Author Topic: How Many Repaints Are Too Many?  (Read 5837 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
How Many Repaints Are Too Many?
« on: November 4, 2010, 08:57 PM »
I was thinking the other day, and then again tonight...  How many repaints of something are too many to own?

This sort of applies to all the lines, but in general, are you trying to cut things down to one version of a vehicle?  Would you want Wedge and Luke's Snowspeeder, or just one version?  Would an Imperial AT-TE sway you to pick one up even though it's an EU design?  Or is that just too many?  Is the new AT-RT worth keeping the old ones around at all? 

I'm sort of hitting a crossroads on vehicles I guess...  Things like the Jedi Fighter have gotten out of control for me, to the point where I'm not buying them any longer.  I figure, if Ir eally want a deco variation of a ship, I'll get it down the road.  I had so many ROTS fighters that I'm not reluctant to buy ANY JSF at this point.

What's your breaking point with all the repaints?  Does a vehicle's size matter?

I really want the new Boil/AT-RT, but at this point I'm reluctant to buy it because I have 3 unique AT-RT's hanging around.  Same goes with the Freeco...  Do I really care?  It's to-scale, but honestly, do I need a 4th AT-RT?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Repaints Are Too Many?
« Reply #1 on: November 4, 2010, 09:42 PM »
I LOVE me my Transformer repaints going back to G1, but ya - I'm not too keen on SW vehicle repaints for the most part other than the 3 different classes of Jedi Starfighters of which I'm thouroughly confused on and have no clue which ones I own....even though I do have a spreadsheet.  Being colorblind doesn't help.  I'm okay with Gunships and X-Wings being repainted too for some reason.  Don't care for Snowspeeders or AT-TEs repaints.

I've no interest in the dlx repaints....big pass on all of them, but if they were brought back down to $10 where they should be - then that might be a different story.

Shadow BMF or ATAT/AT-ST?  Not sure Hasbro would ever do that, but black is my favorite "color" and I'd probably be all over that.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: November 4, 2010, 10:24 PM »
I'm not a completist when it comes to vehicles so I don't mind repaints so much as along as they are/were in the movie or TV series and not some made up Hasbro just-off-screen paint scheme in order to justify the tooling.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2010, 10:38 PM »
With vehicles, it's three. I stop after two. As for figures, it dunno. One re-paint is annoying though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 4, 2010, 10:47 PM »
It really just depends on if I like something or not.  There are sometimes new repaints I prefer over the old ones, and vice versa.  I don't feel inclined to need to have every paint design... for example, the AT-AP.  I prefer the first version that came out in the TAC line. I don't need the CW battle pack one, or the new repaint that's out now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2010, 12:21 AM »
I'm in the same boat where somethign comes along and I like it better...  For instance the highly unlikely, but possible, Imperial AT-TE...  If Hasbro put the AT-TE out with a pretty simple "grey" deco, no Republic red, and only a couple Imp logos and some actual weathering because it's an older piece of armor...  Well, I'd be compelled to buy it.

EU perhaps, but it's a deco I'd prefer ont he vehicle, ironically.  I have 3 AT-TE's, and I'd still be driven to buy a 4th I think.

At the same time...  Jedi Fighters.  They're everywhere.  They're like fly crap.

I'm all for them being made to get the obscurity of a Cloud Car, but I'm to the point I just don't buy JSF's. :(  I even like them a lot...  But how many can one person own?  Where would I even ponder hanging them all?  I'm sure all together they must look awesome, but there are just so many.

The more "important" teh vehicle is to me, I think the more likely I am to get a repaint too...  Snowspeeders, I'll probably buy whatever they throw at me.  Prequal stuff I'm less likely to care.

I have that issue though, where something comes along I like better, and then I'm hanging onto the one I have now that I want less.  Kind of sucks.

Interesting "3 ship limit" you set too Anton...  That's a different way of looking at it too.

Looking at my vehicle stash, and again since I don't generally buy it unless it's to-scale, I should be limited, but I see that I have LOTS of certain ships.  Some bought with the idea of customizing.  The way the line has gone on and on though, I really probably have way too many ships. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2010, 09:24 AM »
I am now pretty much a "1 of every type" kinda person - so that to me means I try and stick away from most repaints - also while we are on the note, I am an opener that gives everything to my son to play with.

Things that have made me buy repaints - skittle clones, and jedi star fighters and that is about it.  The clones make sense - they are in the movies.  The starfighters, while not all of them are in the movies, I think it is a good concept for each jedi to have their own starfighter.  That being said, I think the last star fighter I purchased was Aayla's - so it has been a while.  I do not buy each version/class of each jedi's star fighter - I figure if they have one ship to fly around in that is good enough for them.

So, I am not going to re-buy the new repainted 3 legged walker, or the trade federation tank thing - 1 is enough - my son can use his imaginiation for the rest and keep resurrecting the the same one over and over again each time he wants one to blow up   ;D   same for the deluxe type vehicles - I already have it, I don't need more.

Figures are the same, I hate re-buying figures, I am pretty frugal in my collecting habbits.  However, one character that I would possibly re-buy if repainted and came with different accessories would be the CW Aurra Sing.  I really, really like what they are doing with her character, and I really, really liked the dark look they gave her in the last episode she was in where she was attempting to assasinate Amidala.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 5, 2010, 09:56 AM »
I'll take repaints over repacks any day of the week.

I am a diehard Completist, so I'll purchase anything that is remotely new or different. If that means 5 JSF's and 3 Gunships, I'm down with that.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 5, 2010, 10:45 AM »
I'm sort of in the same boat as Jesse, where as I'm a little more forgiving with OT than PT stuff for some reason.  I'd likely re-buy the Snowspeeder in any variety of flavors, if they made Wedge's and others.  If I had the room, it would probably be the same with X-Wings.  As it is, I have the original FX version (packed away/handed down to our daughter), the Dagobah version, and the recent Wedge version.  A lot of ships like that I'd have to pass on just due to space.

Like others, the Jedi starfighters is sort of the "straw the broke the camel's back" thing for me as well.  I really like the starfighters (all of them actually), so at a time I bought a number of the ROTS version.  After running out of space and re-prioritizing (thinking how many of these do I really need?) I unloaded all of them but the basic Anakin and Obi-Wan versions.  I'll admit, I've been tempted to grab more of the CW version (which may be my favorite of the Jedi starfighters), but so far have just stuck with Anakin and Obi-Wan again.  I almost grabbed the Ahsoka fighter once, and I'd be tempted by Kit Fisto's or Plo Koon's since I really like those characters, but have passed on all others so far.  I think the repaints sometimes give good ships a bad rap though, as the CW starfighter is one of the nicest toys we've had in recent years and accurate as well - it just seems like we see them all the time, so it loses its luster a bit.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #9 on: November 5, 2010, 12:33 PM »
I take it on a case by case basis.  I bought a bunch of the ROTS version Jedi Starfighters and each one looked good.  The extra Obi-Wan fighter is now being piloted by Ayla Secure and the extra Anakin starfighter is piloted by my Clone Wars armor Saesee Tiin.  I even purchased the Darth Vader version.

I passed on all the other versions of the ARC-170 and only have the ROTS version...just wasn't too thrilled about the others.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: November 5, 2010, 02:19 PM »
The problem with becoming a "1 of every type" kind of guy though, like was mentioned, is that something better may come down the line that you want...  And youv'e already got your "one".  Now what?  :(

It sucks selling off a fighter for a loss (or not at all because nobody's wanting to buy). 

That's the only problem with the one of every vehicle plan I think...  That chance you'll see one later that you want more than the one you have.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 5, 2010, 06:54 PM »
The problem with becoming a "1 of every type" kind of guy though, like was mentioned, is that something better may come down the line that you want...  And youv'e already got your "one".  Now what?  :(

then you break the rule from time to time like I did when it is worth it  ;D - like in the case of the new snowspeeder.  I had the Target one already that came with Zev, but I liked this one too much and it had enough upgraded features to warrant the purchase. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 5, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Well, I get one of each vehicle that comes out, no matter what, but even I am getting tired of the Jedi Starfighter repaints.

I think Hasbro should commit to producing the correct corresponding Astromech for any JSF repaint they produce - or start packing the droid in.

I think if they had to do that, the JSF repaints might stop.

I'm very pleased that we're getting Obi-Wan and Ahsoka's droids, but I highly doubt we'll ever get Plo Koon or Kit Fisto's droids.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 6, 2010, 08:04 AM »
I'm very pleased that we're getting Obi-Wan and Ahsoka's droids, but I highly doubt we'll ever get Plo Koon or Kit Fisto's droids.

I thought those came out with them in the first WM exclusive Droid Factory wave.  The wave that built C-3px

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #14 on: November 6, 2010, 10:59 AM »

I thought those came out with them in the first WM exclusive Droid Factory wave.  The wave that built C-3px

I think he means Clone Wars style.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise