Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: 4-LOM
« Reply #1 on: November 4, 2010, 10:48 PM »
This will always be Zuckuss to me.  I actually did not have this figure in vintage growing up...but I did thet "4-LOM" in the mail-away promotion they had.

I do like the TVC homage to the error.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2010, 01:26 AM »
Vintage 4-lom, carded as Zuckuss shows nice detail for a variation of C3poīs body. Also his head was the most accurate for the period, his grey eyes were an effort of applying different tones of one colour.

another unusual feature was his red nose, wich made vivid the character.

When I was a kid, as I didnīt get any Bantha tracks or similar magazine, I ignored that 4lom was a droid, I thought he  was an insectoid, cause the depiction of his head looked a bit kinda organic. (I thought he was an insectoid alien in a C3po armor)

The tlc version, depicted his eyes more metallic like, more droid, in the modern versions we got the rust paintjob, kept also for the tvc release.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2010, 04:03 PM by EpicGon »

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2010, 10:52 AM »
When I was a kid, as I didnīt get any Bantha tracks or similar magazine, I ignore that 4lom was a droid, I thought he  was an insectoid, cause the depiction of his head looked a bit kinda organic. (I thought he was an insection alien in a C3po armor)

I thought the same thing!

I always thought of this guy as Zuckuss and always will.  Didn't the name change come from West End Games years after Jedi was released?  So this was not so much a mix up, as it was a EU name change.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I call him 4-LOM...and while the name change was from an EU source, LFL etc have went with it.   Looking at Zuckuss and 4-LOM's head one can see how the error occured...

I loves me the new Vintage CV deco 4-LOM and hopefully it sets the stage for more of these vintage deco versions

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2010, 12:29 PM »
One thing to note...while the CV Zuckuss is a good representation of the vintage figure, the TVC 4-LOM (Zuckuss) is a more movie accurate.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Another interesting discussion my star wars collecting buddies have is how do you pronouce it's name? Is it Four-Lohm or Four El Oh Em? Kinda like See-Three Pee Oh vs just C-3P0 (which infact is a Zero not the letter O(h) ).
I mean we all recognize Artoo -Deetoo as R2-D2 and Eye Gee Eighty-eight for IG-88.

{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: November 5, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Actually that is one of my SW Pet Peeves...C-3PO is an O not a Zero

Like at the official site http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/c3po/

And from Wookieepedia...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/C-3PO

C-3PO's name is often erroneously spelled C-3P0, even in official sources

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 5, 2010, 08:58 PM »
My CV 4-LOM stays in the box. Nice deco, but out of the box what's the point of being an homage to the error? Hopefully one day I can track down an opener (I could only afford one when it was out) because those Vintage style paintjobs are radical, to quote Milhouse.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: November 6, 2010, 12:23 AM »
From what I've recalled about it, the name "change" was actually not so much that it was changed, but that Kenner made a mistake and West End Games just didn't.  I think it's only changed "from a certain point of view" I guess.

Zuckuss/4-LOM was always kind of another "meh" figure.  I guess the whole insect thing didn't intrigue me as a kid (I too thought of him more as a bug, than a droid, when I was younger), so this guy just didn't matter to me and I don't even know if I ever owned one till I was older.  His insane blaster rifle was pretty cool though, and you could always say, "Well he's a droid, so a big assed gun makes sense" too. :)

I thought the POTF2 4-LOM was actually really kind of cool at the time...  It wasn't an absurd sculpt, and other than him not standing well, he was pretty decently sculpted and decoed.  He was an impressive figure for his time.

The 30AC 4-LOM is still a good figure, but many of them had lop-sided legs...  I never have seen the new Vintage COllection figure out of the package, but did they fix the legs?  The TVC figure's paintjob is pretty clean too, and that's not cool either.  4-LOM was obviously pretty rusty for some reason.  He's like the 93 Cavalier of the Star Wars universe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2010, 01:55 PM »
The 30AC 4-LOM is still a good figure, but many of them had lop-sided legs...  I never have seen the new Vintage COllection figure out of the package, but did they fix the legs?  The TVC figure's paintjob is pretty clean too, and that's not cool either.  4-LOM was obviously pretty rusty for some reason.  He's like the 93 Cavalier of the Star Wars universe.

I did not get the 30 AC version, but the TVC version I have does not have that problem.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 7, 2010, 06:32 PM »
The bounty hunters were my favorites. It's nice to see all the updates on 4-LOM (fka Zuckuss)