Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 561506 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #2040 on: November 29, 2016, 08:02 PM »
I would not be surprised at all if the October 23rd premier of this next season of TWD has LOWER ratings than last season.   I honestly hope it does...

I predict you're going to be hugely disappointed.  Whoever died is going to be spoiled within seconds on social media.  No person who watches the show is going to want that information spoiled.  So I'd expect the premiere to get the show's highest ratings.

Ok - so I was off by a couple of episodes, but TWD, according to this article, has now hit series low ratings...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/11/27/five-reasons-why-the-walking-deads-ratings-are-crashing-to-season-3-levels/

Good job on that cliff hanger that just pissed people off AMC/Gimple. Seems like you guys here on JediDefender aren't liking it that much either. I totally watch Westworld now and maybe catch little bits here and there when my wife is watching it - she herself has moved into "Hate Watch" territory like we both are with Fear The Walking Dead.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: November 30, 2016, 12:47 AM »
I don't hate TWD, but they seem to be stuck on the  formula of just building up to a midseason finale and then a season finale, which is getting to be a problem with many shows. (It makes me miss episodic television).  And they're back to separating characters, leaving the audience to wonder when everyone is getting back together...even though there's arguably too many characters on the show to NOT have them split up into different arcs. But can lead to drawn out stories.  As they said on Talking Dead, we last saw Tara 9 episodes a go!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2042 on: November 30, 2016, 12:54 AM »
I don't hate it either and yeah, that seems to be an issue with the show...  It could do more right now but I also don't think it is as bad as this thread has implied.  Some of it, yes.  And I cannot watch a constant Rick cuckold either, but I also can see why this requires some building.  I don't foresee the Savior angle being as quickly dealt with as the Governor angle was.  This seems like a problem that will be around for more than a season or two even, and that the build up to what they do has to be there.

That said, some new characters and offings that aren't necessarily of the ballbat variety could help.

And less Hardwick...  in all angles of life really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: November 30, 2016, 12:26 PM »
I've been critical on this season's episodes after the premiere, but that is far from saying it's a "Hate Watch" show like FTWD. (Most) Every show has it's ups and downs.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2044 on: November 30, 2016, 11:45 PM »
I tend to marathon FTWD here and there, so I can FF it if I'm bored, but I do like keeping up with it...  Well, like is a strong word.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: December 1, 2016, 02:35 PM »
I actually didn't have as much of a problem with this week's episode.  It moved along at an okay pace.  Sure there was some "suspend disbelief" stuff, but that has been par for the course all along.

My only hope is that the payoff starts to come before too long.  Unless knowing the individual characters in these other camps is critical, there is probably a quicker way of getting to the likely step of banding together against The Saviors.  We already know The Hilltop knows of other groups.  All they would need is one of these other groups to connect the dots to make it happen.

But they do need to tighten things up and get back to the core characters like Michonne kicking ass, Eugene building a bomb factory, etc.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: December 4, 2016, 01:15 PM »
+1  I liked this episode.  Tara's not my favorite character, but her couple of funny moments and another camp of survivors some where was a little interesting.  At least there was some shooting and zombies in this episode. 

I really don't think the cliff hanger last season is driving the lower ratings.  Part of it is probably just age of the show and part of it are some of these slow, less action oriented episodes.  I'm still enjoying the show - just not as much as prior seasons.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: December 4, 2016, 04:03 PM »

And WTF is "PPP" supposed to mean?

Pee Pee Pants
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: December 4, 2016, 10:56 PM »
Tonight's episode left me at loss for words because I used them all screaming at the tv when Carl blew it before the opening credits rolled.

Spencer finds magic Latin note. Okay. Sure.

Aaron and Rick find...well who knows? Would've been interesting (maybe next week) but we have to listen to Negan yak away for long periods.

The iron! how horrible...unless you've seen someone's throat slit in front of you by folks who are gonna eat you. Or were almost raped by a scuzz bag. As far as Carl and Daryl got that scene should've been shurg worthy for them.

One bullet. Guess Rosita did forget about the shell casing from bullet Carl shot at the infirmary. (may not have been the same caliber)

Speed bumps of the dead!

Negan likes all kinds of ladies! But is probably shooting blanks.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: December 5, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Yeah, you go to all that trouble and risk everyone's lives including your own, and then you don't take the shot when he is right there in front of you?? WTF Coral? Was he in your blind spot or something? How many open shots at this guy are they going to pass up?

Are people free to leave anytime they want as long as they are paid up? why would he bother to lie about where the new stuff came from? You can't keep a secret that fifty people already know. People must know there are other communities out there. Seems like chilling in the kingdom would be a hell of a lot more fun than some dirty factory where guys are taking a hot iron to your face if you step out of line.

I naturally assumed that it was Jesus who sprang Daryl, but Hardwicke acted like it was some big mystery, so maybe it was D or his ex? Do I care? Meh

Guessing Michonne will arrive to help Daryl and or Jesus escape, Rick and Aaron will take the zombie boat ride, and Negan ends up taking Judith back to the Sanctuary to help keep the Grimes in line.

Almost cannot watch anymore scenes with Spencer he is such an unrepentant douche. Please kill this jackass as soon as possible.

Listening to Rosita tear into Eugene was like watching Vincent Donofrio getting beaten by bars of soap in Full Metal Jacket...but hopefully lights a fire under his ass.

Please don't leave us hanging on Heath's fate next week!  :D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: December 5, 2016, 01:50 PM »
Wow...Negan is a bad guy...haven't we covered that?

I guess this episode was marginally better than the past 5, but not by much.

I see Negan's people and I keep thinking, they can't stand the guy, why not just overthrow him.  It's not that hard and they have the numbers.  If he died, they have supplies already and a network to continue gathering. 

I loved seeing Rick for like 5 minutes.  Wow, does he have much of a role this season?

Michonne/Rosita are redeeming simply because they aren't taking any crap and rolling over to die.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: December 5, 2016, 03:21 PM »
I don't have an answer to why Alexandria, Hill Top, x, y, or z wouldn't just take their first attempt and kill Negan.

However, I do think it makes sense that the other members of the Saviors like that they have a steady supply of goods coming to them from other communities and don't know that if they overthrow Negan that the other communities will fear the new leader enough to do so.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2016, 03:22 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: December 5, 2016, 03:53 PM »

However, I do think it makes sense that the other members of the Saviors like that they have a steady supply of goods coming to them from other communities and don't know that if they overthrow Negan that the other communities will fear the new leader enough to do so.

I've thought of that, but also wonder why a person would subjugate themselves to that kind of abuse.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: December 5, 2016, 04:40 PM »
I guess I'm in the minority in liking last night's episode a lot more than the previous two.  Lots more action and we are finally getting a lit bit of what's going on with everyone instead of these character-specific episodes.  I'm liking that Carl made it to Negan's HQ - I figured they were going to use Daryl instead, so it was cool to see this come to life.  Yeah, Carl probably should have shot Negan, but where's the fun in that?  And keep in mind, he's a scared kid with one eye.

As for overthrowing Negan, I don't think it's all that simple and that's what I think they're trying to portray.  So far, we know he  gives you an iron to the face for minor infractions/fun, beats people's head's in as an introduction, and is willing to kill off every man in a community that acts up.  His enforcers have it pretty good (despite random abuse/scares to keep them in line), so they're probably not looking to overthrow him.  I think he's got most of the saviors sold on his dictatorship being better off than people being on their own as well.

As for communities rising up against him, I think that was the point of the previous episode where they let us know that all the men were slaughtered. They've demonstrated a few times now that if you are the person committing the infraction, it might be someone else who receives the punishment.  If you're Rick with a girlfriend, a teenage son, and an infant daughter, it'd be pretty scary to think about what he could do to any/all of them if you tried, but failed to take him out, or what his successor might do even if you got to him.  If you care about anyone in your community other than yourself, it would be tough to do much against him knowing the consequences.

Agree with everyone else on getting rid of Spencer.  I hate that Self-entitled whiner. 

Rosita and the one bullet thing is beyond stupid.  Way too much storyline about it at this point.  That single shot better have a big payout for us in the near future.

There was another clip of paralyzed-with-fear Rick in next week's preview, so I think you're right with him holding onto Judith for a while.  It's not like he doesn't have half a dozen wives sitting around to help take care of her. 

I think the build up to the mid-season finale is going to be a fun ride. 
« Last Edit: December 7, 2016, 02:56 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: December 6, 2016, 06:25 PM »
I figure Negan's created an environment where everyone is in self-preservation mode. Within his group, those high in the pecking order don't want to risk being on the outs if he's removed so they help maintain Negan's order. I imagine Dwight and his kind have engendered a lot of animus and would be pitchforked once the status quo changes. And those who have a lot to gain could be fearful of retribution by loyalists. And some just might be content with the oppression  because outsiders who have to provide protection payment have it worse.

Ditto with "Spencer's a d!ck".