a bad person he is.  He wasn't in it, and I didn't have to listen to him.

Other than that...I wonder if it did anything for the story.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:51 AM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: November 28, 2016, 07:49 AM »
Yep, total snooze fest. Seems like all they are trying to do is show off all these new communities. I guess they are building for the "war" after winter finale which for the first time since I've stated watching the show, I sort of looking forward too.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: November 28, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Yeah, as I bemoaned after the premiere, this is not the same show anymore. I used to look forward to a new episode more than anything on TV but now I find it barely watchable. And not even remotely enjoyable.

I think they have hit the point where the comic blueprint has become a tedious burden. This show was at its best creatively, IMHO, when they were kind of doing there own thing. Having something play out over many issues in a comic is not the same as doing it with episodic TV. I swear, I feel like the writers and Dalrymple are just sitting around a big table every week talking about how they can stall things out.

And so we get stuff like this. Looking forward to that inevitable Father Gabriel episode!  ::)

And WTF is "PPP" supposed to mean?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 28, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Princess Penelope's People's calling card?

We'll be introduced to her soon.

How about Pied Piper's Pizza?

Er...Pirates of Penzance Patrol?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2036 on: November 29, 2016, 08:40 AM »
I don't know...the past few episodes have been a bit of a slow burn, but you need to develop characters so that you can care about them before the writers and producers kill them off.  Also, it takes a while to establish that our main characters are living in a larger world than they know...and we've also gotten a glimpse on how far Negan's reach actually is.

He is by far the worst bad guy in the comics....and I like how they've translated the character to TV.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 29, 2016, 12:59 PM »
Other than that...I wonder if it did anything for the story.

I haven't read any of the comics, but my assumption is that at this point they need to do two things:

1) Elevate some of the second tier characters into main characters
2) Continue to establish new settlements that will eventually all have to band together to deal with the Saviors, like they did with the King Ezekiel episode. 

To me, this episode was definitely boring, but probably important in terms of advancing the story for the later part of the season.

EDIT:  Just read Matt's post - so yeah, what he said.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 01:00 PM by Rob »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #2038 on: November 29, 2016, 01:36 PM »
You can build up secondary characters in much more interesting ways.  This latest episode was just dull and badly written.  First, unless you have superhuman strength, pulling at a duffle bag on the bottom of a pile of sand isn't going to cause that pile to collapse.  You want to UNLEASH THE SAND ZOMBIES then find a believable way to do it.

Then you send two women out to shoot Tara in the back.  And when her back is turned, they DON'T shoot her in the back.  They wait until she's far enough away to miss her.  More believable would have been for Tara to run off unprompted, but I guess that'd make her character suspicious instead of the free spirit she is.

Then the two women charged with ensuring the safety of the colony and the lives of everybody living there GIVE UP because there's a dozen walkers on the bridge between them and Tara.  These two women each strapping semi-auto rifles.  But she's 50 yards away now... it's a lost cause.  Let her spread the word of our secret colony to the people who murdered all our menfolk. 

My point - they could write much better, more engaging episodes.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: November 29, 2016, 01:43 PM »
Absolutely.  The point about shooting Tara in the back... that kind of thing is an issue all the time.  The idea that any of these guys ever escape from bad guys with guns is silly.  I mean, it's not Dr. Evil and the shark tank level silly, but if someone has a gun and you're their captive and they want to kill you, they're just going to do it.  No fuss, no drama, no long pauses, no opportunities to run away while they miss their shots at an ever increasing distance. 

Hell, there wasn't even any real reason to march Tara out of the camp to shoot her, other than the idea of not having to dispose of the body.