Author Topic: The Minor Upgrades You'd Actually Like To See  (Read 12685 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
The Minor Upgrades You'd Actually Like To See
« on: November 10, 2010, 09:24 PM »
I was thinking of figures that I'd like to see get minor upgrades (major would be cool too, if done well, but minor upgrades to already pretty good figures is what I'm thinking).  What are the figures you'd like to see get these minor tweaks?  Like, as an example, Stormtroopers getting the ball-jointed hips and coming with maybe a new E-11 and rifle like we're going to get...

I'm into that figure, just not his utterly shite helmet and rifle.  If the helmet and rifle are better than initial pictures, I kinda dig that figure a lot, actually.

My first figure...  Commander Bly.

We've gotten a version or two of Bly, but none have been quite perfect...  They're neat, but I'd gladly take a new one using the ball-jointed hips Clone, maybe a cloth kama, and god-willing a completely accurate paintjob.  Not major tweaks there, as all that pretty much exists.  The only thing new would probably be a removable helmet and possibly a headsculpt (perhaps one that matches his CLone Wars animated headsculpt's look somewhat).  I like the removable helmets, so I'm biased there, but I know CHEWIE doesn't dig them, so I sort of left it off as a major upgrade.  I suspect it would happen though.

I'd live without Bly getting redone though, is my point.  But it's the kind of tweaks that would make me happily rebuy him too. 

This is probably the direction Hasbro will go, with many figures, I believe.  The precedent is obviously there...  Taking something that exists, and doing a little bit to it to make it "better".  I think it's a big part of the realistic line's future.  Hell, it's already in the Clone Wars line even.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Minor Upgrades You'd Actually Like To See
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 08:36 AM »
One that comes time mind right off the bat is the Tusken Raiders elbow joints - other than that I am really happy with the figure.  VOTC Lando has the same issue too.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:37 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 11:01 AM »
I love the evolutions Maul, but that ************ needs some ball joint elbows.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 11:17 AM »
What are the figures you'd like to see get these minor tweaks? 

- VOTC Han Solo with a gun holster that actually attaches to his leg (like Bespin Luke got)
- Shield Generator Assault BP Han Solo with a new torso (the joint is so ugly) and holster (see above) and the Endor Trenchcoat
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 12:04 PM »
VOTC Yoda with new head
VOTC Leia with new head and elbows
BAD C-3PO
Vintage Repaints

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:10 PM »
JJ, great topic choice!

Bespin Lando (New Head, Ball jointed arms)
Imperial Officer (Sanning Crew Repaint, heck use the alternate head to boot!)
BAD Protocol R-3P0 repaint (Make color closer to Saga version)
Yavin Ceremony Luke (New Head, better flesh tone and correct gun)
ANH Leai (New head sculpt)
Hobbie Hoth Pilot (Adjust ecliptic Head to fit SS pilot body)
Bespin Guards New Heads - Foomanchoo, white guy w/edian and the Black Bespin Guard with stash that greet Falcon
Screaming Tin Chewbacca in normal colors (Non snow paint).
Quinlan Vos (Faie version) Robed arms & SA legs
Garindan SA legs and Ball jointed arms

VOTC Leia with new head and elbows

FYI - You can be halfway there already, the Medical frigate Leia has the SA arms, its 100% the same just swap heads with the VOTC Leia head/hands and you can upgrade her right now.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 04:18 PM »
I think this thread is proof the hobby's got life. :)

My next choices, and ones I almost debated doing first for the post, were Jeff's Han Solo choices (in particular for me, the VOTC Han, though I 100% agree on Endor Han as well).

To keep that theme going then...

-VTSC Han Hoth...  Balljointed hips, a cloth "skirt", and the holster tied to the hip.  I want a Han made to ride Taun-Tauns, but rocking the new sculpt.  VTSC Hoth Han's one of my favorite Han figures, but to do what Han does in the films, he needs a bit more.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 04:18 PM »
I know on Leia, the current head sucks though...which is why we need a new one

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 04:27 PM »
I know on Leia, the current head sucks though...which is why we need a new one

Agreed. I like the sculpt on the medical frigate Leia, at least it looks like Carrie.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 04:29 PM »
I think this thread is proof the hobby's got life. :)

Damn right!
This kind of topic is what use to fill the boards everywhere instead of the doom/gloom. This is the kind of thread that I always enjoyed and these types of refreshes I openly welcome.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Call me crazy, but I'd love to get a Hammerhead with more arm articulation and ball joint knees (to sit down in the cantina). Obviously not a huge deal, but it would be cool.

Evolutions Darth Sidious with ROTJ head and better robes would be great as well.

McQuarrie Fett with ankle joints

I agree with Scott on the BAD-style C-3PO

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Call me crazy, but I'd love to get a Hammerhead with more arm articulation and ball joint knees (to sit down in the cantina). Obviously not a huge deal, but it would be cool.

Count me in and call me crazy too. Also, do a variant in Vintage Blue. Call me crazy for thinking a running change is possible...

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 07:40 PM »
I agree with the previous comments about Votc Han, I need a good core version of Han and Leia, Bespin Luke will fill my need on him. Can any of the Chewies sit down? Maybe one with ball joints everywhere. A soft goods Bespin gown Leia? (I always wondered when and why they gave her a chance to change back into the hoth outfit).
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 11:20 PM »
I 100% agree on Hammerhead...  As a matter of fact, I was criticized, for actually criticizing, the last Hammerhead.

Is he a cool sculpt?  No doubt.

Is he a good Cantina alien though?  Since he was sitting, I say no.  And to be honest I think knees should've been given whether sitting or standing simply because he's an "action" figure, implying that he's poseable, and blah blah blah. :)

But Hammerhead I'm all for a retool.

On Scott's point, I'm all-in on a new Leia headsculpt and arms...  VOTC Leia lacked.  She was cool at the time somewhat, but who wouldn't dig better poseable arms and a better likeness on her?  She spends all of ANH in that one outfit pretty much.  She's running around like a jackwagon shooting everyone in sight.  She's a badass bitch! 

And she's got a sub-par figure to show for it.

Ceremoney Luke is a great one too...  I liked what Hasbro wasaiming for in 2007.  The figure's so close, but so far.  I'd probably be content just to get him with the color skin that makes him look reasonably healthy.  A new headsculpt wouldn't hurt either though.

How long have we gotten AOTC style Clones now, but not ones with removable helmets and ball-jointed hips, in the basic line?  Much less repaints to the various officers?  I'm in on buying those.  Maybe not in the mass bulk I used to, but I would buy a red, yellow, blue, green, and some plain white versions that had all those upgrades.

Here's a thought...  And it's obscurity.

The Mon Calamari Officer...  Now that Ackbar got an update, do you care to see that guy get a repaint of Ackbar, rocking the Keds of course, and the helmet?  I'd buy him.  He's stretching things a bit, but again this is a figure with little investment, to turn out something new.  I'd buy him.

And if the last Prune Face doesn't yield us an all-new Prune face by slapping an eyepatch on him, then Hasbro can eat a Green Weenie.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 09:30 AM »
I'd like to see a Hoth Trooper, preferably beardless, or maybe with an entirely new head, with a "goggles up" hat with no scarf.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:30 AM by Greg »