Author Topic: How Many Repaints Are Too Many?  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Repaints Are Too Many?
« Reply #15 on: November 6, 2010, 01:45 PM »
I don't collect vehicles, but I think it's annoying enough when figures are repainted and made into "new" characters (Ex: 2007 TAC Mace Windu repainted to make the dark-skinned Geonosian Arena Jedi in '09, then into Nincanas Tu in '10).

It's easier to repaint vehicles and make a "new" vehicle and keep the accuracy, but it's harder to do the same with a uniquely sculpted figure.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: November 6, 2010, 11:16 PM »
I actually loved getting those two Jedi...   :-\  I would've only preferred cloth skirts so they weren't limited at the legs by the plastic skirt.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 7, 2010, 05:25 PM »
If I like something, I may always get it depending on the price. I like Pax-what's-his-face even though he was an inaccurate version of the Episode 1 character, him being a recolored super articulated Greedo was cool with me, because I liked that Greedo mold. I'd give most stormtroopers a shot, too, if they used a good mold.

Actually, I might buy something repainted I know I like already over something new, simply because the Star Wars line is still hit/miss with me.

I dislike all the Jedi Starfighters. To be fair, I've never held a Clone Wars version in my hands (or Clone Wars modified Anakin model). But the movie AOTC and ROTS models do nothing for me. I dislike the assymterical astromech droids, and another reason could be because that the OT had real uniformed pilots and the Jedi jump in their rides robes and all, with a metal head band on. Somehow I doubt ANH would have the same effect if Luke stayed in his Tatooine duds and donned a metal halo. But that's really off topic.

I rarely buy vehicles anyway, most of the ones I've gotten over the past few years were used and I prefer ground based items anyway. I was tempted to get the previous blue-greay CLONE WARS Trade Federation AAT before they all disappear. But in that case, it clashes with my 30th anniversary one...and the vehicle is just okay, not great.
d

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 8, 2010, 01:35 AM »
I'm very pleased that we're getting Obi-Wan and Ahsoka's droids, but I highly doubt we'll ever get Plo Koon or Kit Fisto's droids.

I thought those came out with them in the first WM exclusive Droid Factory wave.  The wave that built C-3px

I think he means Clone Wars style.

Yes, I mean in the 3D Clone Wars style.

I display all my loose stuff by movie. Then I have a separate cabinet for the 3D Clone Wars stuff. Since the JSFs with the droid socket in the middle is a 3D CW creation, that version of the vehicle gets put there.

I was thinking about this issue a bit more and I've decided to change my vote slightly...

I'm okay with repaints (and repacks) as long as they are used to keep the price-point of a vehicle sub-line down at a reasonable price.

Quite frankly, I see no reason why the Deluxe Line shouldn't still be at $11.99 and the Assault Vehicle line shouldn't still be at $19.99.

When you have so many repaints/repacks making up a sub-line, it's hard (at least in my mind) for Hasbro to justify the price increase. Two-thirds of the vehicles released in the "Shadows of the Dark Side" packaging have been repaints or repacks - Fighter Tank, AAT, AT-AP, Plo Koon JSF, Kit Fisto JSF, Xanadu Blood, Anakin JSF and Obi-Wan JSF - leaving only the Cloud Car, Snowspeeder, Hyena Bomber and Swamp Speeder as the only truly new entries.

Seriously, when only 33% of your sub-line is new sculpts/tooling, shouldn't the other 67% of the releases being repacks/repaints help to keep the overall costs of that sub-line down?

The Deluxe Line started off strong this year with new sculpts like the Naboo Mini-Cruiser, Pirate Bike and Mando Speeder Bike (sorta on that last one) - and they accompanied those with the repaint of the Clone Wars Speeder Bike and a modified BARC Speeder. But then the followed up those five with the Freeco Bike, Droid Scout Tank and AT-RT and there's also a BARC Speeder repaint on the way as well. So even if you put the BARC w/Sidecar into the "new" category, you're at only 44% of the releases being new sculpting/tooling. That's pathetic. For $17.99, every one of the deluxe figure releases should be 100% new.

So I can appreciate Hasbro putting repaints and repacks into the line and for the most part I'm okay with it - but only if it's used to TRULY keep the prices down.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: November 8, 2010, 02:06 AM »
Yes, to clarify my conundrum some, this isn't a criticism of Hasbro repainting stuff...  That's life in this hobby.  Repaints = new weird ****.  If 5 Jedi Fighters is what it took to get a Cloud Car, then make 5 repainted Jedi Fighters in every color of the rainbow.  I wanted that Cloud Car, and it's glorious.

This is more the collecting dilemma of where do you draw the line on buying them...  even if you like the ship.

For me, the JSF's are to-scale, so I'm interested.  But I can't justify that many JSF's...  I just can't fathom where I'd put them all. 

But to be equally fair, I've bought multiples of the same ship sometimes with the hope of making a custom deco one...  usually OT stuff like A-Wings which I have literally 8 or more, the new Snowspeeder, the EU Airspeeder, and the AT-TE. 

Taking customizng out of the equation, which is a sort of completely separate hobby to me, I just can't justify all the repaints.  I'm really wanting the CW Kit Fisto fighter for instance, and the E2 style and the CW style Plo Koon fighters too...  I like the repaints, the weirdness of them...  But it's just too much. :(  I don't even know which CW JSF's I'd pick as the "main ones" at this point.  Is it just Obi and Ani?  Just Ani?  Obi, Ani, and Ahsoka?  And that doesn't even get into the other Jedi's version of the same ship.  It's nuts.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77